May 2013 Moms
Options

I need to get this out

I am EBF my baby. It is so much harder than I thought it would be. My nipples are cracked from his frenzied cluster feeding. He likes to rip away without dislatching and he has my nipples completely torn up. So now it hurts so much every time he eats. I am starting to look at him like a little piranha that is going to attack me. I get stomach aches from anxiety thinking about the next time he needs to eat. I cry out when he latches and it scares him and that makes me feel absolutely terrible. I don't want to give up BF, but waiting around for this to easier is so hard. My sister keeps insisting that eventually it won't hurt at all anymore, but it is so hard to believe.

No real point to this post I guess. I just needed to let that out. I can hear my LO stirring so I need to brace myself for the morning attack....I mean feeding.
BabyFruit Ticker>
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I need to get this out

• Options

imagemommacakes4u:
    Get the cream, pump for a few days and use a nipple shield. Also maybe look into seeing a LC. Good luck!

I agree with all of these....and you're sister is right.  After about six weeks or so, you won't feel a thing.  It's really tough in the beginning :-(. GL! 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    imagemommacakes4u:
    Get the cream, pump for a few days and use a nipple shield. Also maybe look into seeing a LC. Good luck!

If you're really determined to continue to BF then exaxtly This! However, the best consultant advice I've ever heard is never put BF over Mothering. Your health and sanity are very important when raising a baby...they feel your anxiety. You need to be able to enjoy your child.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also recommend getting some cream. Talk to your doc about the Dr. Browns nipple cream. I still use it once per day as I also have a little piranha. Big HUGS to you Momma!

BFP #2: 08/23/12; EDD: 05/04/13 ~Please stick little one!!! DS born 05/09/13 at 40w5d

BFP #1: 05/05/12; EDD: 01/01/13; m/c: 05/21/12 ~Forever in our hearts~ 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    I feel for you. When we first started I would sob the entire time he fed bc it hurt so bad. He would feed so often and so long it was awful. I felt the same way you did about the pihrana. I didn't feel like I was bonding with my baby, I wasn't going to starve my baby but I sure as heck didn't look forward to feeding him. I saw a LC and I use a nipple shield and pump like heck and everything is much better now. I'm even dealing with mastitis right now and it's not as bad as it was. Things will get better, hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice and encouraging words. This board is awesome. Just knowing that I am not the only one helps a little. I plan on calling to set up an appt with a LC later. I already use lanolin, but maybe I need something different. I also read an article about numbing my nipples with ice....haven't been brave enough for that one yet!
    BabyFruit Ticker>
  • Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    I just wanted to say you aren't alone. I cry a lot, and dread the moment of latching. Pumping helps me, so I can give my nips a break. LO won't latch with a shield, so pumping is my only relief.

I'm trying my best to hold on for the better days ahead, and not let this pain ruin our bonding time, but it's definitely a challenge.
  • Options
    My LO is famous for doing this especially when she gets tired. I do the cross over hold so my one hand is on the back of her head and I won't let her yard away from me with my nipple in her mouth. It helps a lot. It's a little more labor intensive since both hands are busy while i am feeding her but its the one way to make sure my nipple doesn't feel like its getting ripped off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    April!April! member
    That sounds awful! I agree you should try to see an LC. That much pain is probably a latch problem. My baby has been having latch problems and the LC recommended the biological nurturing position. It has really helped! https://breastfeeding.about.com/od/allaboutthebaby/a/What-Is-Biological-Nurturing.htm
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • Options
    Every latch made my toes curl and the string if curses was pretty crazy. It got better quite suddenly for me. FX it happens for you soon. 
    I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Options
    I am sorry you are having problems. I have a cracked nipple as well. Have you tried switching feeding positions? If looking down, my nipple crack is on the right side so it's painful for LO to be in the cross cradle hold. Putting him in the football hold makes it more bearable! Good luck!

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    imagerea1687:
    I am sorry you are having problems. I have a cracked nipple as well. Have you tried switching feeding positions? If looking down, my nipple crack is on the right side so it's painful for LO to be in the cross cradle hold. Putting him in the football hold makes it more bearable! Good luck!

My crack is on the right side as well. I will try the football hold! I have only been doing the cross cradle.
    BabyFruit Ticker>
  • Options
    imagemommacakes4u:

These are all great ideas, especially the nipple shield! A LC could help make sure you get the right fit and check for latch issues.

• Options
    I can totally relate to the anxiety and everything. With my first, the LC said I had third degree erosion. I pumped for a couple days and she helped me improve the latch, and things cleared up. With this baby, my nipples began bleeding again. I used a nipple shield for a few days and it really helped. Given a break, your nipples will heal quickly, especially using lanolin. An LC will be able to give you some good suggestions. Good luck!

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear this too.  I'd also get him checked for tongue tie, that can cause a lot of pain too.
  • Options
    wjvwjv member

It really is so hard! and you are most definitely not alone!  I used neosporin and it helped me a lot! Once my nipple healed it got a lot easier! I also had to use two different holds for each breast.  Cross cradle works better on my right and football on my left until the nipple healed. Try the neosporin though!

Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The first response took the words out of my mouth. From what I've read, if you dread each feeding, then things are not right. Def do all those things cream, shield, and see an LC, and by cream I was thinking the stuff that has a little steroid in it to reduce the swelling on your nipplesyou'll need to get a prescription from your doctor. Good luck!
  • Options
    use a nipple shield i've been using one for two weeks!
  • Options
    I second the PP's comment about a nipple shield. I used it for like every other feeding (or when the pain was unbearable) so that baby would still have to latch normally sometimes.  It really helped me. I'm 6 wks pp and slowly weaned myself off of it.  Now I don't need it anymore. GL!
  • Options
    You are not alone. The beginning experiences with breastfeeding can be so painful. Get connected with a lactation consultant...they can help double check that LO's latch is ok and not making the pain worse. Try pumping now and then to give you some relief. I have even heard of people icing the nips before breastfeeding to kind of numb the pain (though I can't say I have tried it myself and I don't know if it would piss off baby). Grab some Lanolin, tylenol and take it feeding by feeding. It's awesome to fight through and it can get better as things heal but also know that it's not the end all if you can't continue breastfeeding either. I had to stop breastfeeding with DD because I had production issues but I can say that I fought through the pain and it definitely didn't hurt once I got to the other side! You are a great mom either way and the best thing for your entire family is to make sure you are happy and healthy when caring for your child. 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• Options
    This was me for the first week. Dreading each feeding.  I got the Medela hydrogel pads from Target and wore them constantly. They were instant relief. I also didn't offer both breasts so I could earn some extra time to heal. After 4 days, I was healed and it honestly doesn't hurt anymore. 
  • Options

There is an amazing nipple cream that is not sold anywhere outside of Canada, but a lactation consultant gave me the recipe for it. It works practically instantaneously! All of the ingredients can be purchased over-the-counter at the pharmacy. This link mentions powder for one of the three ingredients, but I used a cream (equal parts of each cream).

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&Itemid=17

• Options

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_

content&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&Itemid=17

• Options

https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_

content&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-

apno&Itemid=17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"