September 2013 Moms

Teen Driving and Parenting

This has nothing to do with pregnancy but more or less about raising kids.  I've had it on my mind all day and I was wondering your thoughts.

5 local teens near me were killed in a car accident on Memorial Day.  Their car hit a tree and the car split in half, ejecting 4 teens and partially ejecting 1.  Two were sisters and the mom and dad discovered their daughters' death by using GPS tracing their phone to the Coroner's office.  Absolutely horrific.

News is now coming out that the driver did not have a valid driver's license and he had three (maybe more) infractions.  Information is still being gathered about the driver.

My DH and I have always said that our children will not get their licenses until 18 (mostly because we had to wait until then) and we don't see the need.  How do you feel about teens driving other teens? Even if you knew the friend's your child was traveling with, would check to see if their license was valid? If they have insurance?  

I teach high school seniors and coincidentally a few of my students were talking about how they do not drive with insurance and they know kids that drive without licenses.  I am also learning that many times the parents know this and let them drive anyway. This drives me crazy not only for my protection on the road but for others.  We also have a family member that allows her 19 year old daughter do the same thing.  I have vented my opinion but again I just don't get how a parent could allow it.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been bothering me all day. 

Re: Teen Driving and Parenting

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"