Birthday Parties

No cake?

All the birthday parties I have gone to have a cake. I really want to make cupcakes though, but think cake plus cupcakes is overkill (the party will be on the small side)

Anyone here not doing or didn't make a cake? Would it be weird? Or I was going to make LO a mini cake then make cupcakes for the guest. Good or bad idea?

Re: No cake?

• imageBluenoser4ever:
    We have done cupcakes for DSS2's birthdays in the past. Go for it! I actually think that cupcakes are more popular right now. I know a lot of bakeries will make cupcakes and put the icing over them as if they're decorating a regular cake.

I guess the cupcake craze hasn't hit my parts. The more I think about it the more I like it.

• imageBluenoser4ever:
    We have done cupcakes for DSS2's birthdays in the past. Go for it! I actually think that cupcakes are more popular right now. I know a lot of bakeries will make cupcakes and put the icing over them as if they're decorating a regular cake.

I guess the cupcake craze hasn't hit my parts. The more I think about it the more I like it.

• Loading the player...
  • Epic bump burp, excuse me. I'll delete those when It allows me Embarrassed
  • You can find some really nice, inexpensive cupcake stands and decorate around the cupcakes too.  My cake decorator friend warned me that decorating cupcakes can be a LOT more work than a cake - so keep it simple.  For the stand, simply putting ribbon around the edge of the tiers goes a long way.  Personally, I'm overwhelmed by cupcake decorating ideas!  I still haven't settled on what to do for DD's first bday party.
  • For my DS`s second birthday party, we had a lot of kids there so I did cupcakes but let the kids decorate them, it was a huge hit. We bought little candies, and different color sprinkles.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Cupcakes are still cake.  I think you're fine.  I've even been to weddings where there were cupcakes instead of wedding cake!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cupcakes are cake. For DS's bday, I have always done cupcakes instead of a big cake because it gave me more leeway to decorate them in a cute way w/o having true cake decorating skills.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cake is traditional, but I don't think you should be beholden to tradition if you don't want to be.  From my perspective cupcakes are the new trendy thing to do for everything (it seems like a new cupcake only bakery is opening every week!)  That all being said, I agree with everyone else, cupcakes are cake, so it's all the same.  I did cupcakes for DD's first birthday instead of a cake and a smash cake.  She got a cupcake just like everyone else.  I did a bear theme and found a cute way to lay the cupcakes out in a pattern to make a bear face.  It was really cute and I didn't have to do any fancy icing - most of them were brown, two blue for the eyes and two pink for the ears.  I drew the mouth on across a few of the bottom cupcakes.  If you're creative enough you could probably do it with any theme, kind of like cross stitch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have always done cupcakes for our older children. I will be doing the same for DD's 1st birthday (of course, in addition to her smash cake). Cupcakes, IMO, are much easier and more fun for the kids.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• The title of this post scared me. Cupcakes would be fine.
  • Cupcakes are cakes in my opinion.  One or the other.  I wouldn't do both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"