Multiples
Options

Vitamin D3 My doctor Called me today said it was low

So my doctor called today to tell me that my levels of Vitamin D3 were low and to take a supplement of 5,000 IU with my prenatals and the extra folic acid i am taking.  I panic and ran to pharmacy to get it.  Now i am worried that the deficiency could have caused some harm to my babies... I am 7 weeks and 3 days bicornuate uterus 2 babies in 2 placentas.  Could a deficiency of Vitamin D3 harm my babies so early???? Anyone have heard of this before?

Re: Vitamin D3 My doctor Called me today said it was low

• Options
    I had a dificiency as well.  OB didn't catch it until week 10.  He didn't sound overly concerned and just started me on supplement.  I'm sure you are fine, but double check with your OB.

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• Options

i currently have it with this pregnancy. my levels were 24 on my first bloodwork 2 weeks ago and the nurse told me to take 2000 iu's/ day. I had a follow up bloodwork last Friday and she called me to let me know it's still at 24, lol. She said keep taking the supplement and my OB will let me know if she wants me to increase it when I see her on Thursday.

This ( having low D levels) is a new experience to me so I can't give any more info about what it's for. I'm trying to stay away from "Dr Google" and trust that if my OB thought it was serious enough, she would have called me in.

I know it's hard when you have a high risk pregnancy to be given any news that something is a little "off" with your labs, but try not to worry and take care of yourself.

HUGS

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies i guess thats right i dont accomplish anything by stressing lol.  I agree Dr.Google is a nightmare lol I try to stay away from it... They told me to also try and take some sun that gives you natural vitamin D so some beach and sun it is for me :)
  • Options
    I was low too but I'm fairly certain they found it around 24 weeks or so. My peri didn't seem very concerned, just to take the supplement and that was it. Everything turned out fine. HTH, good luck :)
    Fraternal twin boys born at 33 weeks 4 days Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageBANBIE18:
    Thank you ladies i guess thats right i dont accomplish anything by stressing lol.  I agree Dr.Google is a nightmare lol I try to stay away from it... They told me to also try and take some sun that gives you natural vitamin D so some beach and sun it is for me :)

sounds like an Rx for relaxation! Just make sure you stay very hydrated and don't forget sunscreen Cool

FWIW, I did read a non-scary article on CNN about Vitamin D testing in pregnancy. It seems like it's quite a hot button topic with some older drs, but now it is suspected that there seems be a link to extremely low D levels and "some" cases of preterm labor, among other things. It's a somewhat recent suggestion to start recommending supplementation. It also mentioned that simply drinking milk alone is not enough to reach the levels that are suggested, if low levels are detected.

We've moved since my twin pregnancy and the OB I'm using now is fairly young and specializes in higher risk, so maybe that's why she is watching this. I guess I'll find out more in a few days when I go for my apt.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"