3rd Trimester

epidural blood patch Q's

Just curious if anyone here had side effects from the epidural and needed a blood patch to fix it? I had my LO on Saturday and have since had major headaches and pressure in my head. I have talked to two anesthesiologist and two of them said it may not work, but we could try. My OB said there is no other way to fix my problem other then to have a blood patch done. I am currently on medication and it helps just a little bit. I am miserable- and really want to just enjoy my baby, but I am scared of getting a blood patch done. Just wondering if anyone here had to get one done, and what was your experience like? What should I expect? thanks-

Re: epidural blood patch Q's

• I had a spinal tap a few years ago that didn't close right and I had the same problem! I couldn't sit or stand without excruciating pain :( I also ended up being really dehydrated. They did not do a blood patch-instead they gave me IV caffeine!! It worked wonderfully and I felt better almost immediately! I don't know if that's an option with the epi's or not... maybe worth asking about? Best of luck to you!!
  • imageshawnnbecky:
    I had a spinal tap a few years ago that didn't close right and I had the same problem! I couldn't sit or stand without excruciating pain : I also ended up being really dehydrated. They did not do a blood patchinstead they gave me IV caffeine!! It worked wonderfully and I felt better almost immediately! I don't know if that's an option with the epi's or not... maybe worth asking about? Best of luck to you!!

Yeah in the hospital i had that. It did work great!! I'm home now and the pain is back!!! Only relief i get is laying down. I'm on 800 mg of ib's and caffeine pills...and it just curbs the pain for a while..doesn't fully take then pain away. I'm miserable!!!

• Loading the player...
  • My co-worker's gf just had a this problem.

They had to go back to the hospital and she basically had to get the epidural needle redone and put some of her blood (taken from her arm) into it so it could clot and repair the leak. She felt a million times better afterwards. My coworker (the guy) fainted from seeing the needle go in!

• My cousin had one a few months ago after she had her DD, it wasn't successful. She also had the caffeine treatment, which also didn't work. It ended up taking a little over 2 weeks for her headaches to stop on their own...she basically stayed flat on her back for two weeks after her DD was born. So sorry you're going through this!

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I had one after having dd2. I had a spinal block due to having a rcs. I had a horrible headache after. The docs told me to try and drink a "ton" of.caffine and if that didnt work they would do a blood patch. I drank a 12pk of.pop obviously not healthy but it worked. They also wouldn't let me leave the hospital with that kind of pain. Can you have a coffee or pop while taking the caffine pills?
  • LEMSALEMSA member
    IV caffiene or a blood patch is that common treatment for those types of headaches. They are both safe and easy and nothing to worry about. You will get relief so fast, I swear!

You need to get better so you can enjoy your LO! Good Luck!
  • Sorry that you are going though this. I had headaches so bad that I could not sit up or move without it hurting. My dh heard me in the shower crying becauseit hurt so bad. Thankfully dd had a checkup that day and my nurse noticed that there was something worng. I got a blood patch that day and by the next day the headache was totally gone. I did also drink caffeine and I think that helped also. I am so glad I had an appointment that day because I would have never realized that this was not normal
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker .facebook_-966822808 IMG00064-20101108-0836 20120901_120106 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurker.... Get the blood patch done. Not to scare you but after my friend had her baby she had the horrible headache. She being stubborn thought it would go away with drinking caffeine and went home. Two days later she was readmitted because she was leaking spinal fluid, there was very little holding her brain in place. She was paralyzed on one side for two weeks after the blood patch was done. This is rare but why chance it.
  • I had to get a blood patch the day after I was discharged due to a spinal headache. Caffeine did nothing for it in my case. I went to same day surgery, an anesthesiologist came and took blood from my arm (which was the most painful part), and put it in my back. Fixed me up almost immediately. Get it done-you'll be much happier not in pain from that, at least.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurking...I had it done after my DDs birth. It was painless and immediate relief. I may have told the anesthesiologist I would leave my dh for him because I loved him. Lol. Do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The blood patch produced immediate relief! I was so happy I think I cried. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebrandilc84:
    imageshawnnbecky:
    I had a spinal tap a few years ago that didn't close right and I had the same problem! I couldn't sit or stand without excruciating pain : I also ended up being really dehydrated. They did not do a blood patchinstead they gave me IV caffeine!! It worked wonderfully and I felt better almost immediately! I don't know if that's an option with the epi's or not... maybe worth asking about? Best of luck to you!!
    Yeah in the hospital i had that. It did work great!! I'm home now and the pain is back!!! Only relief i get is laying down. I'm on 800 mg of ib's and caffeine pills...and it just curbs the pain for a while..doesn't fully take then pain away. I'm miserable!!!

:( I'm sorry it didn't fix it. I know you CAN get it done again... not sure if it's better than the blood patch or not.... best of luck!!

• I had an accidental spinal tap as well with my 1st and did have the blood patch done...immediate relief...do it!  It's nothing to be nervous or worried about. Works 80% first try. However, 2 days after I got home, I took a shower, had a bad bloody nose and started swelling at the extremities (my blood patch failed). I went in to get base part of epi done for 2nd blood patch and it worked great. Was not the first few days I was hoping for with LO but there is relief. GL!
    M/C #1 on 8/20/08 and #2 on 1/10/09. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"