January 2013 Moms

First solid question

I have read a lot of posts and I haven't seen anyone mention meat as the first food for breastfed babies. Our pediatrician and the APA recommend this. I want to start this week and was going to do turkey first Gerber brand . I was planning on making own food but not meat! Anyways, any recommendations on how to do this.... Do you warm it up? Mix with cereal?

Re: First solid question

• I *think* meat as a first food is more often recommended as a first food in other countries (like Canada, Europe).  I think that may be due to it usually being mixed with vegetables in commercial baby food and the recommendation is to introduce things one at a time to watch for reaction.  Also, I would expect it might be hard to get it to a good texture and some babies are picky about that (but others aren't!).  And of course it could be a strong flavor.

With that said, you can start off with meat.  Any food is fine, really.  I'm sure it's beneficial for the iron, which is something doctors are concerned about.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I havent fed any meat to LO yet. We started with veggies. IMO, to me the meat smells like tuna.. or cat food. So I think when we start feeding her meat, ill make it myself. Lol Hoping it tastes/smells better if I make it. We'll see!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I won't do meat until she's doing finger foods.  I think pureed meat is gross and unnatural, I don't see how it's necessary at this age either.  I also never bought the baby food meat, I just cooked my own ground beef or chicken and cut it up tiny.  Her first food was bananas.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm in Canada, my doctor wants her on meat by 6 months so we have started veggies and fruits first.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • ==N====N== member
    We haven't started meat yet but dd's pedi said we didn't have to wait.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"