July 2013 Moms

Lucas is here! PIP, and T&P please.

Our baby boy couldn't wait to meet us! Lucas Elliot was born on May 23. He was 5 lb 12 oz, and 18.75 inches long, so he's a big boy for a 34-weeker! He's doing extremely well as far as the things some preemies struggle with, but he has an abdominal wall defect that required surgery and will require another surgery at around 8 weeks once he's had a chance to grow a little bit, so we'll be spending most of the summer in the NICU with him. Full details below, if you're interested - but I imagine it will get long....so first, my favorite photos so far:  

IMG_3209IMG_3247

Normal.dotm 0 0 1 435 2482 Washington University 20 4 3048 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Luke?s early arrival was a big surprise for us in more ways than one. With six weeks to go until our due date, we went to the hospital for the final session of our childbirth class but ended up checking in to the childbirth center instead; I'd lost my plug the morning before and starting having cramping that night, and it had gotten worse all day on Thursday, so I thought it was a good idea to get checked out even though it didn't quite match other people's descriptions of contractions. Less than 3 hours later, Lucas was here! He was in great shape at birth, but he had another surprise for everyone ? he had gastroschisis, which means that part of his bowels are outside the abdomen; in Luke?s case, it was a significant portion of his bowels, and he went to surgery when he was only 2 hours old to put them back inside his tummy. To top off the craziest night of my life, my parents arrived while he was in surgery, and while the surgeon was explaining how the surgery went and that Luke's intestines are matted together more than most and will need more surgery, my dad passed out and had to be taken to the ER (he's fine now, and mostly just upset that he upset me more). 

We?re actually pretty lucky that Luke came when he did instead of waiting until he was bigger, because babies with gastroschisis are usually delivered via C-section to make sure nothing is damaged on the way out, but it had gone undetected at our A/S. During his first couple of days he needed a little extra monitoring and support while he recovered from his surgery and anesthesia, and it was pretty rough for us to see him in that state, but he?s a strong little guy and made progress quickly; it seemed like every time we returned to his room he had shed another tube or wire! It wasn?t long before he was back to breathing on his own, and he?s been doing great with everything else; he would probably have gone home in less than a week if not for the gastroschisis.

When he?s around 8 weeks old, Luke will have his second surgery. The goal is to reconnect everything so he can eat and digest normally; this is dependent on how much of the intestinal tissue survives, and how much they're able to untangle. It's looking good so far, but there's really no way to know what's going to happen until they go back in. Right now he?s getting most of his nutrition through a long-term IV in his foot, and the small portion of his intestines that is up and running (around 10% of what he should have) empties into an ostomy on his tummy (Daddy is pretty proud that his son can fart through his belly!). We were also able to start feeding him small amounts of breastmilk from a bottle on his 6th day, which was a big moment for all of us ? not being able to feed him when he was hungry was one of the hardest parts for me in those first few days, to the point that I was having intense guilt about eating myself when my baby couldn't eat, and we weren't sure if he would be able to take any food at all before the second surgery. 

So right now we're just waiting; we're at the point where no news is good news, and we're just watching him grow and holding him while he sleeps until we reach the 8 week mark. It was hard in the first few days to receive pity and condolences as often as we received congratulations, but we've tried very hard to emphasize our excitement and celebrate his arrival; we are elated to be parents, and can't quite believe we've made such a fantastic little person!

The NICU at our hospital is wonderful. Every nurse we?ve had has been absolutely amazing, right down to reading him a bedtime story for us when we had to leave early during Friday?s storms. It?s extremely hard to go home without him, but we can rest a lot easier knowing he?s in such good hands! They?re also very much encouraging us to be as involved as we want to be in his care, so when we?re at the hospital (which is most of the time lately!), we?re the ones changing his diapers, giving him baths, feeding him, taking his temperature, and handling some of the basic care for his incision and ostomy. Being able to take on more and more of these small parental duties has helped ease the stress of spending a long stint in the NICU, and I never thought I?d say this, but we can?t wait for the day we can change our first poopy diaper!

