February 2013 Moms
Options

Does anyone here "casually" pump?

Right now I EBF and have only pumped once to relieve engorgement during a nursing strike using my hand pump. Recently I've been thinking it would be nice to have an electric pump around and using it to build up a bit of a stash. It's not something that's necessary as far as I'm not going back to work and I'm not planning on going to all bottles, but I think it would be nice to have some around when need be. So my question is this, does anyone have a single electric pump they would recommend? I'm not sure I want to splurge on a double electric. Or is it worth the splurge if I'm going to use it a few times a week? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does anyone here "casually" pump?

• Options
    I don't pump all the time. Just a few mornings a week to have some on hand for emergencies. And occasionally I'll pump a bottle to take if we go somewhere and I'd rather give a bottle. I got a double electric pump early on, and easily coud have used just a single. And I recently got a manual pump, and that's all I've been using now. I still get just as much milk and I don't have to worry about being near a plug or having batteries. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
    m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby
  • Options
    I religiously pump ... Lol. I have a friend who EBFs her DD and does just fine with a single electric, Philips Avent. I have the same in a double and Im Hooked to it 8x a day for 20min a session. Good quality pump for the price. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am a casual pumper for sure.  I have been trying to be better about feeding only on one side in the morning and then pumping the other, but sometimes I am just too tired.

I use a manual and have for 4.5 months - the Medela Harmony.  It has been fine.  In the mornings using above routine I get about 2-3 ounces so I can make 3 or so bottles a week which is all I need.  I think I have 6 or so frozen right now. 

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options

I'm not returning to work, so I've been refusing to pump.  I do hand express (into a bowl that I pour into a freezer bm bag) after morning and evening feedings.  I've got probably about 65 oz of milk in the freezer just from doing that.  I couldn't hand express well with DS1, but not an issue this time.  If you can, it's a great alternative.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I bought the milk saver. It's a plastic piece you put on on side while you feed on the other. It catches the milk. It worked great for me. I was able to save about 1015 bottles. I have never had to pump. I haven't used the bottles but I have them just encase
    Jenny DiLo
  • Options
    Ebee27Ebee27 member

I casually pump with a double electric Ameda Purely Yours (love the closed system and the price. I think I spent $120). I bought it in case I would miraculously find a job after DS got a bit older, and figured it'd be good to have on hand in the beginning just in case. EBFing has been going well, though, aaaaand now he won't take a bottle =/ He's had 3 or 4 in his lifetime and took them well up until now. I have probably 40 oz in the freezer now.

I must say, though, that DS was sick this week with his first nasty virus. Rash, lost his voice, and nursed twice in a 36 hour period. Thank goodness for my nice pump. I was able to pump every 4 hours to relieve the engorgement and keep my supply up without much fuss.  If all I had was a hand pump, I could have gotten by but it would have been a bit trickier. 

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • Options
    I pump once a day to give to a friend. I have the Medela Swing. It's a single electric, and it works great. Granted, I've never used anything else, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"