2nd Trimester

What is pelvic rest: specifically?

My OB told me I was on pelvic rest today after a U/s dx of low lying placenta (no bleeding or other issues). He said no sex, which is fine, but then I googled it and saw that typically pelvic rest is a whole list of NoNo's, which he did not mention. I have a 25lb 20-month-old, who I try not to pick up too much, but obviously this is hard. I'm going to call the OB monday for more clarification after what I've read, but what specific stuff is usually included in pelvic rest restrictions? TIA!   
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Coastal Living Mom Blog: http://thecoastallivingmom.wordpress.com/

Re: What is pelvic rest: specifically?

• Nothing in the vagina.  No orgasms.  No heavy lifting (usually 10lb limit).  Generally limited or no exercise.  Your doc should have given you more specific instructions :(. Good luck!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its whatever your doctor told you specifically it is...

but generally: Pelvic rest is a term that doctors use when a woman is not to be having sex. It is generally used when a woman is pregnant and the doctor does not feel that sex is safe for the baby.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • All depends on the risks your doctor feels are associated.  Since yours is low lying and not actually directly on the cervix, it may only mean no sex for you.  Mine is actually covering so my doctor said no heavy lifting, no strenuous exercise, and nothing in the vag.  I wasn't told anything about no orgasms, though I can see why that might be considered if it's a really bad case...I would probably go insane not being allowed to at least do that for myself once in awhile!
  • I was told no intercourse or penetration if any kind. And no aerobics.

I still pick up my 2 year old though. She's about 26 or 27 pounds.
  • Exactly what the other girls said, no sex, no strenuous lifting (like a toddler), no orgasm.  

My DH won't even let me take out the trash. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It means nothing in the vagina (no sex, douching, tampons), no orgasms, and take it easy. I wouldn't worry about not lifting your toddler, avoid other heavy lifting though.
    11/2010 delivered DD age 2 now, miscarriage 2/2012, current due date 10/30/13!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"