May 2013 Moms

Tongue tied newborn

Hello ladies, my son will be three weeks old this thursday and he is VERY tongue tied. Because of this i am not bfing, but pumping. I also worry about speech problems and trouble eating when food is introduced. I have done much research and would like to get it clipped to avoid future problems and to hopefully breast feed. Does anyone have any experience with this and know if medicaid will cover it? And who exactly does the procedure. I've read that pediatrician sometimes do it, or you may be referred to ENT, or pediatric dentist.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tongue tied newborn

• A pediatric ENT did DS's. it didn't hurt him as far as I could tell and it was a huge blessing for my nipples. Our insurance covered it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pediatrician did our LO#1 at the 2 week check-up. He still didn't ever catch on to BFing. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I too, had an ENT clip our son's tongue tie the day after he was born. He didn't even flinch so I was thankful it wasn't painful. My sister had her son's TT clipped two weeks PP and she's taking him back to do his lip tie sometime this week (3 weeks) because the doc said it would be too much to do both together this far along. 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a Pedi and clip tongues quite a bit. It's an easy procedure and takes about 2 minutes.
  • Lurking from june...

My lo is tounge tied also and we have medicaid. Our pedi reffered her to a pediatric ENT and we have an appointment next week. It is covered because it's considered medically necessary.
  • krwactkrwact member
    Like others, my son's tongue tie was clipped by an ENT and covered by insurance. He was able to breast feed immediately afterward but it didn't seem to make an immediate improvement in his ability to transfer milk. My LC also recommended we look into getting his labial frenulum checked but two doctors have said they don't recommend the procedure this young. I was a bit frustrated bc my research showed that it's frequently done on newborns and could make a difference in breast feeding. 
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"