January 2013 Moms

calling the doctor situation?

long time lurker... first time poster :)

background: dh and i are first time parents.  our son was born on january 3rd, so he will be 6 months next week!  we started solids at 5 months per our pedi and ds absolutely loves everything we have tried so far.  we have been using the gerber organics first foods and ellas kitchen stage 1.

so tonight: we tried mangoes.  baby loved them and gobbled them right down.  about an hour afterwards, he developed some red patches on his forehead and cheeks.  nothing bad at all, just more red than normal.  he wasn't acting differently, and he wasn't having trouble breathing or anything, but the patches were warm to the touch and i was nervous!  i called the after hours service to talk to the nurse there; the one i talked to when he had a 102 fever last time was amazing.  this time, the woman told me to give him a tablespoon of childrens benadryl (WHAT?!) and watch him.  after i asked "are you sure about the benadryl?"  she said "well, actually no benadryl.  sorry, i guess im just in shock that you decided to give your 6 month old mangoes.  lay off the mangoes until he is a year old."  AND SHE HUNG UP.   

i guess i should have done more research or something, but i didnt realize mangoes were an issue?   i guess basically this is a vent post, but also, should i have expected this?  the ella's kitchen package said "stage 1, 4 months" so i didnt think a thing about it! 

sorry that my "coming out" post is a rant, but seriously lady?!?  

btw baby is not red any longer and went to bed like the perfect angel he is! :)

Re: calling the doctor situation?

• Glad the redness went away and he's fine. I don't know much about solids, haven't started them yet. But if package said it was for their age or stage I wouldn't of thought it wouldn't be okay. But that sounds really rude and wrong of the on call nurse!! She should of been more helpful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd think if the label said 4 months, it wouldn't be an issue. I'd be super angry if I was hung up on.

• Loading the player...
  • I can't believe she hung up on you! I would've done the same thing with the packaging.

I feel like I must be missing something with the Benadryl, though. Why would it be SO bad? Obviously it's not ideal, but if DD has a reaction to any food I will not hesitate to give her Benadryl per my pedi's recommendation, but maybe we have different instructions because DD's allergic to peanuts already and is at greater risk for a more serious reaction to who knows what. And, what appears to be a fairly mild reaction can get nasty really fast. Just curious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First, WELCOME!
    Second, I am glad your LO is OK.
    Third, how rude!
  • I've heard that mangos may not be a good very first food.  I think it's one of those that are supposed to be more of a "stage 2", but I've not specifically heard to wait until after a year.  It's just that they an be allergenic.  

Anyway, I don't think you were wrong for giving them and a big WTF to the nurse you spoke with!  I would call your doctor's office during regular hours and alert them to your experience.  That's pretty unacceptable.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagemartha919:
    I can't believe she hung up on you! I would've done the same thing with the packaging. I feel like I must be missing something with the Benadryl, though. Why would it be SO bad? Obviously it's not ideal, but if DD has a reaction to any food I will not hesitate to give her Benadryl per my pedi's recommendation, but maybe we have different instructions because DD's allergic to peanuts already and is at greater risk for a more serious reaction to who knows what. And, what appears to be a fairly mild reaction can get nasty really fast. Just curious.

I could be wrong (because I feel like these things change all the time), but I'm pretty sure Benadryl is not to be administered prior to 6 months old and only under certain circumstances before the age of 2.  I also think 1T seems like a big dose.  

Obviously if it's an extreme situation and under a doctor's supervision it's another thing.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'm not sure about the mangos, but I agree if it's in a baby food I'd feel like it's fine.

Also, we've been giving DS 1/2 tsp of benadryl the past 3 nights for post-nasal drip and cough that's been lingering for a month, per our pedi's recommendation. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • SWOG31SWOG31 member

That nurse was very rude. I would alert your pedi about the possible reaction.

When DD was suffering really badly from nasal congestion, our pedi cautiously said I could give her 1ml of children's benedryl one time per day. However, she stressed ONLY when the congestion was really bad, ONLY once per day, and ONLY the 1ml. She gave me the syringe to use and marked it for me. DD had just turned 5 months at the time. I was too scared to give it to her after all the restrictions she put on it.

image ?/25 my chart image
  • I think a smaller dose of Benadryl is perfectly okay, but 1 T sounded like a whole lot!!
  • imageceburr01:
    I think a smaller dose of Benadryl is perfectly okay, but 1 T sounded like a whole lot!!

Haha, thanks for clearing that up for me, guys! When I looked at our dropper I realized that our dose is half a tspn, so yeah...1T would be a TON.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"