September 2012 Moms

Birthday cakes

Are you guys purchasing/ordering a birthday cake? Or making it yourself?

If you're making it yourself, show me your inspiration? I want to see how talented y'all are. I'm not.

If you're ordering it, what is a reasonable amount to spend on a birthday cake? I just got a quote on the birthday cake I wanted, for about 30 ppl, and I'm thinking it is probably too pricey.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birthday cakes

• I'm making cupcakes or cake pops for the masses. My cousin will make a giant cupcake cake without eggs or sugar for dd to destroy. I'll make cut outs for whatever theme I land on and use plain whipped cream to frost.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am going to make G's. I took some decorating classes. So for her pics I will make a smash cake and probably cupcakes for her party. Pink lemonade themed.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetab&bob2008:

First of all, I love that siggie pic. You know I love me some meatball. :)

I am making it due to the price of sheet cakes. This is my inspiration for a dinosaur party:

I want  to find eggs and plastic toys for the top and have a banner across. I love the idea of cupcakes mostly for other kiddos who attend.

Gotta love pinterest.

Aww thanks! The pic cracks me up, because it is so him. He is pretty much unimpressed with anything you might think would be impressive.

Cute cake! It looks like it would be easy to do. I'm terrible at frosting things though, so that's what I'm most afraid of and why I'm reluctant to make my own cake. And time. I feel like I'm doing everything else. If we were going to have the party catered, I would attempt to make the cake I think.

• Not sure, but I do know that some of the 'high end' grocery stores will give you a free smash cake for LO's first birthday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll probably make my own. Nothing fancy: This is my inspiration

farming cake.

Then for the smash cake, my photographer includes on in the price of her package so I'll do that with the John Deere green/yellow color scheme as that will be the theme of the party!

• imageCdnFarmGirl08:
    I'll probably make my own. Nothing fancy: This is my inspirationnbsp;Then for the smash cake, my photographer includes on in the price of her package so I'll do that with the John Deere green/yellow color scheme as that will be the theme of the party!

That is cute! I will be making ours as well and will probably do something like this, basic shaped cake with cute stuff on top. Also DSs 1st bday is also MILs 70th so we are doing a combined party. So there'll probably be 2 cakes. One with butterflies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Purchasing.  I love a good themey cake. :)

• I'm making DS's! My mom always made all our birthday cakes growing up and I plan to do the same. DS will have his own small 6" cake to smash and I will either make a couple stacked 8" cakes or a sheet cake haven't decided yet. I found some ideas for decorating on Pinterest just a matter of deciding which to do.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemssm2012:
    I'm thinking about ordering a cake from the pastry chef who made our wedding cake, and I'm guessing it would be about the same cost as wedding cake 3/pp. We're having a very small party.If I don't get it from her, I'll make one actually two one will be a 'smash' cake for DD... plus a few practice cakes ahead of time. nbsp;nbsp;

Ohh do you mind sharing who you use? Maybe I will get another quote. I don't have a bakery per se.

• klgrh6klgrh6 member

I will be making DD's cake. I was a cake decorator for Sam's club for 6 years. We will have about 40-60 people, and I will be making a sand castle cake for everyone, a smash cake for her party and a smash cake for her birthday/family photos we're doing about 2 weeks before her party.

Here's are some of my inspirations our theme is bubble guppies/under the sea.

Sand Castle Cake

Sand castle  Cake by Cakemedic

• I think my sister will make cupcakes. I saw a cute one with a kite on it. Not gonna try to find it on my phone, but it was cute so we will try that.

I don't know if we will do a separate smash cake or just give him a cupcake.

• In theory, I would love to make cakes myself, but realistically, I know I will never have the time.

DS's 1st bday cake was a custom firetruck cake. It was $100, I think. MH found a lady that does cakes on the side. It came out just ok, we thought. It was about 3xs as big as we thought it would be, lol:

For his 2nd bday, we had a custom 2 tier MMCH cake made. It was $150 - Marshmallow fondant icing & canolli cream filling. I was reluctant to do fondant b/c it usually tastes nasty, but most people ate it or just peeled it off. It didn't taste half bad, though, to my surprise.

• imagethe mathlete:

I had not even considered getting a professional cake. 

There are going to be like, 10 people at our "party" ... probably not worth a $300 cake.  

Our Albertsons has a nice bakery, they can do almost anything from a picture on a small cake.  Not super expensive. :)

• imageLoveLossHopeRepeat:
    I'm probably making cupcakes and a smash cake. The cupcakes will just have picks as decor, but the smash cake will look like a monkey face. Unless I decide at the last minute to farm it out. We'll see! Mia's last birthday cake was 60 dollars for 20 people. I've also made a lot of her cakes. The ruffle cake was my pride and joy.

I think it should be a requirement that you get an Ace of Cakes cake since your in the vicinity. ;)

• We went to Holiday Market for ours. I want to say the cake was around $30-$35 or so for a 12-15 person cake (with a custom 2-character design based on the party invitation we gave them to fit our theme). They give a free smash cake for first birthdays as well. It was a lot cheaper than I was expecting, honestly. With how much else I have to do the day of the party, I think I'd rather just pay the $35 and be done with it. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageklgrh6:

I will be making DD's cake. I was a cake decorator for Sam's club for 6 years. We will have about 40-60 people, and I will be making a sand castle cake for everyone, a smash cake for her party and a smash cake for her birthday/family photos we're doing about 2 weeks before her party.

