Parenting

Gay Boy Scouts

This is a highly controversial topic, so it might incite some discussion, but I hope that it can be respectful.

As you probably have heard, the Boy Scouts recently changed the rules to allow "open and avowed" gay scouts and leaders. I personally don't have a problem with it because even if you consider homosexuality a sin, there are other sins, such as lust, that probably every Boy Scout struggles with. But some of my Facebook friends are all upset about it, and I had a talk with my mom about it, and she is also distraught. My brother is a Boy Scout, and she said that she worries about his safety and the influence if there are gay scouts and leaders.

I personally feel that because someone is gay, that does not make them a pedophile. I also feel that homosexuality is not a communicable disease. I am a Christian, but I know that many people would think that I'm a bad Christian for having these opinions.

What do you think? My mom thinks that I'll feel differently once DS gets a little older. For those of you who have sons, does the Boy Scout allowing gays make you less likely to let your son be a part of Boy Scouts? Other thoughts?

Re: Gay Boy Scouts

• FWIW, my dad is "straight" and a pedophile.

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with a person's capacity to do evil.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Homosexuality is not a contagious disease that turns you into a pedophile FFS. Yes, my children are around gay people. I have no problem with it at all.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Loading the player...
  • This makes it much more likely I'll allow ds to do scouts.

The idea that a gay leader would make a boy less safe is very offensive and makes me ragey.

And I don't feel you're a bad Christian for supporting gays and gay rights.

image image
  • imageRondackHiker:
    This makes it much more likely I'll allow ds to do scouts. The idea that a gay leader would make a boy less safe is very offensive and makes me ragey. And I don't feel you're a bad Christian for supporting gays and gay rights.

This - plus, DS's first baby sitter was a gay man. He and his husband are lovely people.

• I don't associate homosexuality with pedophiles. I think no less of a homosexual than I would a heterosexual.  A pedophile is in their own disgusting class of people.  Any qualms I would have about  sending my son on a camping trip with the boy scouts would be based on reading about predators in the organization - and I  think most of them were married men. 

As far as being Christian, the conversations that I've had with my priests are that as Christians we are to show love.  Now, I take issue with the whole "no sex unless you're married", but homosexuals aren't allowed to get married aspect of that.  But in all my time sitting in the pew I've never heard the priest condemn someone for being gay. 

And I think that if people want to leave the organization because they are too narrow minded to accept that gay scouts are now allowed - well, then it actually makes me more likely to sign my kid up now that they're weeding themselves out.

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• A homosexual person is not contagious, and is not someone to be "afraid" of.  I just despise that mentality.  Some of the best, kindest people I know are gay... I just wish that sort of thinking would die already.

Now.. if you're a religious person and you do not believe in gay marriage, or believe homosexuality is "right" ... that is your choice. Keep your life to yourself and let others live their life by their beliefs in peace, that's all I ask.

But to "fear for our children" and freak out that they're more likely to be victimized because of gay leaders or fellow gay scouts? Eyeroll.

And not saying they dont exist, but I actually cant even think of a story about a pedophile where he was socially known as gay.... usually they appear as "normal" straight men, with families and kids of their own, and very often the victims are boys.  A pedophile is a disgusting excuse for a human being that doesnt deserve oxygen, that is the only way to define them... not by sexual orientation.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • Oh and in case it wasnt clear in my first response, no I have no issue whatsoever with allowing my son into the scouts with other scouts or leaders that are gay. 

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • imageItsAllGravy7:
    Op I'm also glad that you personally feel that homosexuality does not equal pedophilia because that isn't really an opinion that's up for debate, it's factually incorrect. The two are not related.

It's so freaking sad that people think that this is an opinion. Uggggh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageItsAllGravy7:
    Op I'm also glad that you personally feel that homosexuality does not equal pedophilia because that isn't really an opinion that's up for debate, it's factually incorrect. The two are not related.

Thank you! Also, I am pretty sure Gravy is right, and only gay scouts are allowed in now, not gay leaders. So, basically the Boy Scouts are still too bigoted for rational and tolerant people to respect them, but not bigoted enough for the intolerant people to stay in the group. I'm not sure what their plan is there. 

I'm pretty sure DS will never be a Boy Scout unless they ditch a lot of the religious overtones and genuinely, warmly open their arms to boys of all stripes. 

