January 2013 Moms

Car seats

Have you stopped using your infant carrier yet ( if you used one to begin with)?  If so, have you found a convertible seat you like? Or if you're a STM can you recommend a convertible car seat? 

Re: Car seats

• We're still using our infant seat.  I don't have any particular convertible recommendations, but when shopping pay more attention to the height limits than weight.  IME (and from what I've read) babies tend to outgrow seats in height before weight.  Tall RFing limits were important to us with DS.  I don't know that it will as big an issue with DD... so far she's taking more after her short mama!  But IMO it's really important not to have to turn FFing before you're ready just because your LO has outgrown the RFing limits in height.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We are still using out infant carrier. Cole was only in the 12th percentile so he still fits fine. 

I highly recommend the Britax Marathon for a convertible carseat. That's what we use with DS1.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesbevmc09:
    We're still using our infant seat.  I don't have any particular convertible recommendations, but when shopping pay more attention to the height limits than weight.  IME (and from what I've read) babies tend to outgrow seats in height before weight.  Tall RFing limits were important to us with DS.  I don't know that it will as big an issue with DD... so far she's taking more after her short mama!  But IMO it's really important not to have to turn FFing before you're ready just because your LO has outgrown the RFing limits in height.
    VERY TRUE! I laugh every time I see the infant carriers that advertise they last until 35 lbs. First of all, you will not be carrying around a 35lb baby in any carseat, and second of all, they will reach the height limit way before they reach 35 lbs. 
  • ==N====N== member
    We haven't yet because I'm waiting for another bru trade in event. I think we'll go with britax. Really though I just look for whatever will keep dd rfing the longest.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DD2 is still in her Snugride but we'll transition to the Britax Roundabout which is what we use for DD1. Has great safety ratings and is relatively reasonable to lug on an airplane if you travel a lot though for that, I also recommend getting one of the wheely things to make getting around the airport about 1000 percent easier.
  • imageMason&Mama:
    imagesbevmc09:
    We're still using our infant seat.  I don't have any particular convertible recommendations, but when shopping pay more attention to the height limits than weight.  IME (and from what I've read) babies tend to outgrow seats in height before weight.  Tall RFing limits were important to us with DS.  I don't know that it will as big an issue with DD... so far she's taking more after her short mama!  But IMO it's really important not to have to turn FFing before you're ready just because your LO has outgrown the RFing limits in height.
    VERY TRUE! I laugh every time I see the infant carriers that advertise they last until 35 lbs. First of all, you will not be carrying around a 35lb baby in any carseat, and second of all, they will reach the height limit way before they reach 35 lbs. 
    I'm trying to explain this to my husband! Our DD is getting way too heavy for the infant carrier and she's long. But the weight limit is 30lbs on it so he thinks we should wait till she hits the max. He's also being a cheap since car seats are sooo expensive.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on convertible seats. Can't wait to see what other carseats people recommend.
  • I have an infant carrier than goes to 35 lbs and have no plans on going to a convertible until he either hits 35lbs or 32" as the seat allows.  He is already 19lbs so it is definitely heavy, but I can just leave the seat in the car and take him in and out the same as a convertible.  I have a graco nautilus but it's not RF so I think I might return it for one that is.  Or maybe I will just buy another one and save the nautilus for when DS is FF and we hopefully have baby #2.

I'm interested in what seats people are recommending too, and it would be super helpful if you said what kind of vehicle you have it in.  I have a smaller car so not sure what will fit.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a Graco Smart Seat and it's working great so far. All of our complaints have to do with getting used to a carseat in general, not this specific seat.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• we're still using the carrier, but we might switch soon...i don't know....she's in a convertible car seat when my sister watches her (she has to go drop off and pick up her kids and brings her to my parents)...i was with her on friday and she seemed comfy enough in there....she has a britax (leftover from her kids)....and we also registered for a britax marathon....it can't be that hard to install because she takes it out and puts it back in just for friday's when she has the girl....i hope its not that annoying because we only have one car seat for our 2 cars....dh can't really leave it in there all the time since he uses his car for work...the base is easy enough for him to take out....

probably once she can sit better we'll use the britax...that way when we go to the store and stuff we can put her in the cart and she'll just sit and we'll actually have room in the cart for stuff! 

• SWOG31SWOG31 member
    DD is still in the infant seat, but I went ahead and purchased our convertible seats when they were an extra 20% off on Amazon. We went with the Britax Boulevard and the Graco My Ride 65. 
    image ?/25 my chart image
  • We just moved to the convertable seats this weekend. DH has a Safety First Alpha Elite and I have an Evenflo Sympthony 65 LX. So far DS has riden in each of them one time and they work out well. I am looking forward to not having to carry DS out of daycare in his infant seat anymore. That thing was getting heavy! But I will miss when he falls asleep in it, bc it was so easy to just take into the house or into a store without having to wake him up to move. He is probably approaching the 20 lb mark by now, but we'll find out for sure next week at his next check-up.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  •  I have a Britax Boulevard and a Britax Marathon each in our Toyota Rav 4 and Honda Accord.  The Honda was purchased in anticipation of this baby, and I wouldn't buy the car until I measured and confirmed that these big seats would fit in the back.

They do - and work great!

• JJsMumJJsMum member
    We are still using the infant carrier, but DS#1 is in a convertible seat :)  I got the Britax Boulevard for him, and I think I'll probably get the same seat for DS#2 when it's time.  We also have the Britax Marathon in DH's car, but I don't like it as much and DS#1 doesn't seem as comfortable in it.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• imagesbevmc09:

THIS for sure! DD1 almost outgrew her britax boulevard before turning 2!  We moved her into a Britax Frontier soon after she turned 2. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you all so much for your input.  We have the gracco snug ride 35 infant carrier and there is no way DD is making it to 35lbs in that thing.  I feel like its already snug on her thighs and she's about 20lbs!  I am looking forward to not lugging that carrier around -I look so awkward when I walk with it because its so heavy!  Thanks again ladies! 
  • I used an infant car seat for a shot time. She absolutely hated it! It was such a nightmare going places, I never wanted to leave the house. I finally went and purchased the maxi cosi pria 70 convertible care seat...Best.Purchase.Ever. It was like night and day. It is so comfy and highly rated for safety. I believe Britax was #1 in US and Maxi Cosi was #1 in Europe. I personally liked how comfy and padded it is and it had the removable infant insert in it (tiny fit). She will be out of the tiny fit insert in about 3lbs or so. My husband loves it too. 
  • imageBrendamndz:
    Wanted to update:: The safety first alpha elite 65 fit in my mom's 2 door accord as well.

Thanks for this.  We have a similarly sized car. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS is still in the carrier but we might be switching soon. DD is in an Evenflo Momentum with the surelatch. I highly recommend it as the seat is awesome, huge, but awesome. ANd the sure latch makes install a piece of cake. I am thinking of just getting DD the graco Nautilus since it also converts to a booster and then switching DS to our Evenflo! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"