Here's are some of my inspirations our theme is bubble guppies/under the sea.

Sand Castle Cake

Sand castle  Cake by Cakemedic

Whoa! Impressive! I really want to learn cake decorating.

Toni, love the new siggy! I'm probably making the cake, which might end up being cupcakes, depending on what's easier for a Teddy Bear theme. If I can figure out this YouTube video or something similar, I would love to do a girly-looking rose cake and just have Teddy Bear cookies or something.

• imageJAM828:

Your new siggy! I die. 

We're only having a cake for DS. I bought a big cupcake pan from Joanns, so he'll have a massive cupcake to destroy :) Really similar to this one:

Mustache Bash 1st Birthday Party Ideas

Desserts for everyone else at the party will be cake pops, cupcakes, and cookies.

I really want a cake stand like that! Anyone know where to get it?

View Raw Image'>

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm having the 1st birthday cake and a smash cake made by a local baker for about $160.

The birthday cake is a little castle with a dragon on top, with a knight outside of the castle doors. It'll feed about 20 people.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • I always make the boys cakes (especially with Colbys food intollerances) Want to make yourself feel better? Here's a pic of Keagan's first birthday cake.  It was supposed to be a train, but I waited too long to frost it (read: the morning of his party ah hem) so it didn't have time to set right and it was falling apart, it was essentially a "train wreck"

and just because I'm an AW, here he is getting messy :)

so for his 2nd birthday party I went plain and simple with a "jungle" animal theme and just bought plastic animals to go on top

and for his 3rd birthday which was a tractor theme and I had a 2 month old that was up every hour I pulled this off:

So for Colby we are doing a nautical theme (because really, I just want to put him in a sailor suit) I will do a smashcake that looks like this (hopefully)

and then the regular cake for everyone else will look like this (hopefully)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • imageorigamipoppy:

I'm making his smash cake and cupcakes for everyone else. I used to bake professionally so I have all the gear and it's my forte. I'm making homemade funfetti:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/12/19/easy-homemade-funfetti-cupcakes/

Our "theme" is 'I just really like rainbows.'

Funfetti is my favorite!

Also Connor's party is rainbow/hot air balloons!

• imageHolly_1007:

I always make the boys cakes (especially with Colbys food intollerances) Want to make yourself feel better? Here's a pic of Keagan's first birthday cake.  It was supposed to be a train, but I waited too long to frost it (read: the morning of his party ah hem) so it didn't have time to set right and it was falling apart, it was essentially a "train wreck"

so for his 2nd birthday party I went plain and simple with a "jungle" animal theme and just bought plastic animals to go on top

and for his 3rd birthday which was a tractor theme and I had a 2 month old that was up every hour I pulled this off:

So for Colby we are doing a nautical theme (because really, I just want to put him in a sailor suit) I will do a smashcake that looks like this (hopefully)

My SIL did those nautical cakes for my nephews 1st birthday in March!

• imageCaitlinH88:
    We went to Holiday Market for ours. I want to say the cake was around $30-$35 or so for a 12-15 person cake (with a custom 2-character design based on the party invitation we gave them to fit our theme). They give a free smash cake for first birthdays as well. It was a lot cheaper than I was expecting, honestly. With how much else I have to do the day of the party, I think I'd rather just pay the $35 and be done with it. 

Thanks for the heads up! Their cakes are delicious too!

• imageharti09:
    I have nothing to add to this conversation aside from the fact that I want cake pictures of Connor to be posted when it happens. He is insanely cute and I feel like him covered in cake would be wonderful. 

Haha no problem. I'm always worried you think I'm a creep-o because I'm sorta obsessed with your LOs too Wink

• imageHolly_1007:

I always make the boys cakes (especially with Colbys food intollerances) Want to make yourself feel better? Here's a pic of Keagan's first birthday cake.  It was supposed to be a train, but I waited too long to frost it (read: the morning of his party ah hem) so it didn't have time to set right and it was falling apart, it was essentially a "train wreck"

Too cute on the nautical theme! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

• imageorigamipoppy:

I'm making his smash cake and cupcakes for everyone else. I used to bake professionally so I have all the gear and it's my forte. I'm making homemade funfetti:

Hahaha! That is our "theme" too!! :) Here are some other websites about rainbow cupcakes:

https://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/05/colorburst-cupcakes/

https://blog.hwtm.com/2013/01/rainbow-bird-party-1st-birthday/

• My mom is going to make it. She made DDs and used to make all of ours when we were little. I love baking but decorating cakes is not my thing. It would end up featured on pinterestfail.com
  • StasiStasi member

I'm probably going to make a giant cupcake for Kate to smash on my own.

