Health & Exercise
Options

horseback riding pregnant

First off, yes, I know that many doctors suggest not riding during pregnancy due to the risk of falls.

However, I also know that many women continue to ride through some or all of their pregnancy on a horse that they feel is safe if their skill level is high.  Have any of you continued to ride while pregnant?  If so, what limitations did you put on yourself (e.g. no jumping/flatwork only, or stopping once the bump was big, etc)?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

Re: horseback riding pregnant

• Options

At the support of my midwife, I have been continuing to ride my horse lightly.  I trust him and know him inside and out.  I feel completely comfortable doing all that I normally do (I did cut out jumping and focused on dressage and hacking) and actually, on the back of my horse is the only place I feel like ME again.  My body is still reacting the same way it always has and I'm trusting it to tell me when enough is enough.  However, trotting is not very comfortable anymore so lately I've only been hacking mostly.  

I won't get on a different horse though.  Only my own whom I trust.  However, some stuff has gotten really hard, like chucking hay and when I have to get off and try to mount the 17h giant from the ground.  Ugh.  Not such a good time.  

I think I will be calling it quits and just spending my time with him with a brush in my hand very shortly.  

My husband was okay with me riding after my midwife (who is a rider and has daughters who ride) told me it was fine for me to continue since I've been riding for 24 years.  He trusts me to make the right decisions as to when I'm uncomfortable with it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"