Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

airline ticket for my 3 yr old?

DS just turned 3. I know that airlines will say that you have to buy a ticket for any child over two, but is that regulated? I guess I am wondering how they would know, and if that is a requirement or a suggestion so that your child would officially have a seat.

I am traveling to Dallas, TX for a wekeend. I am in Columbus, OH so there is not even an option of driving. :- 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: airline ticket for my 3 yr old?

• Options
    They can ask for proof of age by asking to see his birth certificate.  I would just buy the ticket because you could get to the airport and not be able to board because you cannot prove he is under 2.  If they find out that he is not under  2 they could possibly revoke your tickets as well.  I haven't ever been asked for a birth certificate for my kids but they never flew as a lap child close to their 2nd birthday.  Plus, trying to pass off a 36 month old as a child under 24 months may be pretty difficult.  I know my 3 year old loves to tell people how old she is when asked and she has been asked by airline personnel before. 
  • Options
    Yeah, you need to buy a ticket.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yea you need a ticket and you're going to want him in his own seat
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    But a ticket. We always carry copies of our children's birth certificate with us when we fly. Also, my 3 year old would never be able to pass for my DD's age. Just something to think about. 
  • Options
    I've flown with DD(3.5) 8 times since she was 6 months, and every single time they have asked to see her birth certificate even when she was clearly too little to be even close to 2.  I think the last time I flew with her on my lap was when she was 1.5.  It was a short flight, but even then it was difficult having her on my lap.
  • Options

As pp said they can ask to see a birth certificate.  They have never asked for proof of age with DD.  The last time we flew with DD she was 20 months and is tall for her age.  I wouldn't take the chance, as pp said you might get to the airport and not be able to board.  

I know my mom got away with saying I was under two when I was actually three.  The flight attendant made a comment like, "You sure talk well for being so young."  But didn't pursue it beyond that, it was also 30 years ago so I'm sure things have changed! 

• Options
    I have been asked to prove DD's age even when she was clearly not 2 yet.  Buy the ticket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    anakahanakah member
    we've always been asked to provide a birth certificate for age verification purposes when we've flown.  I'd buy the ticket.  The last flight we took, my twins were a week shy of their 2nd birthday so we only got one seat for the two of them.  There's no way we would've survived the trip with two lap babies and they're on the small side. 
  • Options

Thanks everyone. I have never even entertained the thought of flying with him, so I wasn't sure.

I started Googling and it looks like SW offers discounts (though varied per flight and what not) for children. I will keep a lot out. Thanks again 

• Options
    steverstever member
    imageMrsWindyCity:
    Yeah, you need to buy a ticket.
    This.
  • Options

I flew with my tall 2.5 year old.  I didn't buy a ticket.  It was fine...no issues.  I just checked the stroller at the gate and boarded as normal.  I brought entertainment for the flight (iPad and headphones), books and snacks.  Easy breezy!  Sometimes I would stand and let LO sit in the seat. Another mother who had a 2 year old in his own seat screamed the whole time, peed through his clothes and ended up in a diaper only walking up and down the aisle. He didn't even use his seat !?!? 

imageimage
  • Options
    imageshaw:

I flew with my tall 2.5 year old.  I didn't buy a ticket.  It was fine...no issues.  I just checked the stroller at the gate and boarded as normal.  I brought entertainment for the flight (iPad and headphones), books and snacks.  Easy breezy!  Sometimes I would stand and let LO sit in the seat. Another mother who had a 2 year old in his own seat screamed the whole time, peed through his clothes and ended up in a diaper only walking up and down the aisle. He didn't even use his seat !?!? 

It is an FAA regulation, not just airline policy, to buy a ticket for children over 2 years old. The airline could have been fined for your violation had the FAA found out. I can't believe people consider, much less go through with, bringing their 2+ year old on a plane as a lap baby.

• Options
    erbearerbear member
    imageshaw:

That's illegal and dangerous. But hey, yay! 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"