ETA: Felt like I should remove mean word from post because poster asked that we be respectful and it wasn't.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Xtine22Xtine22 member
    I see gay scout leaders the same way as I see dads coaching their daughter softball team. Nothing wrong with either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MaebbMaebb member
    Well, I always kind of knew that the bump community was more openminded than my Facebook friends. What can I say, I grew up in the South in a Baptist church, although I'm not a Baptist anymore. It's nice to hear some opinions to make me feel like I'm not the crazy one.

I could be wrong about the leaders vs scouts thing. I was just going off of what someone else said, but I didn't research it.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had to deal with abuse either directly or indirectly in their lives. Sexual abuse is so extremely sad, and I wish it didn't exist. I also wish the world could be a more loving and accepting place.
  • imageMaebb:
    Well, I always kind of knew that the bump community was more openminded than my Facebook friends. What can I say, I grew up in the South in a Baptist church, although I'm not a Baptist anymore. It's nice to hear some opinions to make me feel like I'm not the crazy one. I could be wrong about the leaders vs scouts thing. I was just going off of what someone else said, but I didn't research it. I'm sorry for anyone who has had to deal with abuse either directly or indirectly in their lives. Sexual abuse is so extremely sad, and I wish it didn't exist. I also wish the world could be a more loving and accepting place.

I definitely agree with your last line. It's sad to be surrounded by fear, hatred, and intolerance, but it sounds like you're a tolerant and open person, so you're at least putting more love and acceptance out into the world!  

DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • I also saw this article on Reddit. It's almost painfully sad, at least for me. Dad tells kid they have to quit Boy Scouts because of the impending gay tide. Kid cries and says BS should "be like church. Everybody should be welcome." Dad shuts that down with ignorant anti-gay horse crap. 

Kids are born accepting and tolerant until their parents corrupt them. 

https://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/3118633729-after-vote-allowing-gay-kids-to-become-boy-scouts-some-families-call-it-quits?lite

Sorry, no idea how to make it clicky.  

DS is 1DAF

• mom2onemom2one member
    I  pulled my sons OUT of Scouts because of their decision NOT to allow Gay Leaders...so I think they haven't done enough.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • The beauty of it is that I have the choice to enroll my potential future son in it or not. As of now, I wouldn't, because I disagree with their ban on gay leaders. Unlike my choice as a parent, homosexuals do not choose to be gay. Denying them the opportunity because religions think (wrongly) that it's a lifestyle choice they made is wrong. Allowing gay scouts is a start but it's not enough, IMO.
    My sweet angels...
    Baby girl grew wings 11/14/11, 20w
    Baby boy grew wings 4/20/13, 16w
  • No, allowing gays in the boy scouts doesn't effect my decision on letting my son join the Boy Scouts.

Gay =/= chester the molester.

• imageKlondikeBar:
    Homosexuality is not a contagious disease that turns you into a pedophile FFS. Yes, my children are around gay people. I have no problem with it at all.

You mean, my kid cant catch the geigh? Whew!

As long as they automatically disallow gay leaders, my son will not be a boy scout.

I work up the street from their national hq, and I wish every day that I could just go protest during my lunch or sumshit.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Dirty lurker here, but BSoA came to "recruit" at my kids' school. My son was SO excited about the chance, but I did not let him join because of their anti-gay policies. It actually ended up being a great conversation starter about acceptance for us.
  • imagechapski:

No, allowing gays in the boy scouts doesn't effect my decision on letting my son join the Boy Scouts.

Gay =/= chester the molester.

This reference. I got it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is controversial topic on Parenting?
  • imageMaebb:
    I personally feel that because someone is gay, that does not make them a pedophile. I also feel that homosexuality is not a communicable disease. 

You are correct.  It makes me sad to think that this is even a prevailing theory.  If sexuality was a communicable disease, straight people would be able to "cure" gay just by hanging out with them.  Doesn't work.  Obviously.

imageMaebb:

What do you think? My mom thinks that I'll feel differently once DS gets a little older. For those of you who have sons, does the Boy Scout allowing gays make you less likely to let your son be a part of Boy Scouts? Other thoughts?

I would feel perfectly comfortable with DS being in the Boy Scouts with or without a gay scout leader.  The only thing that would make me uncomfortable with him joining the Boy Scouts is if they persisted with this prejudiced behavior.  They have a few years to get their sh!t together.  I don't want him learning this kind of systematic hate.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageoverture:
    This is controversial topic on Parenting?

LOL I don't think she goes here.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"