3rd Trimester
Options

When sick who do you call?

Do I call OB or Primary doc?  28 wks today came down w/fever & body aches, stuffy nose.  My 3yr old is currently fighting off something viral w/fever and coughing.  Just don't know if I should call someone.

Re: When sick who do you call?

• Options
    I was sick twice this pg. I never called dr. Just got over it on my own. My OB said to call him if fever was 102 or higher. Just drink lots and lots of water!  I also found peppermint tea to be helpful. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's the thing my thermometer isn't accurate. But I'm on fire w/shakes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you'd see your primary physician not your OB. But they can't do much. Drink water and rest.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If it's not baby related call your regular doctor.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options

imageJM1226:

Can u get DH to go to store to buy you a new thermometer?  It sounds like u r definitely running a fever. I take lukewarm or cool baths to bring down my fever (and I do that for DD too since its impossible to get her to take Tylenol).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagedavis0905:

imageJM1226:

Can u get DH to go to store to buy you a new thermometer?  It sounds like u r definitely running a fever. I take lukewarm or cool baths to bring down my fever (and I do that for DD too since its impossible to get her to take Tylenol).   

DH won't go to store bc he thinks the thermometer doesn't get old ....I obviously have a high temp than 100.0. 

• Options
    imageJM1226:
    imagedavis0905:

imageJM1226:

DH won't go to store bc he thinks the thermometer doesn't get old ....I obviously have a high temp than 100.0. 

Um, you need to remind him that a fever can be dangerous and beyond knowing how high it is, you need to know if it's coming down with meds.

I had a stomach bug with fever a couple months back and did call the OB just because I was worried about dehydration.  They were very clear that I was NOT to go to L&D and get all the moms and babies sick but that if I couldn't keep down fluids/my fever was uncontrollable, I'd need to head to the ER.  I also battled a sinus infection earlier in pregnancy and was advised to deal directly with my PCP. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

I wouldn't call anyone just because I was sick. There would have to be a real reason like not being able to keep fluids down or an abnormally high fever that isn't brought down by Tylenol.

• Options
    Soleil3Soleil3 member
    I was sick in the first tri and didn't call anyone, nothing they can do. Take tylanol for your fever/non fever, drink as much water and gatoraid as you can handle, and get some sleep. 
    image image

• Options
    imageelmoali:

I had a stomach bug with fever a couple months back and did call the OB just because I was worried about dehydration.  They were very clear that I was NOT to go to L&D and get all the moms and babies sick but that if I couldn't keep down fluids/my fever was uncontrollable, I'd need to head to the ER.  I also battled a sinus infection earlier in pregnancy and was advised to deal directly with my PCP. 

That's weird. When I was extremely sick a couple weeks ago and throwing up all night, my Midwife sent me to L&D. Every pregnant woman over 20 weeks that goes to the ER gets sent to L&D.

• Options
    imageelmoali:

Bump Burp

• Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    imageelmoali:

That's weird. When I was extremely sick a couple weeks ago and throwing up all night, my Midwife sent me to L&D. Every pregnant woman over 20 weeks that goes to the ER gets sent to L&D.

They told me they'd send a L&D nurse to the ER to check the baby but that having me come while so sick was way too risky for the other patients and new babies. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    skioskio member
    I always call my OB first during pregnancy.

But I wouldn't call for what you're describing. I'd tell my husband to stop being a diick and go get a new thermometer and I'd control any fever with Tylenol and be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest.

I'd call the doc if the fever wasn't controllable or if my symptoms got severe.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm one who never calls unless I need to go in, for anyone in our family. I can tell when it needs medical attention and when it doesn't, and I have ways to help myself heal at home.
  • Options

imageskio:
    I always call my OB first during pregnancy. But I wouldn't call for what you're describing. I'd tell my husband to stop being a diick and go get a new thermometer and I'd control any fever with Tylenol and be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest. I'd call the doc if the fever wasn't controllable or if my symptoms got severe.

This for sure. 

Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • Options

imageskio:
    I always call my OB first during pregnancy. But I wouldn't call for what you're describing. I'd tell my husband to stop being a diick and go get a new thermometer and I'd control any fever with Tylenol and be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest. I'd call the doc if the fever wasn't controllable or if my symptoms got severe.

LOL!

• Options
    My family doctor is also an OB, so I see the same person for everything right now. It rocks! I emailed him when I had a stomach flu with a fever because I was worried about dehydration, but every other virus I just battled through.
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • Options

imagesophie206:
    My family doctor is also an OB, so I see the same person for everything right now. It rocks! I emailed him when I had a stomach flu with a fever because I was worried about dehydration, but every other virus I just battled through.

I see my family doctor now for pregnancy care as well.  She's not an OB, but she does deliver babies (she just can't perform c-sections).  It is nice to have one doctor for everything!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options

imageskio:

Yes. I call my OB first too. But only if fever was real severe or not keeping fluids down.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageskio:
    I wouldn't call for what you're describing. I'd tell my husband to stop being a diick and go get a new thermometer and I'd control any fever with Tylenol and be sure to drink lots of fluids and rest. I'd call the doc if the fever wasn't controllable or if my symptoms got severe.

ditto this.

The three freaking times I was sick this pregnancy and felt I needed to be seen (twice, once for a double ear infection and once for strep) I called my primary.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsBlindLove:

imageskio:

This for sure. 

absolutely!! 

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"