December 2011 Moms

Update on speech appt for DS

So they just left a little while ago, they did a series of "tests" which were activities with DS he did well but he didn't score high enough for language and receptive language so he qualifies to get help from them. I'm happy that he will be getting help but on the other hand I feel like I'm failing as a mom that he is not speaking as much as he should. I know I shouldn't feel that way and called DH crying after the appt but it's hard to hear that he is "behind" for his age. Not a good start to the week.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Update on speech appt for DS

• Aww, I'm sure it's upsetting as a mom but you can't blame yourself.  You are a great mommy and you are giving him the tools he needs!

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• ccip82ccip82 member
    ::Big hugs:: I echo what pps said. You are so not a failure!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Loading the player...
  • You are NOT a failure as a mom!  You are awesome and are doing the best that you can!  And you're an amazing mom for reaching out to get tested just in case and getting help for B! 

Big hugs for you!  Don't get yourself down!  You're doing an awesome job! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• RicolaRicola member

I'm sorry, I know it is hard to hear things like that. Will you be doing weekly speech therapy or what does the course of action look like? 

Hugs to you!  

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• imageRicola:

I'm sorry, I know it is hard to hear things like that. Will you be doing weekly speech therapy or what does the course of action look like? 

Hugs to you!  

yea it sounds like it will be weekly. I guess I should be happy I had him evaluated but right now I just feel defeated and blah :( we meet with them again Thursday to finish paperwork then set up appointments. I hope they help! 

• imageEAMartin1004:
    I am sorry that you are feeling like a failure.  But you are not!!!  You had him evaluated and you are getting him the help he needs.  Those are things you wouldn't do if you were failing your son.  With a little help, he'll be right where he needs to be in no time.  You are a good mom!

Yes this! Far better to get him help sooner than later.

As a teacher, I see MANY parents who refuse to have their kids tested in high school because they've been in denial their whole lives. Their kids, in the meantime, fall further and further behind and at that point, it's the parent who failed them. You are doing the right thing and I'm sure that it will all work out!

• A failure of a mom wouldn't have any idea that he's behind and they sure as heck wouldn't do anything about it! The fact that you are making sure he has the tools to succeed means that you are an awesome-great mom!

For reals, if he never has any challenges he won't have anything to talk about when he gives his nobel prize acceptance speech!

\image  image

• You are not a failure at all! You are taking the right steps for your son. I'm sure he will be talking in no time :-)

BTW, I remember your first post but I don't remember how many words they wanted to see by 18 months. How many was it?  We have our 18 month wellness check in a few days and I'm worried about our DS and his talking.

• imagebelle785:

You are not a failure at all! You are taking the right steps for your son. I'm sure he will be talking in no time :-)

BTW, I remember your first post but I don't remember how many words they wanted to see by 18 months. How many was it?  We have our 18 month wellness check in a few days and I'm worried about our DS and his talking.

Hopefully he'll be talking quickly I'm tempted to get his hearing checked too just in case since he's had a few ear infections recently. He hasn't turned 18 months yet but I think they want to see at least 6-8 words by 18 months and only he's only saying about 5 or 6. His 18 month appt isn't till July 15th and Ped. didn't say I should do the therapy I just went about it on my own. 

• imageJmcmahon21:

Hopefully he'll be talking quickly I'm tempted to get his hearing checked too just in case since he's had a few ear infections recently. He hasn't turned 18 months yet but I think they want to see at least 6-8 words by 18 months and only he's only saying about 5 or 6. His 18 month appt isn't till July 15th and Ped. didn't say I should do the therapy I just went about it on my own

This is what makes you a GREAT Mom!! Sorry you are having to deal with this, just remember this is a 100% the right thing for your DS and he will be better for it!  Hugs to you and I will say a prayer that therapy works quickly and effectively!

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you ladies you are all very sweet. I love this board and how caring mom's are! I appreciate all the kind words, I will give updates once he starts :)

• You are absolutely not a failure! We have to have the hearing test & speech eval on Tuesday because DS still isn't talking either. At least you can now work towards getting him more verbal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"