3rd Trimester

Question for STM's

I know it's impossible to know babies size when they're born, but being me and my husband were small babies and at our last u/s our LO was in the 30th percentile I'm anticipating at the smallest somewhere near 6lbs and up. Anyway how long are babies in newborn diapers? We only got one pack at our shower but a ton of size 1 will these cover it after we use up the NB size or should we buy more?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for STM's

• I honestly don't remember but I do know that DD was in them a lot longer than I ever imagined. It really sucked/was expensive buying a bunch of the small packs; I didn't want to buy a large pack because I never thought we'd need them. 

This time I bought one large pack of NBs and am waiting to see how far they get us.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd wait and see. Just run to the store and get more diapers if you need them. You don't have to be contained at home :.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • It is hard to say, with DS he was for a while. He was born 7lbs 5oz but lost more weight then they had wanted to see (which can happen more then you think) I had a few NB out fits and 1 pack of newborn diapers. My family went out and got a bunch of NB outfits while I was still in the hospital. The nurses also told me to pack away all the packs of diapers/wipes they bring and we didn't use during the day... they will restock every morning or when you ask... so we brought home a lot of extras too. Other then that I just ordered on Amazon and it was shipped right to my door as needed. That way I didn't have to much left over when we went up a size. I will do the same this go around :)
  • Hmmm ok. Well I plan on cloth diapering but only one size which I know don't start to fit well until they're a little bigger. Maybe I'll exchange some of the size 1 or size 2 packs I got for NB as we go. I just wanted disposable for the beginning and planned on just using up whatever else I got and then not needing to buy anymore
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
  • My son who was 7lbs 9 oz at birth was in newborn diapers for longer than I thought he would be.  I think we used them for like 2-3 months then transitioned into the size 1.   
    BabyFruit Ticker 9/19/12: Miscarriage at 12wks due to Triploidy, D&C 9/24/12 - I will forever miss you my little angel
  • imageAshesha13:
    Hmmm ok. Well I plan on cloth diapering but only one size which I know don't start to fit well until they're a little bigger. Maybe I'll exchange some of the size 1 or size 2 packs I got for NB as we go. I just wanted disposable for the beginning and planned on just using up whatever else I got and then not needing to buy anymore

If you plan on cloth diapering, I would exchange the size 2 packs for newborn. I remember being surprised my 9+ lb baby stayed in NB diapers for a week (which, when you consider newborns go through 12-14 diapers a day, that's actually quite a lot of diapers). If you have OS cloth diapers, chances are, by the time LO fits into size 2 he/she will fit into your OS cloth, but maybe not by size 1. 

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I personally would go and exchange at least 1-2 packs for newborn, IMO. With DD, the doc predicted she would be 8-9 pds..HA! She was only 6 pds 7 oz and was in newborns for months! My Mom went and exchanged some 1's for the newborn sizes. Right now, I have about 10-12 packs and they are 1/2 NB and 1/2 1's
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We did cloth and did go ahead and do two sizes of prefolds. DD was in the first size cloth for awhile--she wouldn't have been able to be in the second size for a good long time. So be sure to double check when the ones you have actually start. DD was 6 lb 13 oz and we had to fold down even the small size prefolds for a while. Thus, you might actually need the size 1 disposables if your cloth won't work for a while.

As for disposables, I'd be cautious about stocking up too much--I'd be tempted to just return the larger disposables for money or store credit if you can--not just because of size but because (1) diapers fit babies differently so what works well for one may or may not for another and (2) some babies have a reaction to some diapers but not others. I wouldn't want a ton I had to replace or waste. 

• I'm a FTM but I had this discussion with my mom when we didn't get any diapers at our shower. DH and I were both about 8lbs (he was a little over, I was a bit under) so I wasn't sure how long our baby would last in them if baby comes out at about the same weight. My mom said I was in NBs for a long time (months) because I had such a slight frame that it was like my weight didn't matter (I wore a lot of preemie clothes for a long time and I was a week late!). I was only 14lbs at a year old so she said that her advice based off myself was probably not worth my time Lol But DH was more filled out than I was and graduated through diapers quicker. I just picked up a couple packs of NB just in case and plan on exchanging if I need to.
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think for almost 2m. Along with NB clothes. DD was 7lbs6oz at birth but was a slow gainer.

• DS was 7lbs 1oz and stayed in newborn diapers for just over a month.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • Daughter was 7 lbs 10 ounces but then had a problem maintaining weight for a while. She was in newborn diapers for much longer than expected and didn't even fit newborn clothes for a while. I think it is all going to depend on the baby.

Keep receipts so you can exchange for a bigger size if need be. That's what we did. For the opened newborn package that she outgrew we took it to a consignment and got some back for it. Might also want to look into a diaper exchange. I know near me there is a consignment that has some kind of program where you trade your current size diapers for another size and you pay a couple bucks compared to full price. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lbear8Lbear8 member
    imageBelhurstBride:

I honestly don't remember but I do know that DD was in them a lot longer than I ever imagined. It really sucked/was expensive buying a bunch of the small packs; I didn't want to buy a large pack because I never thought we'd need them. 

This time I bought one large pack of NBs and am waiting to see how far they get us.  

Same for me, I am just planning on one large pack and will get more if needed.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have 6-7lb Babies and we get about a month out of NB size. I make very fatty milk apparently, and my kids chunk up pretty quick :)
    image image

• I can't remember size wise, but my daughter was 7.7 and lasted through three boxes of newborn diapers. So I would have two or three stocked up if I were you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My second son was 9lbs 7 ozs. We only used about one pack of nb diapers. I stock up on 1s. I used them for a few months.
  • imagereason00:
    I'd wait and see. Just run to the store and get more diapers if you need them. You don't have to be contained at home :.

This- we actually ran out and got preemie diapers after leaving the hospital because the NB ones were HUGE on my babies (they ranged from 6-8 pounds so not "tiny").  My kids were tall and thin and the newborns were just too wide.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I would buy more, maybe two or three packs, just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"