We would very much appreciate continued T&P throughout the summer, and if anyone has experience with long-term NICU stays, I'd appreciate you sharing your experience and any advice you may have for us.  

ETA: Sorry about the formatting! I don't know what happened. Trying to fix it!  

FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.

Re: Lucas is here! PIP, and T&P please.

• Awe! Hey there baby! Congratulations. I'm glad that your delivery experience ended well with this little cutie.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Congratulations! I LOVE your positive outlook. And Lucas is a handsome boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw! He is precious! Congrats mama!
    Me:33/DH: 34
    Married: July 28, 2012
    DD: July 29, 2013
    DS: July 1, 2015
    Current EDD: May 15, 2017
  • Wow. COngrats and best wishes. T&P as well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats!! He's so adorable! Im glad you and baby boy are okay!
  • No advice as far as long term stays in NICU, but I wanted to say Lucas is a gorgeous little boy and I am so happy for you and your loved ones that he is doing well! Thoughts and prayers that his second surgery goes well! Will be thinking of you, your family and Lucas! Keep us updated!
  • First off, mom he is so beautiful! Great job and wow at all that hair! Next.. I am so happy to hear that he is doing so extremely well with everything. He is such a strong little fighter. So glad to hear that you have such an amazing NICU team to help watch after Luke.
  • CJ086CJ086 member
    He is so beautiful! And what a trooper! Congratulations on such a strong and determined little man you have Smile

photo 0828131617b_zps9ddbb9a9.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Congratulations, Mama!!! Welcome to the world, Baby Lucas!

He's precious and so beautiful. All the best for his recovery and development. How incredible that the surgeons are able to do so much for him. FX that they can get him to full bowel function after the next surgery.

I'm amazed that it only took three hours for delivery! And your dad passing out... awww. Glad you are getting the help and support you need from family and the hospital staff. :) Hang in there! 

• What a cute little guy! I can't believe how much hair he has. I love it!

Lots of thoughts and prayers to your family as you go on this journey over the summer!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • What a sweet precious boy you have there! Congratulations Big Smile

It sounds like he couldn't be luckier to have great parents as you guys. Glad your NICU is great and respecting your desires to take care of him. I have had friends whose kids were in the NICU briefly and depending on the hospital sometimes they were made to feel like they were in the way. I do pray that Lucas continues his recovery. Hang in there momma!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• He is beautiful! We July 13 ladies have some adorable babies!

I'm glad to hear the first surgery went well. T&Ps for continued growth and strength for Lucas and a successful second surgery. 

• SMac85SMac85 member
    Congratulations!!!! He's such a cute little guy, and great size for being 6 weeks early.
    photo 3dcc1df8-8755-401b-b56e-15712e9fb0c0_zps92b14273.jpg
    Matteo 08/02/2011 Cruz 06/19/2013

BabyFruit Ticker

• Aww what a little sweetheart! Congratulations, Mama, and hope all goes well for the two of you!
  • He's so cute!!!!! Congrats. I'm glad he's here to get the medical attention that's needed.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Congratulations! He sounds like a fighter!

He's adorable, too!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • klyannklyann member
    Wow, what precious baby boy. Congratulations on your little man. Prayers that he continues to do well. Sounds like he is a strong one. Take care.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

• Wow! How unexpected! But what a cute little angel he is! I hope he gets healthy. I know it must be so difficult, but hang in there. Sending T&P's your way and to Lucas.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi baby Lucas! Stay strong! Keeping you all in my thoughts and sending special prayers for you! 
    Oct. 2012: Clomid + Ovidrel = Baby A born 07.17.13 at 38 wks! 
    TTC #2 since Jan. 2014
    BFP#1 02/26/14 CP 02/28/14
    BFP#2 03/23/14 Stick Baby Stick!
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • He is gorgeous!!!!!  I'll keep him in my prayers.  Congrats!!!!
  • Congrats! He is so handsome and looks so happy! Wishing all the best with the upcoming surgery. Keep us posted.

