October 2013 Moms

batmandi, buying an ipad for your unborn child?

2»

Re: batmandi, buying an ipad for your unborn child?

• ZulixxZulixx member
    imageCousinVicki:

imageZulixx:
    I gave my little brother in law an old iPhone at 4 years old or so with the intent that it would be an occasional treat and educational. Yeah right. He throws tantrums if he can't have it. He has no social skills and he figured out how to change the settings and download games that aren't quite educational. One of which is the iPhone equivalent of Halo or Black Op's

The closest thing my kid will have to a tablet is a Leapster or something similar that is solely educational. I would maybe consider a Kindle Fire as they have controls that only allow the child to spend X amount of time a day on the device.

I've seen so many kids that just have melt downs if they cant play on their phones.

And I'm from the generation that grew up with computers. I'm only 23 and I'm pretty modern in most aspects of my life, but I just don't see a good reason for kids to have electronics. Even the research that shows all the advances for kids with Autism. My little brother has autism and the phone is more of a hindrance then a help. He doesn't play the educational games. He figured out how to download the other ones. Despite blocking the ability to download in the settings and having a password, he figured out the password and how to disable the setting. His mom has changed the password numerous times. He always figures it out. He has no social skills compared to other autistic kids his age and at the same point on the spectrum.

firstly, the issue with your 'brother in law' ?  is that his parents arent monitoring him if he is downloading crap on his own (i doubt a 4 year old can break a password if they set it up!!)    so i blame the parents, NOT him.

secondly, did your brother have early intervention, or is he in any special programs now ?  "no social skills'  autism or not should be addressed 

He did have early intervention and is in programs year round. He can figure out the password because he is extremely good at mimicking. He may not know the word or number combo but if he sees someone enter it he can guess it pretty damn quick. And thats only been in the last year and a half. He will be 7 in July. And yes. He is my brother in law. My MIL. Had him when my husband was 19.
  • So this may be a dumb question but if you buy this kid an iPad when he is ten months are you going to do the same for all your kids? What about birthday gifts? How do you top an iPad if you get them one before they are one?

I guess my belief of gifts is you give them what they need but also what they are able and responsible enough to take care of. A 10 month old does not have the ability to care for an iPad, just like buying a puppy for my three year old would be a bad idea because she doesn't have the ability to take care of it the way it needs to be.

I know this thread his probably dead but it makes me sad to think anyone thinks a ten month old needs a tablet so they can learn about technology.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Loading the player...
  • imageZulixx:
    imageCousinVicki:

imageZulixx:
    I gave my little brother in law an old iPhone at 4 years old or so with the intent that it would be an occasional treat and educational. Yeah right. He throws tantrums if he can't have it. He has no social skills and he figured out how to change the settings and download games that aren't quite educational. One of which is the iPhone equivalent of Halo or Black Op's

The closest thing my kid will have to a tablet is a Leapster or something similar that is solely educational. I would maybe consider a Kindle Fire as they have controls that only allow the child to spend X amount of time a day on the device.

I've seen so many kids that just have melt downs if they cant play on their phones.

And I'm from the generation that grew up with computers. I'm only 23 and I'm pretty modern in most aspects of my life, but I just don't see a good reason for kids to have electronics. Even the research that shows all the advances for kids with Autism. My little brother has autism and the phone is more of a hindrance then a help. He doesn't play the educational games. He figured out how to download the other ones. Despite blocking the ability to download in the settings and having a password, he figured out the password and how to disable the setting. His mom has changed the password numerous times. He always figures it out. He has no social skills compared to other autistic kids his age and at the same point on the spectrum.

firstly, the issue with your 'brother in law' ?  is that his parents arent monitoring him if he is downloading crap on his own (i doubt a 4 year old can break a password if they set it up!!)    so i blame the parents, NOT him.

secondly, did your brother have early intervention, or is he in any special programs now ?  "no social skills'  autism or not should be addressed 

He did have early intervention and is in programs year round. He can figure out the password because he is extremely good at mimicking. He may not know the word or number combo but if he sees someone enter it he can guess it pretty damn quick. And thats only been in the last year and a half. He will be 7 in July. And yes. He is my brother in law. My MIL. Had him when my husband was 19.

Four year olds are pretty bright. Mine knows the computer passwords (one for the laptop,one for the desktop) just by watching us. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGwyneddlesliegrace:
    imageZulixx:
    imageCousinVicki:

imageZulixx:

Four year olds are pretty bright. Mine knows the computer passwords (one for the laptop,one for the desktop) just by watching us. 

you people don't have complex enough passwords!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"