May 2013 Moms
Options

Too much milk...

So I have been having problems with latching. I was in bloody cracked nipple hell for awhile. The LC had me exclusively pumping and feeding baby my milk that way to allow my nipples to heal. I pump every 3 hours around the clock and was instructed to feed 2.5oz at that time. I am slowly introducing the breast back to baby at this time. Still working on our latch. I work with him throughout the day and sometimes pump after him. He takes forever to eat from me and is hard to keep awake but that is another story. I exclusively pump at night though bc it's faster and easier.

However, When i am pumping I am getting about about 4 to 5oz each time. I am feeding him the 2.5oz and putting the left overs in bags to keep in fridge or put in freezer.

I am pretty unsure what to do with all this milk.... Maybe a dumb question. I am scared to drop a feeding or two and use some of the excess milk bc I am afraid that my supply will then drop. But then I wouldn't mind getting a bit more sleep either!! Any suggestions?? Anyone else having oversupply and can tell me what they are doing??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Too much milk...

• Options
    That's not over supply.
  • Options
    Freeze it. Save it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could always save it for when you are away from baby or when you stop nursing you could then use the stored milk.

ETA: I wish I had that problem!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pnutgpnutg member
    imagecaymarks:
    You could always save it for when you are away from baby or when you stop nursing you could then use the stored milk.

Me too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagepnutg:
    imagecaymarks:

Me too.

Me three.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I could pump that much. I'm only able to get 2.5 oz max per pumping session.
  • Options

I was where you are. I had problems with nursing, lc had me pump and bottle to give my breasts a break and then slowly introduced breast back. I saved all the milk and fed the oldest to DD. You should just save it and you will see, you WILL eventually use it. I alternated between nursing and bottled bm. We are almost exclusively nursing. One small mistake I made was not pumping when I gave her a bottle of bm. I did that because I thought I was going to end up having a surplus of milk that I would have to throw out. I found out that it would affect my production and supply so I started pumping every time I gave her a bottle. LC said that I didnt need to pump after nursing only when I give a bottle only so that my body realizes that baby had a feeding. Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"