Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Scared of Breastfeeding.....

So I have one inverted nipple, and one regular nipple. Well my regular nipple has always been sensitive but is EXTREMELY sensitive now that I am pregnant. It just hurts when it's hard.  Well that's one big concern but my other is that during sexual interactions...my boobs being played with has always been a big turn on for me.  I am extremely nervous and scared about trying to breast feed. I really don't want to put my baby on formula and already planned on trying to pump.  I didn't know if others have had this problem or not...not many people I have talked to have been able to relate or give advice on the matter. I am nervous about how sensitive it is and whether I will feel "wrong" due to my sexual preferences with my boobs....Any words of wisdom or anyone that has experienced anything similar to this? 

Re: Scared of Breastfeeding.....

• Options

I think most of us get turned on by sexual situations involving our nipples.  Feeding your child is none of that.

Give it a try, you can always switch to pumping or formula if it doesn't work out for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    No advice but you should definitely post your question on the Breastfeeding board, you will likely get more answers there. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am like you with the whole nipple stimulation thing. Not even an issue with BF. My DS is 3 months. DH actually asked me the other night during sexy time if I still liked it, and I do. When I'm nursing, it's just that and all I get out of it is knowing that I am nourishing my son and its natural. When it's DH's time, it's just like its always been. 
    photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagerandimarie86:
    When I'm nursing, it's just that and all I get out of it is knowing that I am nourishing my son and its natural. When it's DH's time, it's just like its always been. 

This! 

Also, if you're worried about whether it will hurt or not... IT WILL HURT.  Probably like hell.  I wish someone would have prepared me for that.  It sucks.  But it slowly gets better.  Get all the support you can... experienced family/friends, online, local support groups.  Reach out if you have problems. If you want to do it, it definitely requires commitment.  It's absolutely worth it, though!

• Options
    No sense in being scared before you even start...just get informed. Take a class at your hospital and find out what kind of support you have I'm your area so that if you do end up struggling,you will know where to get help. It is going to hurt In the beginning, it just is, and there's nothing you can do about it. As long as you work closely with your baby to develop a good latch, the pain will get much better within a few weeks and subside completely by a month or MAYBE two months. Breastfeeding is not "wrong"... It is the most natural and healthy way to feed your baby and will give him or her the very best from the start. Believe me, it's completely different than any sort of sexual stimulation that you may get from your man.it's great to learn everything you,can about breastfeeding early on, but don't go Into it with a negative attitude anticipating failure or that it will be especially difficult for,you. That's just going to make it harder on yourself. Stay positive and start with a short term goal. For example, even if it hurts a lot in the beginning (which is totally normal), tell yourself "I'm going to try it for a month and then reevaluate." Your nipples WILL toughen up and by a month you might really want to continue! If not, you,can always stop at that point, but at least you know you,really tried... And breastfeeding for any length of time is better than not doing it at all. You'll be okay!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    imagemrshall10210:

imagerandimarie86:
    When I'm nursing, it's just that and all I get out of it is knowing that I am nourishing my son and its natural. When it's DH's time, it's just like its always been. 

This! 

Also, if you're worried about whether it will hurt or not... IT WILL HURT.  Probably like hell.  I wish someone would have prepared me for that.  It sucks.  But it slowly gets better.  Get all the support you can... experienced family/friends, online, local support groups.  Reach out if you have problems. If you want to do it, it definitely requires commitment.  It's absolutely worth it, though!

• Options
    imagemrshall10210:

imagerandimarie86:

This! 

PBI, BF did not hurt me in any way from the very beginning. It is not guaranteed to be initially painful for everyone. So OP don't go into it thinking if will definitely be painful in the beginning.
  • Options
    imageSmartie26:
    imagemrshall10210:

imagerandimarie86:

This! 

PBI, BF did not hurt me in any way from the very beginning. It is not guaranteed to be initially painful for everyone. So OP don't go into it thinking if will definitely be painful in the beginning.

Yeah, I would amend that to say that it MIGHT hurt.  One of my nipples hurt a ton for the first 3 weeks and the other side didn't hurt at all, ever.  So kind of everything is normal! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

i also have sensitive nipples; maybe more than some women. i was seriously nervous too.. thinking omg i'm going to be sore, bleeding ect. for 1.5 months.

after 2 weeks i was perfectly fine. minimal soreness, no bleeding. breastfeeding is a breeze now. you learn to adjust 

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had an inverted nipple before I started nursing DD. I was able to successfully nurse her for a long time AND the nipple never actually went back to being inverted.

As far as nipples being sexual- remember that they're multi-purpose- just like so many other parts of your body. You use your vagina for peeing, birthing a child and for sex. You use your hands to lovingly caress your partner but also to wipe your bottom after pooping. Once you breastfeed and start to have sex again you'll realize that while they are the same body part, they have more than one purpose.

As far as the pain- I did experience pain (although it's not as bad this time) but if you use lanolin before and after every single time you nurse and ensure a proper latch you'll be in good shape. Make sure to dry your nipples after feedings and invest in a pair of Soothies! (https://www.lansinoh.com/products/soothies-by-lansinoh-gel-pads) They're amazing.

Don't be afraid. I've found nursing to be an amazing experience. Nursing has been by far the best part of being a mom, for me at least. The bonding is crazy and, while I've never formula-fed, it seems easier (mad props to the FF moms!). 

Don't worry about it! 

image DD and I. DD: 6/22/2008. DS: 6/22/2013
  • Options
    imageKittenGator:

I had an inverted nipple before I started nursing DD. I was able to successfully nurse her for a long time AND the nipple never actually went back to being inverted.

As far as nipples being sexual- remember that they're multi-purpose- just like so many other parts of your body. You use your vagina for peeing, birthing a child and for sex. You use your hands to lovingly caress your partner but also to wipe your bottom after pooping. Once you breastfeed and start to have sex again you'll realize that while they are the same body part, they have more than one purpose.

As far as the pain- I did experience pain (although it's not as bad this time) but if you use lanolin before and after every single time you nurse and ensure a proper latch you'll be in good shape. Make sure to dry your nipples after feedings and invest in a pair of Soothies! (https://www.lansinoh.com/products/soothies-by-lansinoh-gel-pads) They're amazing.

Don't be afraid. I've found nursing to be an amazing experience. Nursing has been by far the best part of being a mom, for me at least. The bonding is crazy and, while I've never formula-fed, it seems easier (mad props to the FF moms!). 

Don't worry about it! 

Um, not to be snkary, but you don't pee out of your vagina.  You pee out of your urethra.  The vagina is a completely seperate hole.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagestilts1:
    imageKittenGator:

Don't worry about it! 

Um, not to be snkary, but you don't pee out of your vagina.  You pee out of your urethra.  The vagina is a completely seperate hole.

Yeah- that's a bit unnecessary. I'm aware of where women pee from- my apologies for naming the general area. You picked out that one part of a supportive post and the message was totally lost on you. Thanks for the anatomy lesson and for slamming my efforts of support.

image DD and I. DD: 6/22/2008. DS: 6/22/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"