Bonus: 

• What a beautiful baby! Congrats, and T&P are with you all! 
    Anniversary

• Oh Lucas is so gorgeous...I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through but he sounds like a fighter and everything's going to be great!!! Congratulations on your adorable little one!

imageimageimage

• What a handsome boy! Congratulations and t and p for Lucas as he undergoes his surgeries.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• What a cutie!!  And what a trooper!!!  Sending you lots of thoughts and prayers... and hoping he will be home in no time! :)

*On 4.28.11 we said goodbye to our angel baby (D&E at 18.5 weeks)*
  • RDK24RDK24 member
    Congrats, he's adorable! T&P that the little fighter continues to make great progress.
  • Thanks, everyone! 
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • He's gorgeous!! I remember you loosing your plug but I didn't think it would mean baby the next day! I'm glad he came early if that helped him with the gastroschisis. That must have been scary for you. I'm glad he's doing so well.

Also, I had no idea you were in the area. If I'm reading it right you are anyway. STL? Me too! I'm thinking gtg later this summer or fall when our babes are bigger. Congrats!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Oh my goodness! Congrats on Lucas and T&P that he continues to do well and recover from his surgery. It sounds like you're doing great and have such a positive attitude. Hoping the next few weeks are uneventful and the 8 week surgery goes great as well!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • He's adorable, congratulations!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagemeimsx:

He's gorgeous!! I remember you loosing your plug but I didn't think it would mean baby the next day! I'm glad he came early if that helped him with the gastroschisis. That must have been scary for you. I'm glad he's doing so well.

Also, I had no idea you were in the area. If I'm reading it right you are anyway. STL? Me too! I'm thinking gtg later this summer or fall when our babes are bigger. Congrats!

Yep, we live in the city, and we're in the NICU at Mercy right now. A gtg would be great once we're able to travel! And yeah, I didn't think losing my plug would mean baby at 34 weeks either :) 

• Congratulations on your sweet baby boy!! T&Ps for an easy recovery and follow up surgery!
  • imagemimi4347:
    imagemeimsx:

He's gorgeous!! I remember you loosing your plug but I didn't think it would mean baby the next day! I'm glad he came early if that helped him with the gastroschisis. That must have been scary for you. I'm glad he's doing so well.

Yep, we live in the city, and we're in the NICU at Mercy right now. A gtg would be great once we're able to travel! And yeah, I didn't think losing my plug would mean baby at 34 weeks either :) 

Mercy is such a great nicu. He's in good hands. They're known for the special baby care. If I were having a preemie I would want him there too. Were you affected by the storm at all? That would be all you need! Storm damage on top of everything else. Oy. KDG is here too and one or two more. Maybe we can all do a big gtg. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Meimsx no more
  • Awe! He is so adorable! I will keep baby Lucas in my prayers!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • M0ONM0ON member
    Look at that smile! Congratulations :)
  • imagemeimsx:

Mercy is such a great nicu. He's in good hands. They're known for the special baby care. If I were having a preemie I would want him there too. Were you affected by the storm at all? That would be all you need! Storm damage on top of everything else. Oy. KDG is here too and one or two more. Maybe we can all do a big gtg. :)

We were lucky and didn't have any damage at our house, but we were up at the hospital when it hit and were banished to the parents' lounge until the warning was lifted so they could move the babies (we got a window room - perks of a long-term stay, I guess?). So the worst that happened was we lost some cuddle time, and our dogs were at home scared by themselves (poor dogs are being neglected right now).

• imagemimi4347:

imagemeimsx:

We were lucky and didn't have any damage at our house, but we were up at the hospital when it hit and were banished to the parents' lounge until the warning was lifted so they could move the babies (we got a window room - perks of a long-term stay, I guess?). So the worst that happened was we lost some cuddle time, and our dogs were at home scared by themselves (poor dogs are being neglected right now).

I'm so glad you were all ok!

Meimsx no more
  • bobceebobcee member
    Congrats! He's a doll. And lots of T&Ps headed your way.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Cuuute! And look at all that hair! :)

I'm sorry he came earlier than you hoped and about the surgeries, but you did a great job, Momma. Congratulations!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • A huge congrats. Lucas is a beautiful little boy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"