Food & Nutrition

XP: Protein Powder and BF

Is there a safe protein power while BF? I keep finding conflicting info online and was wondering if anyone had actually asked their doctor (though many of them have no clue about that kind of stuff).

I used to love adding some to my smoothies and oatmeal, plus I definitely need the extra protein. However, it doesn't sound like the two mix...not sure if theres a brand that might be safe?  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12

Re: XP: Protein Powder and BF

• I have never heard of protein powder being unsafe for mom, unless of course your LO has MSPI in which case you may be out of luck.

Where are you reading it's unsafe?

imageimage
  • imageBooger+Bear:

I have never heard of protein powder being unsafe for mom, unless of course your LO has MSPI in which case you may be out of luck.

Where are you reading it's unsafe?

After some more research I think it was more about the ones with added extras....supplements, sugar, etc.

As long as I find a good brand I should be ok,  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • lurker here... I actually asked my DD's pediatrician a similar question a few months ago - and Dr. said there was no issue with any protein powders and BFing.  DH and I really like Ideal Shape meal replacement shake powder (essentially a protein and vitamin powder - mix in water as is or add to smoothies).  DH likes the vanilla and I like the chocolate flavor. 
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• TJs makes an organic protein powder.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • mgm84mgm84 member
    They say you should eat healthy for BFing.  If you are supposed to limit the chemicals and additives and other unhealthy foods, protein powder might fall into this category (of course, there are a million types out there, and I am not sure what type you are using).  My husband just gave up whey protein and has been adding in seeds and veggies to his shakes to get more protein.  He has also added more quinoa, nuts, and other legumes for a healthier type of protein.

Lilypie - (eoyh)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"