Stay at Home Moms

For your naming pleasure...because I am bored

We ran across a sweet little preschooler. His name is Bearen. They call him Bear. I wan't to make some bad joke about it being an empty and desolate name when I hear it (and no, I never would do that). Someone help him if he grows up small and whimpy looking going by Bear.
Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage

Re: For your naming pleasure...because I am bored

• LC122LC122 member
    I was in middle school with a kid named Bear. He wasn't particularly big or non wimpy but he was nice so people were fine with it.
    It wasn't actually his name. His last name was Bryant and his family had always called him Bear as in Bear Bryant. That was the first I had ever heard of Bear Bryant.
    Anyway, maybe the point I'm trying to make is that if the kid owns it and is comfortable in his own skin, it doesn't condemn you to middle school hell as it very well could.
  • I actually don't mind the nn Bear. I don't really care for the full name. I think they gave him that name just to use the nn. I wouldn't mind it as much except it is a real word (with different spelling) that doesn't have the best connotation for a name. He is a nice kid though.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLC122:
    I was in middle school with a kid named Bear. He wasn't particularly big or non wimpy but he was nice so people were fine with it. It wasn't actually his name. His last name was Bryant and his family had always called him Bear as in Bear Bryant. That was the first I had ever heard of Bear Bryant. Anyway, maybe the point I'm trying to make is that if the kid owns it and is comfortable in his own skin, it doesn't condemn you to middle school hell as it very well could.

Are you from Alabama? Amazingly I've never met a Bear, though I know a crapton of Bryants. 

• id012id012 member
    I think its sweet. I have a friend whos name is bear. Well thats his nickname. He moved back to the south now but he was always so sweet ans fun to be around.
    Sidenote: isnt it funny how you relate names to the people you already know with them.
  • imageCabbageCabbage:

imageNandaB:
    Yea, but you are all glossing over the fact that his name is actually Bearen, which is terrible.

This. They could have AT LEAST named him Baron so the meaning was slightly better. Baron is at a much lower level of horrible imho.  

Guys... DS's name is Baron. Have I ruined him for life? Occasionally I call him Bear, but not as a for real nickname and I don't want anyone else calling him that. My ticker says Baby Bear because I didn't want to use his real name.

GUYS! Is he going to be "that poor kid?" DH, myself, in laws, friends, we all love it! My parents hate it and I find older people hate it because it's a title. Ugh. Now I'm paranoid. Give it to me straight. Have I done a bad?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like the spelling but I've heard the name before. Usually it's Barron or Baron. Donald Trump has a kid named Barron.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't mind the name Baron. It is like the name Earl, a title. The O is different. It is a name which has been around a while. The E changes the pronounciation to makes it sound like the word barren, which means infertile or empty, unable to support vegitation. It all comes down to the creative spelling which changed the meaning. Therefore, you kiddo is just fine, with a perfectly acceptable name.  I don't mind the nn Bear at all though.
  • imageJoyceMike:
    I don't mind the name Baron. It is like the name Earl, a title. The O is different. It is a name which has been around a while.nbsp;Thenbsp;E changes the pronounciation to makes it sound like the word barren, which means infertile or empty, unable to support vegitation. It all comes down to the creative spelling which changed the meaning. Therefore, you kiddo is just fine, with a perfectly acceptable name. nbsp;I don't mind the nn Bear at all though.

Yeah the E is not so nice. We always joke that the next one will be Earl or Duke. Ha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"