August 2012 Moms

moms who stopped Prevacid

This is for the mamas with reflux babes. My ped has advised us to try stopping the Prevacid for my daughter since she loves solids and is upright and mobile now. I've heard at this age most babies are off their reflux meds so I gave it a shot. She said we don't have to wean, and to just stop it cold turkey. My husband's coworker was advised the same about her son and he did great. So far my daughter seems to be doing fine without it, but I did notice after lunch of strawberries, carrots, and yogurt, she burped and got a bit upset. She whined for a few seconds and then stopped. Now I have her down for a nap shortly after that, and she was fine for 5 mins just playing in her crib, and now she's screaming. I don't know if she's having heartburn, or if she is overtired, or working on dropping a nap, but I wonder if it's acid related. For my reflux mamas, was there an adjustment period after you stopped prevacid? Im sure she isn't used to feeling any sort of acid for months, so it may just take her some getting used to. Did you wean or stop cold turkey? Any advice is appreciated!!

Re: moms who stopped Prevacid

• We were on Prilosec and pretty much stopped cold turkey.  He still spits up a decent bit and every now and then he whines a little after burping. He doesn't cry while eating or anything, though.

Hard to say about the nap. Some people are having a wakeful period right now so it could be that or a myriad of other things. Give it a couple of days maybe and then if it continues, try the Prevacid again and see if it makes difference, I guess.

• ccamccam member
    DS was on reflux meds since about 2 months.  They never increased his meds because he didn't show any signs of getting worse, so I would say his case of reflux wasn't too severe.  We stopped his meds about 2 months ago.  His pedi recommended dropping one dose, which we did his morning dose first, and see how he did.  He did fine so after about a week we dropped his night time dose, too.  So he was weaned.  I didn't see any difference in him after stopping his meds.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you! Yes, she has stopped crying while eating, and doesn't spit up anymore, so I imagine she's ok without it. She's been hiccuping again though which doesn't seen to bother her like it did before, but the whines after burps is a little upsetting to me. It's only been 5 days so I am planning on giving her more time for her body to adjust. Im glad you had success stopping cold turkey. I'm hoping for the same here!
  • She is the second ped who told us to stop cold turkey, but I have been reading about babies who get weaned from it because of some sort of acid rebound that can happen. Wonder if we should have went that route. She fell asleep relatively quickly despite being upset so it may have been unrelated. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • I should say we may have weaned a little. It didn't seem to be bothering him which led to me often forgetting at least one dose per day. Then I went out of town for a week and DH didn't think to give it to him at all (no idea how it slipped his mind for that long) so I just figured why start again.
  • amaiteamaite member
    We weren't on prevacid, but rather prilosec. We just weaned off recently, and were told by the gi not to stop cold turkey. There was some irritability as we started weaning, but I wasn't sure if it was reflux or something else, so we continued to wean and just watch him closely, and i haven't noticed anything since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"