Preemies
Options

micropreemie - nanny to daycare

V was a 25 weeker - spent 124 days in the NICU but came home without oxygen.  She is 20 months old now and really has had no major illnesses ( 1 cold and 1 ear infection)  We have maintained strict RSV isolation the last 2 winters and were very cautious last summer.  

I went back to work last May and we have had a Nanny ever since.  Our Nanny is going back to teaching in the Fall so  now I am on the hunt for new care.  I would really prefer a Nanny but I am realizing that V needs more social interaction with her peers. 

Have any of you sent your kids to daycare around age 2?  I am obviously very concerned about illnesses.  I know she will get sick, just how sick?  Does the benefit of peer modeling and socialization outweigh the potential risks?  

I will be consulting with our pedi before making a decision.  Just looking for advice from others who have already crossed this bridge.   

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

Re: micropreemie - nanny to daycare

• Options
    I did not have a micro preemie but I sent my son to daycare at 10.5 months with our Pedi's blessing. He did get sick ear infections and was a but snotty at first but he's done well. This is just my advice and you can take it or leave it but you may want to start lo before the fall so you have more time there before winter starts. There may be some summer colds but maybe that will help strengthen lo's immune system before winter.

Alternatively have you looking into nanny sharing or a small home care where there would be fewer children?

Fwiw ds loves his daycare. He gets really excited when we walk in and he sees his friends. I was really apprehensive but now I feel so much better!!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    KatFCoKatFCo member

We sent DD to daycare at 2, and she was a 24 weeker. I'll be honest, it was rough at first. We sent her in June and from September to December, she got sick every 2 weeks. The illnesses weren't too bad; she'd get a fever, feel bad for a day and then get better within 24-36 hours. Of course, her daycare had the 24-hour fever free rule, so she'd always miss at least 2 days of school.

Something similar happened when she started kindergarten this year, although not as frequently. I think it's just her immune system, but she does recover from things quickly.

Edited because it posted before I was done.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS is my only child but my friend kept her full term baby out of d/c until he was 3... when he started he got sick really often too. I KNOW it is worse for us and much scarier but I do believe this is something most kids go through to some extent... just something to keep in mind.  I'm not sure how many of DS's colds were because he was a preemie compared to being around new germs and people. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

My guy wasn't a micro, didn't have breathing support and he was sick all.the.time. 

However, he has TERRIBLE ears and 80% of that illness was ear infections.  However, he has had: hand foot and mouth twice, roseola, pink eye (3-4 times), rsv, pneumonia, norovirus, a bunch of colds (that always turn into an ei). 

He has come through every illness fine and pedi said that he would be okay.  He has been. I think you should def talk this through with your doctor.  My hunch is that s/he will say that your LO would be able to fight stuff now.  But, only they would really be able to tell you. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• Options

Maybe this is totally naive but Im hoping that being a little older and possibly even just starting right away in the 2yo room that there is going to be less mouthing of toys and general germ spreading.  Is that true, or is the frequency and variety of illness generally the same regardless of age? 

I still need to speak with my pedi but my gut says he will approve.  Im really just struggling with whether this is worth it for social skills development.  We can afford to continue to have a Nanny but we cannot afford to provide a nanny with a car and/or pay for additional classes to provide that socialization while with the Nanny.  There are unfortunately not alot of in home daycares in our area :(   

• Options
    imagethishappyhouse:

Maybe this is totally naive but Im hoping that being a little older and possibly even just starting right away in the 2yo room that there is going to be less mouthing of toys and general germ spreading.  Is that true, or is the frequency and variety of illness generally the same regardless of age? 

I still need to speak with my pedi but my gut says he will approve.  Im really just struggling with whether this is worth it for social skills development.  We can afford to continue to have a Nanny but we cannot afford to provide a nanny with a car and/or pay for additional classes to provide that socialization while with the Nanny.  There are unfortunately not alot of in home daycares in our area :(   

Not naive at all.  Much less germ spreading in the two year old room!  Chan started at 9/10m actual.  She got sick all.the.time!!  It was terrible and she only went PT too.  This year she's only been sick twice. 

I bet your pedi will approve especially if she doesn't have lingering pulm issues. C loves 'school' and her friends so very much. I bet V will too. GL! 

• Options
    imagejacque_z:
    imagethishappyhouse:

Not naive at all.  Much less germ spreading in the two year old room!  Chan started at 9/10m actual.  She got sick all.the.time!!  It was terrible and she only went PT too.  This year she's only been sick twice. 

I bet your pedi will approve especially if she doesn't have lingering pulm issues. C loves 'school' and her friends so very much. I bet V will too. GL! 

I was hoping you would chime in too!  So glad your pregnancy is going well!  you are giving me lots of hope :)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"