High-Risk Pregnancy

A little pro-tip for ladies doing injections

I've been on 5-shot-a-day insulin in the past.  I'm also a recent nursing school graduate.  I used this tip on many patients and they all LOVED me. 

Now, this will only work if you have stretch marks.  So any ladies without them... sorry!  Us ladies with them finally get a benefit from them.  

My stretch marks are wide and kind of resemble tire treads!  lol

So... here you go.  Pinch the belly (this is for insulin and Lovenox people) and inject directly into the stretch mark.  There are no nerve endings there.  You won't feel a single thing.  Fortunately, for me... I have plenty (thanks genetics!) and I can rotate my injections and still be fine.   

Also, don't rub the sites after the injections.  (Especially Lovenox)  I notice some people mentioning bruising and knots.  This will exacerbate that.  Oh, and always press plunger slowly.  If not, you're shocking the tissue around it. Then it bruises or swells to heal itself. 

Let me know if it helps you.  The bigger the stretch mark, the better the results because the skin is completely pulled, in my case, so you can shoot it right in! Tiny stretch marks probably won't be that helpful.

Anyway... there you go.  Hope it helps!   

Re: A little pro-tip for ladies doing injections

• Thank you! My first night giving Insulin I didnt get any in, but didnt know how much made it in and how much didnt, so I didnt want to redose and then overdose. I somehow didnt get the trigger button pushed in when I pressed down. Second night I got it in and the trigger button down but it was hard. Its just such an awkward angle. Any tips?

• Thanks for the tip will try it
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the tip, I am definitely going to try that tonight since I'm doing the dreaded left side. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagelucyspeople:

Thank you! My first night giving Insulin I didn't get any in, but didn't know how much made it in and how much didn't, so I didn't want to redose and then overdose. I somehow didn't get the trigger button pushed in when I pressed down. Second night I got it in and the trigger button down but it was hard. Its just such an awkward angle. Any tips?

I'm guessing you're using an insulin pen.  Which one?  I did syringes during the day because I had regular insulin for those, and the Humulin 70/30 pen at night.   All pens are a little basically the same.  

On the one I used, you turned the end to the number you needed and then you pressed it down with your thumb.  You tend not to notice the amount of pressure needed to press it if you use your thumb.  Using the same pen with your thumb or index finger seems so different.

On the pen I had, once it's all in, the plunger will return to it's normal position. It's goes back down like it was before you twisted it and it came out a little.  I guess it's a little hard to explain without showing you.  

When you twist it, the part you press should come out a little.  It goes back down as it's going in.  Press slowly.  It's not nearly as fast as a syringe, which you can shoot in fast or slow.  This has to go slow.  

As for positioning, it's totally fine to use one hand to insert it and keep it strait, and one hand to use the thumb and press down.  It's probably easier that way while you're getting use to it so you don't bend the needle or anything.  Believe it or not, that can happen.  I know this because I had my boyfriend inject me once to show him how it works and his hands were shaking so much, the needle bent! lol  

Also, if you leave it out for a few minutes to get a little  warmer, it goes in a little easier.  It's a little thicker from being in the fridge.   

Please message me if this sounds like a jumbly mess.  I know what I'm trying to say, it's just hard to explain without a demo in front of me.  lol  

• Post back here and let me know if the insertion tip helped at all.  With 5 shots a day, it saved me!  

:-D  

• Well, it didn't work for me last night, but I'm not going to give up on it. 

When I poked into the stretch mark blood came out instantly--which never happens. I kinda figured that would happen because the stretch marks are still new and purplish, but  thought I'd try anyway. I think that's what the problem was. 

I'm going to try to remember this tip for the next pregnancy when my stretch marks are old and white.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hmm.. I have never seen that on any of the people I've injected or on myself.  Are they little stretchies or BIG ones?  Mine you could probably drive a car on!  lol 
  • Wow, thank you so much! I tried your tips last night and it went much smoother. I think going slower really helped me out. I also got the needle in with one hand, while holding the pen with the other. Once it was in, I held the pen with both hands - one to keep it stable and the other to push in the plunger. Maybe as I get more accustomed to it, I'll be able to do it one handed. But I got all the Insulin in his way AND I didnt bleed at all. So must be doing something right! LOL

Thank you again so so much! I appreciate it! 

• imagelucyspeople:

Wow, thank you so much! I tried your tips last night and it went much smoother. I think going slower really helped me out. I also got the needle in with one hand, while holding the pen with the other. Once it was in, I held the pen with both hands - one to keep it stable and the other to push in the plunger. Maybe as I get more accustomed to it, I'll be able to do it one handed. But I got all the Insulin in his way AND I didnt bleed at all. So must be doing something right! LOL

Thank you again so so much! I appreciate it! 

Happy to help!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"