Secondary IF

DH brought up adoption

So we had this conversation a few months ago, and he had told me that he didn't think he ever wanted to adopt.  But just the other night after watching a movie - he brings up the idea.  I mean I am all for it.  But just really surprised me.  

We have a lot of decisions to make and lots of research to do.  I'm not done with IF treatments yet.  But while I wait for AF to show up, I can do some research on international adoption.  He thinks he wants to adopt from Africa.  I've always been all for adoption, but would prefer to adopt a younger child or set of siblings.

Anyone else had this conversation? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: DH brought up adoption

• We've talked about it and although DH and I are both open to it, the thought of starting a whole new process is pretty daunting.  I really want to carry another child so we plan to exhaust all our options for a child of our own before we decide to seriously consider adoption.
    DD conceived naturally in 2009.  TTC #2 since August 2010.  Praying for guidance as we decide what's next.

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

• DH and I have had this conversation many times. While we are both on board, I think he is a little ahead of me. I have some reservations... mainly the emotional turmoil that many go through. My sister and her husband were in the process of adopting an infant and just as quickly as they received him, they lost him to another family (who had previously adopted the baby's sibling). Also, I'm worried about the affects of adopting and already having a biological child with my husband - not for me, but from that child's point of view as he/she grows up knowing that. I would hope that our parenting would prevent that from ever becoming an issue. 

Like pp, I'm not ready to give up on carrying my own child. I hope that we can go through all the options to make that happen one last time prior to going the adoption route. I'm starting to feel that maybe I'll come to terms with OAD before that...  

DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think adoption is a wonderful thing, but I can't imagine a scenario in which we could afford it. It's just so very expensive. We've talked about it at length and would be supportive otherwise. I had severe ppd and complications during my pregnancy, now 2IF. Adoption almost seems like the perfect solution for us, other than the money.

I just know we couldn't do foster care adoption and it's all we could afford.  Again I think it's wonderful and God bless the people who do it, but I work very closely with the system and I know I'm not emotionally capable of going through that process. I think we will just choose to be OAD if treatments don't work for us. But never say never I guess ;)

PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • We've talked about it as well.  In fact, before we even started our family we'd talked about the possibility of adopting.  My younger brother was adopted from Korea and DH's mother was adopted, so that has been a part of our lives forever.  But it's hard when you aren't ready to give up on having biological children.  

Like I said, we are open to adoption and will probably pursue it in one way or another if TTC #2 becomes too hard (emotionally, physically, or financially), but we'd have to mourn the loss of having another biological child first, and that is so hard.

TTC #2 since 1/2012

• kofmkgkofmkg member
    I was surprised how open DH was to adoption.  We are moving to a new home this summer/fall and once we are in place, we are starting the application process.  Excited about it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"