Baby Names

Spelling of "K/Catie" with the name Catherine

Newbie poster here! I really needed the wisdom of the mommies on the boards I so frequently lurk, though. :)

DH and I have agreed on Catherine Olivia for our little girl, due in 6 weeks. However, we are planning on calling her by the nickname Katie (and already do). We DO love the name Catherine and want her to have that name rather than just the shortened nickname because we want her to have the plethora of other nicknames for the future, or just have the option of being Catherine if she likes. The ONE big thing we have decided on is the spelling of Catherine as I am spelling it here.

However, even though I originally said I liked Katie with K, I got to thinking people may see it this way and assume her full name is spelled Katherine, so I suggested the spelling Catie instead, which I think is cute and gives a touch of uniqueness of to a classic. DH thinks it looks like it should be pronounced "Cat.tee" and isn't a fan. After polling friends and family, we seem to have people split down the middle.

I realize the "Catie" spelling may open her up to being nicknamed "Cat" eventually, which neither of us minds (I actually rather like it). I also realize a famous example of a Kate/Katie who is actually a Catherine is Duchess Kate, so it's not as if "Catherine with a C, Katie with a K" is unheard of. I guess I am just looking for some neutral, unbiased opinions. Also, if you saw the name "Catie" would you pronounce it like "Katie," or would you pronounce it "Cat.tee" as DH thinks is likely?

Thanks!

image"">imageimageimage"">image"

Re: Spelling of "K/Catie" with the name Catherine

• Katie. Don't make her spell her name every time she says it.
  • I'd pronounce it Katie.  My niece is a Catherine who goes by Cate with a C.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd pronounce it Katie. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • +ASH++ASH+ member
    I love Cate/Catherine! I think Catie is fine. I would pronounce it like Katie. And as someone who has a uniquely spelled name, she won't have to spell it all the time - only when it's important. For instance: drivers license? Yes. Calling in a take-out order? No. So it really wouldn't be a big deal.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Catie and I love it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely would pronounce it Katie. 

• I'm a Caty and while I like the "spin" on the name the name (it was most popular the year I was born, so I knew A LOT of Katie's), it is sort of a PITA to spell it every time. I'm used to it be now and just automatically say "Caty, C, A, T, Y" like a reflex.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Also, fwiw, on official documents, I use Catherine.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would absolutely pronounce it the same with K or C. Personally I would use the same letter as the full name but totally don't side eye if not.. Catherine Olivia is a beautiful name
  • CoIvieCoIvie member
    I could see people saying it both ways. When I first saw it I wanted to say Cat just because I personally don't know any Catie's with a C.

As far as her spelling it out for people, I wouldn't worry too much. I clarify mine all the time. When I say my name is Courtney I automatically say "Courtney with a C". So all she would have to do is say "it's Catie with a C"..no biggie!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"