Breastfeeding

I keep praying...

That this baby will be a BF'er. My son had nothing to do with it and I was crushed. So I pray and hope this time will be easier. I was a stressed teen when I had my son so that probably had a lot to do with it.

2 questions:

What are some tips/techniques from you expert breast feeders so make things easier/more convenient.

and whats the best breast pump and why do you think so?

TIA!

Re: I keep praying...

• CLLDLLCLLDLL member

Stress is HUGE when it comes to BF'ing.  So just you going into this thinking that you don't want to stress over it will help a ton.

I highly recommend taking a class and/or reading a good BF'ing book like "The Womanly Art of BF'ing" or "So That's What They're For" before you give birth.  I also recommend getting support system set up now.  By support system I mean 1.) The number of at least two LCs you can call if you have issues.  (you need two because sometimes one will see/suggest something the other missed) 2.) The time and location of either a BF'ing support group, Le Leche League meeting, or a mommy friend or two who have BF'ed before.  3.) Get your SO on board. Make sure he/she understands how hard BF'ing will be and how to help you/support you when you need it. Make sure he/she knows not to take offense when baby wants you 24/7 at times. 4.) Enlist the help of friends/family who will help you with things like cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping those first few weeks when all you really have time to do is BF, eat, drink, and sleep.

Finally, don't take the word of your pedi as gospel when it comes to BF'ing. Not all, but a lot of Pedi's just aren't educated in what BF'ing should be like. I always listened to my pedi, but then talked with my LC about it before doing anything.

As far as breast pumps, it really depends on how you'll be using it. If you are going back to work full-time you need a double electric pump. Most people like Medela Pump In Style Advance or the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra. I personally prefer the Ameda just because it's a closed system.  That means that milk can't accidentally get into the motor & mold.  That also means you can share/sell your pump when you're done with it and the 2nd user doesn't have to worry about cross-contamination.  But both are great pumps, and both companies have great customer service.  Check with your insurance because most companies pay for some sort of pump. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Thanks so much! yes, I was a stressed teen when I had my son and I also developed mastitis.

He is almost 10 so this time around I am less stressed =)

We plan on me being a stay at home momma but I like the idea of the closed pump system also. Thanks for your info

• Loading the player...
  • My ds2 wasnt able to nurse at the breast for a while after his birth and trying to do so for feedings was becoming very frustrating so we moved to pumping and randomly putting him to breast after a smaller feeding for what I called practice feeings. Took the stress off and now at 12 weeks he is slowly getting the hang of feeding at the breast and I can now say I have feed him breastmilk twice as long as I did my first two.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"