3rd Trimester

Running in the 3rd Tri

Mobile Bumpers: Running in the 3rd Tri 

I'm 30 weeks and I am in need of some motivation to keep running. I am usually highly self motivated and a bit stubborn when it comes to pushing through discomfort. I still enjoy my runs, but it's getting slower and slower. It is still a good workout, but I find myself longing for my sprint intervals and higher intensity workouts! I run a little over 5 miles twice a week, so I know it already isn't much in terms of my overall routine. I resistance train 4 days a week and then I do an alternative cardio workout the last day of the week.

I know there are more runners out there who are putting in more miles than I am! Please share any words of encouragement to keep running if you have a chance! I hope all is well and TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Running in the 3rd Tri

• I wish I could help you and offer some advice! I am HUGE into running, but LO has not allowed me to run since 7 weeks.  Good luck to you with continued running!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • HhaberHhaber member

I am 31 weeks 5 days and VERY into running, but unfortunately, I cannot put in as many miles as I would like to either. I have gone from 4 miles a day to 2 miles a day 2-3 times a week and 1 mile the other 2-3 days. It is just too painful for me now. I strained a groin muscle a couple of weeks ago, and it is too hard to run. I can barely do what I do now.

All I can tell you to motivate you is take advantage while you still can! I thought I would run until I delivered, but I am now understanding that I probably won't be able to.  I am super discouraged because I hear about women who run through their entire pregnancy. I wish I could, but I have to listen to my body.  It is obviously telling me to take a break for now. I will probably have to stop very soon and just focus on spin classes, swimming, and weight training. Just know you may have to stop soon, so run as much as possible before then. I am jealous if that helps :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageHhaber:

I am 31 weeks 5 days and VERY into running, but unfortunately, I cannot put in as many miles as I would like to either. I have gone from 4 miles a day to 2 miles a day 2-3 times a week and 1 mile the other 2-3 days. It is just too painful for me now. I strained a groin muscle a couple of weeks ago, and it is too hard to run. I can barely do what I do now.

All I can tell you to motivate you is take advantage while you still can! I thought I would run until I delivered, but I am now understanding that I probably won't be able to.  I am super discouraged because I hear about women who run through their entire pregnancy. I wish I could, but I have to listen to my body.  It is obviously telling me to take a break for now. I will probably have to stop very soon and just focus on spin classes, swimming, and weight training. Just know you may have to stop soon, so run as much as possible before then. I am jealous if that helps :)

I had a pang in my IT band near the end of my run today, so I'm trying not to push it so a pull something or my ITB Syndrome returns with a vengeance. I know it may get to a point where it's painful and I can't, so I'm definitely trying to take advantage without pushing beyond my limits! I'm glad you're able to keep doing other things. I will most likely move to a spin class or alternating between elliptical and spin for cardio when/if running becomes a non-option. I'll be listening to my body until then! Thanks :) 

• ajbookajbook member
    I am continuing to "race" as motivation to keep running. I am running one half marathon each trimester. My last one will be a relay so I run 2.18 miles then rest while my partner runs, then run again. We each run 6 loops. Having running partners has helped a lot too. I'm running with different people than normal because my pace is so much slower, but they def help me stay accountable.

Happy running!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • I 32 weeks and have still been running. I have a 5k race on July 15 that I am "training" for. I put training in quotes because I don't really need to train for a 5k, but it keeps me running. I did have to ditch my running today and do the elliptical instead because I was too uncomfortable when I tried to run. I usually wear a support belt and I forgot it so I think that's why.

It's important to stay fit but also listen to your body. I got back in running shape very quickly last time and I didn't even run as long, so don't feel too bad as you slow down and reduce mileage.
  • cjm724cjm724 member
    Good for you for keeping up with your running! I am 36 weeks and i have had to cut my runs down to every other day for the past 3 weeks because otherwise my hips and pelvic bones start to ache. Still able to get in about 18 miles a week though, so I feel pretty good about that. Keep up the hard work but listen to your body!
  • imageAjboocher:
    I am continuing to "race" as motivation to keep running. I am running one half marathon each trimester. My last one will be a relay so I run 2.18 miles then rest while my partner runs, then run again. We each run 6 loops. Having running partners has helped a lot too. I'm running with different people than normal because my pace is so much slower, but they def help me stay accountable. Happy running!!

What kind of race is this? What do they call it? I love the concept. I don't think it's anything I would have noticed prior to being pregnant because a relay just wasn't my thing, but now it seems so perfect! I wonder if there is anything like it in my area. 

• imagecjm724:
    Good for you for keeping up with your running! I am 36 weeks and i have had to cut my runs down to every other day for the past 3 weeks because otherwise my hips and pelvic bones start to ache. Still able to get in about 18 miles a week though, so I feel pretty good about that. Keep up the hard work but listen to your body!

Nice work!! I think I'm going to try running fewer miles at a time and more days a week. It will mean running on a lifting day, but I think it might feel better and I'll be able to keep running longer.  

• ajbookajbook member
    It's a marathon relay. You can run all 12 laps yourself for a full 26.2, have a partner and each run a half, or be in a group of 4 and each run a 10k. This one is in Indianapolis, not sure where you live.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • I have no advice, as I had to stop running due to an SCH at 7 weeks, but I am reading this and am soooo jealous! I have done several marathon relays and LOVE them. I love the camaraderie and they are manageable distances, but the event makes for a very fun morning. I was just talking to DH about when I could plan my first races after LO arrives. How soon after you all delivered previously did you get back into running?

I know it will take me a lot longer to get my mileage back having taken so long off, but I am hoping it won't be too bad!  

• imageechanduga:

I have no advice, as I had to stop running due to an SCH at 7 weeks, but I am reading this and am soooo jealous! I have done several marathon relays and LOVE them. I love the camaraderie and they are manageable distances, but the event makes for a very fun morning. I was just talking to DH about when I could plan my first races after LO arrives. How soon after you all delivered previously did you get back into running?

I know it will take me a lot longer to get my mileage back having taken so long off, but I am hoping it won't be too bad!  

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about the hiatus from running! The best news is that you'll be back to it before you know it. I wish I could tell you how soon PP running might be in the game plan, but I'm a FTM. As for my friends who have done it, I've had some friends who push it too soon and end up with bleeding and complications healing properly. It sounds like it's common to wait 5-6 weeks before easing back into an activity like running, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I'm encouraged by these marathon relay ideas! I've done several half marathons and a whole marathon in addition to the occasional 5k, 7k, and 10k, and I think I prefer anything at the half marathon distance or less for the sake of preserving my body. I dealt with intense overuse injuries for almost 2 years following my first marathon, and I'm well aware my body just might not be made for distances like that, so I think I'll be looking into some fun relay options for PP!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"