September 2012 Moms

Raw foods

What foods do you give LO raw? 

As the weather has gotten warmer we cook less, before I was giving DD what we were eating and planned to continue, but MIL thinks all her food needs to be cooked until she is 2. Obviously I'm not planning on giving her things she can't chew (carrot sticks), but MIL thinks I need to steam watermelon and blueberries. What say s12?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Raw foods

• I haven't heard this before. I've already given DD plenty of raw foods strawberries, watermelon, blueberries... just to name a few. I don't think it's a big deal.
  • steamed watermelon??? I cannot wrap my brain around that one.  Just rinse well and be mindful of texture and size!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagepharmer78:

steamed watermelon??? I cannot wrap my brain around that one.  Just rinse well and be mindful of texture and size!

My reaction was similar, I just can't think of a good reason not to give her most raw foods. 

• imagethe mathlete:
    imageAKB090609:

steam watermelon

My immediate reaction to this is: lol, no. 

Mine too! L has had nearly every fruit raw, some cooked as well. I get cooking veggies since most of them are too hard to chew, but if it is fleshy (peppers) she has had them raw too.  

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Par13Par13 member
    Off the top of my head, we've given raw cucumber, peppers, apricot, watermelon, mango, banana, and strawberries. I can't imagine cooking certain things like watermelon.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• I've never ever heard that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Phew, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found this to be crazy. I couldn't think of a good reason for her opinion and by now I should know to smile and nod when she tells me things (last month she told me I need to be giving DD skim milk rather than BF).
  • imagethe mathlete:

imageAKB090609:
    (last month she told me I need to be giving DD skim milk rather than BF).

I can't even. 

Sometimes I wonder how we survived our childhoods.

DH's GMIL didn't understand why we weren't giving LO PUDDING at 6 months. Really? 

LOL What do you mean you don't give her pudding! She needs pudding!!!  

• I prefer to saute the watermelon in a little bit of butter.

• Just wash the outsides of melons before cutting to ensure they are clean. It should be fine, although I have seen Iron Chefs cook watermelon before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagethe mathlete:
    imageAKB090609:

LOL What do you mean you don't give her pudding! She needs pudding!!!  

She didn't eat any meat. Can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat. 

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat? 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • imageanitalynn:
    imageJulesDiane:
    I prefer to saute the watermelon in a little bit of butter.

Please tell me this is sarcasm..!?

Haha yes it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"