One & Done: Only child

Mirena or Paragard IUD?

Anyone have experience with either one of these BC methods? I'm on the fence and would love to hear some personal stories. Sorry if this has been discussed a million times!

Re: Mirena or Paragard IUD?

• I have Mirena and I love it. Insertion was painless, I spotted for 2 months after insertion, and now my periods aren't bad at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Having my mirena removed later this month. It grew into the wall and Im having alot of issues with it. It has lengthened the time in between periods, but not affected the actual period. I have bad cramping. Ive had a tough run with it. 

• Loading the player...
  • I have Implanon implant.  I have had it since February and love it.  I haven't had a period since early March. Quick and painless insertion under the skin on my left arm.
    Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • I had Paragard before I got pregnant. The insertion was excruciating-- I'd happily have 10 more c-sections rather than go through that again. It was super effective as birth control, though because I bled for 6 solid months so it made having sex pretty inconvenient since I probably only had one day a month where it wasn't a problem. I tried to ride it out, hoping I'd self adjust but by the 7th month, I threw in the towel and went back on hormonal birth control. 

• I had Mirena. It aggravated the lining of my uterus, but I also get fibroids. I had it removed less than 6 months of having it.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

• I've had the Mirena since December and love it.  My periods get lighter and shorter every month, so I imagine eventually they'll just go away.  Also, I always got horrible, debilitating cramps before I got pregnant.  Since having J and having the mirena put in, no cramps.  Maybe a faint twinge, but nothing more.  It's been awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've had Mirena for over a year now. I have not had any issues. I've only had my period 2 times and it was just 1 day spotting.
  • blue33blue33 member

I have Paraguard. I can't do hormones, so I chose the none hormonal iud. I would say, the best thing about it is that it seemed to thin out my menstral flow. I use to have horrible cramps and heavy bleeding, but after my son and the paraguard, my cycles have been lighter. I do get the "hell headaches" right before and during my cycle, which suck, but I will take that over a baby anyday.

The insertion was not too bad, but it was not pleasant. I was crampy all day before and for several days afterwards. I also had occassional spotting for a week. I have not had problems with bleeding or the iud moving or anything, and I have had it for a little over 2 years.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a Paragard for 4 years - I had bad cramping with my period for the first year or two... but then it subsided.  I had it removed in order to try to get pregnant, but plan to get another one once we have a LO.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"