Preemies
Options

35-36 weekers: anyone care to share their story?

Hi everyone! I used to frequent these boards a few years ago when my 33 weeker was born and found the support here so useful during the NICU days and beyond! I'm now 34 weeks pregnant with my third child and we could possibly be looking at a delivery in the 35th or 36th week due to gallbladder issues. I'm still crossing my fingers we can make it to 37 weeks, but would any 35 or 36 weeker mom care to share her experience? I had my first son a couple days shy of 37 weeks and he didn't need NICU, just a week's treatment for jaundice, mostly done at home. But I know experiences can vary widely.

Thanks in advance!!

Hawaii

Re: 35-36 weekers: anyone care to share their story?

• Options
    I had a 35 weeker last month. I just posted my intro a few posts down "belated intro". Message me if you want more details or want to chat!
  • Options
    My 35 weeker boy had minimal complications. He didnt have any breathing complications but did have jaundice. He also didnt really know when he was hungry and I had to feed by clock instead of demand the first 2 weeks. He wouldn't latch but some of that was contributed to tongue tie. He has grown and developed on track with birth age and his pedi isn't adjusting him for preemie any more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you so much to everyone who shared their story. I don't feel very confident that I will be able to make it to my 37 week goal, which is very emotional for me to say the least. But it gives me hope to read your stories that maybe if I had our baby at 35 weeks that we wouldn't have the 3 week NICU stay like my 33 weeker had.

Thanks so much!

Hawaii
  • Options
    DS2 (will be 4 in 3mos) was born at 35wk, 5d.  No NICU time but did stay in the hospital one extra day to make sure he could maintain his body temperature.  He was diagnosed with CP at 9mos, 3wk, 3d.  He was born via emergency c/s due to lack of movement and failing all of the monitoring tests that night/morning.  Overall pregnancy was fine without any issues.  He is a funny little guy who is pretty healthy besides the CP.
  • Options
    My dd was born at 35 weeks exactly and was 3 lbs 11 oz. I had pre e and they think she stopped growing around 33 weeks. My placenta was very small but nothing came back in the tests they did. She spent a week in the nicu mostly because of eating.

Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've had two 35 weekers. The first was 35+5, 6 lb 2 oz.  No NICU time but we stayed one more day at my OB's request since the baby was early.  That final day he decided to stop BF and we had to supplement with formula.  He also had problems controlling his temp but not too bad.  We had a few extra doctor's visits the first few months to keep an eye on weight and temp but overall no major concerns.

My other child was born this year at 35+4 and stayed in NICU for 10 days.  He was on CPAP for about a day, had a few Brady's, slow weight gain, suck/swallow/breath took awhile to kick in, and temp issues.  He came home on a monitor for a few weeks and didn't pass his car seat test so rode in a car bed for a month. Although he was born at 7 lb 2.5 oz, he is now 5 months and only about 12 lbs so we still struggle with weight but he eats a ton so I think he has fast metabolism like his other brothers.  Otherwise, he is healthy now with no major concerns. 

Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options

My DD was born just prior to 36 weeks when my water broke unexpectedly and she was 5 lb 3 oz. She wasn't in the NICU (and didn't even have jaundice which the pedi was pleasantly surprised about)! She wouldn't latch so that was the only issue we had. My pedi never adjusted her age. She is still small (10%), but that's due to her reflux. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Hi there! DD was born at 36 weeks, and though we had no NICU time, we did have to go back in for a PICU STAY due to jaundice ad weight loss. She's doing we'll now, but here are my thoughts:

If you have no "problems" the hospital will treat you as term. Make VERY sure you see an LC and or schedule an extra pediatrician visit for the day after you come home, rather than waiting for day 2 or 3. I've now learned that it's very common for near term babies to not have the instinct or the stamina to suck effectively, but as a FTM, I had no idea.

Near term babies are also more prone to jaundice overall, but combined with trouble eating, it can intensify.

If I had to do it again, I would also push the doctors at the hospital to tell me more details about what to watch out for, and specifically ask them about what it means to have a near term baby.

Good luck! It was a tough first couple of weeks for us, but we're doing we'll now, so don't worry to much, yo'll do great!
  • Options

Our LO was born at 35 weeks exactly and was 4 pounds 11 ounces.  I had pre-e and she was born by emergency c-section after I became non-responsive and she started having late decels.  LO had no breathing issues, slight jaundice, good blood sugar control, but issues with temp regulation.  We had her bundled up like she was going to Antartica.  :D She didn't have to go to NICU at all, but we did have to go to high risk post partum due to my pre-e and we stayed an extra day just to make sure her temperature was going to maintain well enough.  We did TONS of kangaroo care and still do.

She is now 11 weeks (12 on Thursday) but adjusted is 6 weeks.  She is doing excellent with her milestones, actually advanced even for a 11 week old, but we are dealing with GERD and lactose/soy intolerances.

I would say the biggest problems we have had since getting her temperature regulation down is her eating.  She was unable to breastfeed due to inability to suck, swallow, breathe and I was unable to keep my mild supply up by strictly pumping.  We went through every brand of formula and finally found that Gerber Good Start Sensitive is what she can tolerate due to proteins being broken down. I think once we get the GERD figured out and managed with the correct medications and dosages we will have a much happier little girl.  

Good luck and hopefully your LO does great and stays in while longer but late preterm seem to do really well. 

• Options
    My dd was born 36w1d and did not go to the nicu. Though we were back at the er less than a week later due to significant weight loss. Other then that and a little jaundice she is perfectly healthy 6 week old now
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 

• Options
    DS was born at 36wk 5 days.  He was pretty big for a preemie, 6lb 6.8 oz and 195. in.  He didn't need any NICU time, and I don't remember him needing to sit under the lamp for jaundice.  He could not get the hang of latching AT ALL.  Make sure you see an LC ASAP if you have issues.  

DS is doing really well for being preemie, the only big issues he's had are not latching, having torticollis (which resulted in positional plagiocephaly, aka a flat spot on his head) and needing physical therapy for that.  He's doing VERY well considering where he was when we started 3 months ago.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"