Honestly, I'll probably Pinterest 100 cake ideas for the rest of the guest and then spend waaayyyy too much money having a "boutique" bakery make it...even if it tastes like crap

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• MrsSparkleBottom....  Love those cupcakes! So adorable..

We have gotten a little crazy with the cakes in the past.. 

This was Azlyn's 1st birthday cake... 

Her 3rd birthday party cake... 

For Brynn's 1st birthday cake, there is an intern that works at DH's company that does cakes on the side for a very reasonable price. We will probably have  her do it. We are doing a heart theme, so I don't suspect the cake will be too complicated. Maybe something like this, but with more color...

• I'm making little animal cakes using this cake pan:

https://www1.macys.com/shop/product/nordicware-hungry-animals-cake-pan?ID=567673&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Electrics_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Electrics_PLA+-+Electrics+-+Nordicware+-+2-_-29289143516_-_-_mkwid_3uVIUUmk|d{device}_29289143516%7C-%7C3uVIUUmk

I have zero talent at this but I was delusional with DD and thought I would make all of their birthday cakes.  After that attempt, I vowed to never do it again.  However, now I feel bad doing it for her 1st birthday and not DS's, so I'm giving it one last shot.  I ordered DD's 2nd birthday cake and, after this party, I hope I never have to bake again.  This was Maya's first birthday cake:

• hmp1hmp1 member

For James' first I ordered a 6" (?) cake for his smash cake and a bunch mini cupcakes for the guests from the grocery store. Just a plain cake and I bought a fondant cake topper from Etsy. I made a mini cake bunting for his smash cake and little flag cupcake toppers.

For Leo's first, I plan to make a very simple smash cake. I am going to do a red velvet cake and bake it in a large soup type can so it will be about 3 or 4". I am going to make white frosting (for our photo shoot I will use yellow frosting), some bunting, and I have a red hot wheels race car for the cake topper (race car theme). Nothing fancy. Guests will have store bought cupcakes and I will make some flag toppers.

Like this but also a hot wheel.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member

Here is James smashing cake. The cake was supposed to be yellow cake with chocolate frosting but it was chocolate cake. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• We're doing a "Somewhere over the rainbow" party and I'm planning to make a rainbow cake like this one, but without the fancy icing. I"m thinking white with maybe a ring of confetti around the edge at top and bottom. https://catchmyparty.com/photos/799665

(Sorry--I've never figured out how to easily post pictures or make things linky with my Mac. Why does TB have to hate Apple so much??) 

photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagetab&bob2008:
    imageJAM828:

Your new siggy! I die. 

We're only having a cake for DS. I bought a big cupcake pan from Joanns, so he'll have a massive cupcake to destroy :) Really similar to this one:

Mustache Bash 1st Birthday Party Ideas

Desserts for everyone else at the party will be cake pops, cupcakes, and cookies.

Awesome idea!

Have you practiced yet? I have one of those from Williams-Sonoma, it's SUPER hard. 

• imageVineyardMel:

We're doing a "Somewhere over the rainbow" party and I'm planning to make a rainbow cake like this one, but without the fancy icing. I"m thinking white with maybe a ring of confetti around the edge at top and bottom. https://catchmyparty.com/photos/799665

(Sorry--I've never figured out how to easily post pictures or make things linky with my Mac. Why does TB have to hate Apple so much??) 

That is exactly what I want! But without the fancy roses in the frosting. I'm just afraid to frost it myself.

ETA: I am making these myself though!

• imageVineyardMel:

We're doing a "Somewhere over the rainbow" party and I'm planning to make a rainbow cake like this one, but without the fancy icing. I"m thinking white with maybe a ring of confetti around the edge at top and bottom. https://catchmyparty.com/photos/799665

Download the Firefox browser and use that instead of Safari. You can post pictures then. 

• imagetonir319:
    imageVineyardMel:

That is exactly what I want! But without the fancy roses in the frosting. I'm just afraid to frost it myself.

ETA: I am making these myself though!

Those are super cute! There are so many fun ideas for using the color spectrum! 
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My local grocery store does free cakes for baby's first birthday (https://www.thriftyfoods.com/EN/main/entertain/birthdays.html). Nothing too exciting, but that is likely what I will "feed the masses" with. 

I will likely make a small "smash cake" for DD as well. 

I will save the effort / expense of fancy cakes for when she is old enough to care. 

• Because of Gabe's reactions to some foods, I'm going to be making a cupcake for him. And I'll probably just use the same batter for a bigger cake for the rest of us. No dairy or nuts. I'll do low amounts of sugar.

It'll be a red, white, blue / fireworks themed party. I'm thinking I'll get colored sprinkles and pop rocks to go on top of the cake.

Gabriel 09-11-2012 No dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts
    DSC_0803
    DH deployed since July 22
  • imageorigamipoppy:

I have this pinned.

I plan on making a rainbow smash cake and I'm not sure about the guests yet.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • imageJAM828:
    imageicedcoffeeluv:

I really want a cake stand like that! Anyone know where to get it?

I have no idea :( I've looked at a couple of places, but settled on a different stand. Lol 

You can probably make it from a bowl and plate (from the dollar store) glued together and painted the color of your choice. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"