September 2012 Moms

Would you work for a friend?

So, I resigned from my job when I was 6 months pregnant, for a lot of reasons, but mostly because my boss at the time was a sociopath who started treating me horribly as soon as he found out I was pregnant.

He's no longer with the company, and my close friend, who at the time, was my equal, has taken over the division. She agreed with the reasons I left, and took a lot of abuse from our old boss herself.

Anyway, she told me that she has an opening in sales that she thinks I should apply for. We always had a lot of fun working & traveling together, but I'm not sure how I feel about working FOR her. 

I have no idea if I even want to go back to work at this point, but it is nice to have that option. 

Would you ever work for a close friend, or is that weird? 

Re: Would you work for a friend?

• I've done it, and I would do it again. But it is something that requires evaluation/discussion prior to it happening.

Are you both able to separate work life and happenings from personal? If you have to argue in work about work, are you able to continue your friendship without thought? Like I said, I'd talk to her. As long as you are both comfortable and think you can separate the two, I'd go for it (if you decide to at all).

"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • It would completely depend on the friend.  I think you're at an advantage making this decision in that she's a work friend--you know how she is as a colleague, which probably gives you insight into how she is as a boss.  I have friends I would work for and friends I wouldn't even work in the same ZIP code with--it's really dependent for me on the person and how I think they would be as a boss.  Someone could be a great friend, a great colleague, but a craptastic boss--and if you're in that boat, yeah, I would bow out of this opportunity.  But if not, I think you can move past any potential weirdness.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BPerBPer member
    imageHyaline:

It would completely depend on the friend.  I think you're at an advantage making this decision in that she's a work friend--you know how she is as a colleague, which probably gives you insight into how she is as a boss.  I have friends I would work for and friends I wouldn't even work in the same ZIP code with--it's really dependent for me on the person and how I think they would be as a boss.  Someone could be a great friend, a great colleague, but a craptastic boss--and if you're in that boat, yeah, I would bow out of this opportunity.  But if not, I think you can move past any potential weirdness.  

I feel like she'd be a great boss, but I'd have a hard time adjusting to it, being that we were equals before. Also, even then, we were constantly talking about work in the off-hours. We were both total workaholics. 

• imageBPer:
    imageHyaline:

It would completely depend on the friend.  I think you're at an advantage making this decision in that she's a work friend--you know how she is as a colleague, which probably gives you insight into how she is as a boss.  I have friends I would work for and friends I wouldn't even work in the same ZIP code with--it's really dependent for me on the person and how I think they would be as a boss.  Someone could be a great friend, a great colleague, but a craptastic boss--and if you're in that boat, yeah, I would bow out of this opportunity.  But if not, I think you can move past any potential weirdness.  

I feel like she'd be a great boss, but I'd have a hard time adjusting to it, being that we were equals before. Also, even then, we were constantly talking about work in the off-hours. We were both total workaholics. 

Sounds like me and my closest work friend from before DD :)  I thought about her when reading your post--actually thought in terms of "If E called and offered me an interview or job...I would do it in a heartbeat."  I'd have to adjust, but I guess I know in that particular friendship, it wouldn't pose long-term threats to the friendship. But thinking of other friends of mine, I would decline because they'd be goshawful bosses. 

Now I'm kinda missing work... 

• hmp1hmp1 member

My bff was my boss when I lived in TX. We met at work so I think that might be a difference, she was my boss before we became super close outside of work. I am also friends outside of the office with my boss now.

It would depend what kind of worker you are/she is and what the position requires. Is it conducive to having a young child or will your boss/bf get frustrated if you need to call in often. Do you know her management style and is it the same style you like to be managed by?

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• No, I dont mix friendships and work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Nope. There are very few people in my life that I would want to work for. I wouldn't want to jeopardize the relationship if something were to go wrong.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I have done it and I would again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have, it didn't work out. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • miss50miss50 member

I currently work for a friend.  The difference however is that she owns the business with her husband.  Your friend doesn't own the business, so i think that makes a difference and there will always be a voice of reason isf something happens that you don't feel comfortable with.

Do you like and respect her work ethics?  Do you think she is going to realize how different life becomes when you have a child/family?  I think this could be important in how you look at your position and being workaholic. 

I worked for family, now a friend, and I cannot wait to leave this position and work corporate.  When my friends tell me about available positions I immediately ask if I would be working with them/same building/different location etc.

Congrats on the job offer btw.  I bet it feels great to know how much you were respected at your previous job. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"