TTC after 35

Short Luteal Phase ?

Anyone dealing with a short luteal phase?  Mine has been 6-9 days since I started charting 8 mos ago.  I figured the first few would be off because I just stopped breastfeeding in October, but my most recent was 8 days, longest was 9.  

My OB doesn't seem to think it is a problem, but according to Dr. Google (yes, I realize I'm making myself crazy), such a short LP IS a problem.  I had a great experience w/ my OB for my DD, but I was already pregnant when I first went to her.  I asked about taking B6/ B12 or progesterone cream but she doesn't seem to think its necessary, she said to keep trying & come back in August.  She mentioned trying Clomid in August if I don't get pregnant before that.  But I thought Clomid was to help ovulation?  Sorry--I don't know much about it.  A few months ago I didn't ovulate but other than that, I've been O'ing around CD 18-20, but with a short LP.  And that month I did get a positive opk, but no temp rise.

I don't want to wait until August, so I'm planning to make an appt to go talk w/ my OB soon.  I feel like she'll think I'm a crazy person.  But I'm 36 & it's been over 6 mos that we've been trying, & I've conceived before.  There's nothing wrong w/ being proactive, right?  Another issue is that I'm a teacher on summer break.  If I start meds in August/September, it seems likely I'll have to go in for blood draws on certain days right?  Or is that not necessary--I always read about doctors monitoring patients on Clomid.  My OB is an hour from my school so I would have to take time off--not the best idea the first few weeks of school.  For the next two months my schedule is pretty open.  I know that is a silly reason, and sounds selfish.  I certainly would take time off if necessary, but if it can be avoided I'd like to try.  Plus, I want to find out if she would refer me to an RE or if she suggests staying with her office for awhile before going elsewhere (if necessary).  

So, back to original question.  Anyone have success at lengthening a luteal phase?  What did you do?  Also, what questions should I make sure to ask my OB when I see her (besides the ones mentioned above)?  

I just re-read this post--much longer than I intended it to be, thx for reading.  I just seem to come up with questions after I leave the doctor's office & I want to make sure to have them all written down before I go in.   If you're still reading, TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Short Luteal Phase ?

• I think you're right about being proactive, but instead of asking your OB for a plan, better to ask for a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist. OBs are pros at pregnant women and catching babies, whereas REs are there to get women pregnant. It's true that monitored cycles will involve blood draws and/or ultrasounds on specific days, so you might ask for a referral closer to work or home. My RE's office does early am procedures so people can come in before work; even if you start seeing one in August, there's no guarantee you'll be KU after one cycle, so finding one close to work is not a bad idea. Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely not silly to want to deal with health issues while you have tons of free time. Makes sense to me! I did some bloodwork I was diagnosed with a short luteal phase. My doc immediately put me on progesterone pills. He said if your luteal phase is not long enough you might have a problem with implantation or miscarriage. I started on oral pills four days after ovulation until I get my period. If didn't work orally so I now insert the pill vaginally. It works well. My issue was I was spotting from 8dpo on until full flow at like 12. Now I don't spot until 17 dpo. I haven't gotten pregnant though so it's not a slam dunk diagnosis. I also tried clomid and nothing happened. There's different theories but some docs think it helps with egg quality. I ovulate fine on my own. GL!
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • And to answer your question about monitoring. I think some docs do ultrasounds but mine an OBGYN not an RE just had me come in monthly right before the next cycle to do a vaginal exam to check for cysts since that can happen with clomid. Once he was satisfied I didn't have them he would write me a scrip for the next month.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • I don't have this issue, but I just wanted to wish you much success in resolving it.

Good Luck!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • ksgsmuksgsmu member
    I agree with pp....see an RE not an OBGYN...ESPECIALLY before doing Clomid!  You might ask some of the ladies over on the secondary infertility board about the luteal phase concerns... they are super informative!  Good luck!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• I think you are right on track with your thinking, but do it with RE not with OB. As for clomid nothing I read or learned, does anything with short LP, it helps with Oing. Ob seem to give out clomid like its candy, seems to he their only fertility drug....go to an RE and good luck!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• I think it's a quick fix with progesterone suppositories after o'ing. But, see an RE, and this is one of the things acupuncturists (that specialize in fertility) claim to treat. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"