Food & Nutrition

Super mush to the rescue!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my partner's recipe for "mush" (which is better than it sounds!). He would make this for himself in grad school to make sure he was getting the nutrition he needed on a busy schedule and a budget. After we found out we were pregnant, he stocked my freezer full of this for the same reason. 

In a large pot, boil water and add chicken breasts and cube steak, let boil a few minutes, then add a large yam cut into sections, carrots, an onion, a clove of garlic, spinach, a pepper (green, red, or yellow), yellow squash, a head of broccoli ,and zucchini. Add spices and seasoning to taste. Cook until done (about 20 minutes). Spoon into a blender (using more or less of the broth, depending on how thick you want it, you can make it very soupy if you prefer). Blend and place aside in containers until all is blended. Mix all together in the pot, then respoon into Tupperware (freezable and microwavable) containers. Freeze until ready to eat! Usually cooks in microwave from frozen in about ten minutes.

Viola!  Easy and economical way to get a big portion of your daily nutrients. Also very convenient to have for lunch on a busy schedule. You can play with the proportions and find out how you like it the best. I find a bigger yam ratio makes it more creamy and sweet. More meat gives it a pot roast taste. Also, best to figure out what serving (container) sizes are best for you, since you shouldn't refreeze it.

I'll admit that it can get boring to eat every day, but if you are doing the 5-6 small meals, then a little serving of it will go a long way (and will keep you full). 

Enjoy! 

***I forgot to add mushrooms!***

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"