December 2013 Moms
Options

NT worries at 10 weeks

I went in for a follow-up ultrasound yesterday and the ultrasound tech seemed to be concerned about the NT measurement.  She didn't tell me what it was (which is very frustrating looking back on it) , but she did leave the room to consult with a doctor, and now I'm told they want me back next week for an appointment.  Will this be a formal NT test?  Now I'm so scared and upset I can't think about anything else!

Has anyone else gone through this?  Is a high NT measurement at 10+2 too early to be worried, or is this a real concern now?

I've been reading what I can about it, and some places say 10 weeks is too early to tell, other places say 10 weeks is in the NT test range.  I want to be realistic about the concerns but I hope this might resolve itself by the next scan!

Re: NT worries at 10 weeks

• Options

My office won't even do NT until sometime in the 11th week.  And 10w2d isn't really close to 11 weeks.  Were you there specifically for the NT scan, or for another checkup?  

Look, I'm a worrier, but honestly, I would not even worry about this until you are in the right window of time for the test.  I mean if it was accurate at 10 weeks, they wouldn't specify to do it at 11-13.6 weeks.   

2 other things, the nuchal fold is only on part of the equation to determine you risks. and also my u/s tech ALWAYS leaves to show the Dr her measurements or images before I can get up and get cleaned up.  Last Tues when I had my NT scan done the u/s tech was gone for over a half hour waiting on the Dr, I was freaking out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with Soozerella.  My geneticist has in his pamphlet that 11 wks is the earliest they do u/s for NT scan.  I was scheduled to have mine today and then they had to cancel it so rather than move it up in the week I decided it would be best to do it next week just so I can avoid not having answers.

Good luck at your next u/s! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an u/s done at 10.3 and was told that it was doable, but too early to use for integrated screening.  I did MaterniT21, so I decided not to reschedule the NT for later in the pregnancy.  I think 10 weeks is too early for anything definitive.  Fingers crossed that the follow up goes well!
    photo canthearyou_zpsae132d4c.jpg
  • Options

I had a quick US at 10+1 before we traveled- mainly b/c I'm high risk and have had 2 mc's.  I didn't see my doc, but another, younger guy who ended up telling me something similar.  

Apparently the NT measurement was higher plus something wrong with baby's bowels.  He said a lot can change in 2w but if at my NT scan these were both an issue I'd have a VERY high chance of a baby with a genetic disorder.  Well, freaking out, I call my best friend bawling, she's a midwife and after some research on her end- the bowel thing the doc mentioned was SUPPOSED to be in the position it was at during this stage of development.  The neck measurement could also change a lot in 2w.  Fast forward 2w to my actual NT scan at 12w+1, everything measured normal and perfect.   This time I saw my 65 yr old doc who mentioned that sometime young docs run their mouth.  

This is a long explanation, but please don't worry too much- I'm 36 so my age is high risk already, but 2 weeks can change a lot!  Also, FWIW, I even go to a Perinatal office/ vs my regular OB and feel they are very knowledgeable...and this still happened.  I'm still waiting for the blood test and Harmony test results-  but a good NT scan is worth a lot.  I'm sure your doc just ran his mouth too soon.  

BFP #1 on 2.13.11, MM/C 04.11.11 @ 12W, 1D
    BFP #2 due on 2.17.12 - Happy Birthday Brooks 2.11.12
    BFP #3 on 11.14.12, M/C 12.3.12 @ 7W, 1D
    BFP #4 due 12.11.13- Happy Birthday Taylor @ 34w, 2d
    - 30w+1- pPROM and hospital bed rest till DD comes

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    My Preemie ticker

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"