Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Constant Nursing

My DD, 2w3d, has been nursing constantly the last few days. 30-45 minute feedings, with maybe 30 fussy minutes in between, it's worse at night. Growth spurt? Comfort nursing? I need sleep!! And to get things done. I just tried some gas drops, thinking maybe her tummy is bothering her, we'll see how that does. 

Up until this, she was a pretty consistent 30 minute nursing with 2-4 hours in between.  

Re: Constant Nursing

• Yep, there is a 2-3 week growth spurt. It's tough but just keep feeding!
  • Try eating oatmeal it'll help you produce thicker milk and that should help with less feeding I eat it in the morning so by night time baby has thick milk in a bottle before she sleeps
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • be888be888 member

imageMayPhilli:
    Try eating oatmeal it'll help you produce thicker milk and that should help with less feeding I eat it in the morning so by night time baby has thick milk in a bottle before she sleeps Good luck!

I've never heard of this nonsense.

OP I agree with PP about the growth spurt. It will pass, just continue offering the breast. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Oatmeal is one of those foods that can help you try to produce more milk if you are having supply issues. Never heard of it making milk thicker at all. Ditto on growth spurt! Keep on nursing momma!
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    Yep, there is a 2-3 week growth spurt. It's tough but just keep feeding!

Agree. The oatmeal can help you produce more, but I haven't heard of it improving the viscosity of your milk. I don't know if I buy that claim.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/oatmeal/  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageMayPhilli:
    Try eating oatmeal it'll help you produce thicker milk and that should help with less feeding I eat it in the morning so by night time baby has thick milk in a bottle before she sleeps Good luck!

Oatmeal might help increase production in some women but it doesn't produce thicker milk. BM is thicker as the day progresses and is fattier at night than it is in the morning naturally. 

• Normal. My babies have generally nursed every 1-2 hours (that's between the start of feedings) as newborns.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Normal NB behavorior. We didn't start getting sleep until about 4 weeks and even then it was 2 to 3 hrs max. Just get some books and rent some movies and camp out on the couch. LO is 9 weeks a I'm just now starting to get laundry and simple cleaning done.

Are you doing thing to help encourage longer sleep? Swaddle, noise, etc?

• I don't mean to worry you for no reason, because I know this can be normal newborn behavior, but with both of my babies a sudden turn to constant nursing with fussiness in between meant a low milk supply.  Despite all the books telling you how unlikely it is to happen, it still CAN happen, and it is at least worth a call to your pedi.  They may recommend a weigh-in to be sure that's not the case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Just wanted to update and say that she's doing much better...I guess it was just a growth spurt. I've just been trying to nurse more often, it's increased my milk supply and her fussiness has decreased a lot. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"