April 2013 Moms

Tips need and tell me I am not alone!

Hey!

So we are FTP and love our LO so much, my DH was over protective for the first week and always held her while I slept.  So she was always being held when sleeping.  The only way we could transition her from being held was putting her in the swing.  She sleeps great... in her swing... she sleeps there at night and during naps.  BUT now she will only sleep if she is moving.  

I would like to transition to her crib or PNP but if she is not moving she only last a few minutes... I have timed her it has been 13 minutes max.  I asked my LC and a few others to help with suggestions (I will let her cry a few minutes but not CIO right now) but they tell me she is still young to let her sleep in the swing.  I can agree but I think the longer I wait the harder it will be.

We went out today and she did great in the stroller as long as it was moving when I stopped moving to shop she would wake up.  Please tell me I am not the only one that always puts their LO in the swing to sleep!

I also need tips on how to transition to not moving and when

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Tips need and tell me I am not alone!

• I was very against letting DS sleep in the swing at night, but we've done it a few times. have you tried using a sound machine? she may be used to hearing daddy breathe or his heart beat while she's being held. what about a swaddle since she's used to being held snuggly? My advice would be just to try and replicate everything about being held.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Ava slept in the swing until she was four months old. She transitioned to the crib just fine. Enjoy the sleep.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have been wondering when and how to transition DS also.  During the day he naps in his swing and at night in his RNP.  Our PNP came with an attachment that vibrates it and I have taken it off and put in on the RNP which makes it vibrate and seems to help DS go to sleep at night.  I am afraid that it is going to be a  nightmare to transition him to his crib that has no movement and doesn't vibrate!
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member

We've never had LO sleep in his swing at night, but he naps in it all the time, and if he's freaking out, it is one of the only things that chills him out.

But here's how I adjusted him to his "big boy" crib --

Once he was dead asleep in the swing, I'd turn it off and let it slowly stop itself form moving.  Then he would used to sleeping while not swinging. Then I'd pick him up and put him in his crib, so he got used to waking up from naps in his crib.

Once we had about a week of that under our belt, I started putting him to bed in his crib at night, but ONLY after he'd fallen asleep in my arms... and then when he'd wake up at 1 AM or whatever, I'd let him sleep the rest of the night in our room.  I just started eliminating those times in our room slowly -- now he sleeps in there all night and I don't think he's slept in our room in a while!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member
    imageJSS1002:

We've never had LO sleep in his swing at night, but he naps in it all the time, and if he's freaking out, it is one of the only things that chills him out.

But here's how I adjusted him to his "big boy" crib --

Once he was dead asleep in the swing, I'd turn it off and let it slowly stop itself form moving.  Then he would used to sleeping while not swinging. Then I'd pick him up and put him in his crib, so he got used to waking up from naps in his crib.

Once we had about a week of that under our belt, I started putting him to bed in his crib at night, but ONLY after he'd fallen asleep in my arms... and then when he'd wake up at 1 AM or whatever, I'd let him sleep the rest of the night in our room.  I just started eliminating those times in our room slowly -- now he sleeps in there all night and I don't think he's slept in our room in a while!

Oh yeah- and have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? The 5 S's really do work wonders (swaddle, shush, swing/ sway, suck... can't remeber the 5th one). James never did well with beign swaddled in a blanket, but the halo sleep sacks are wonderful. Once I got the hang of the "shush" technique, it started working like magic -- and we do have a white noise machine that I play in his room ALL night long and during naps.  I have definitely been guilty of nursing him to sleep but now I alos just put a paci in his mouth as he's drifting off and it works like a charm.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Does he wake right away when you turn the swing off? I'd start with that so he gets used to sleep without movement. You can also try raising one end of your pnp or crib mattress so he's not lying flat initially. I also otherwise agree with swaddle, loud white noise, and blackout drapes. And pacifier, if he wakes early. We still do all our naps in the swing or stroller but I need to transition her to daytime in the crib too before we start daycare. She doesn't stay asleep either during the day but sleeps fine in the pnp at night. Hoping its easy for both of us, Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lo used to sleep in the swing. We started turning it off after she fell asleep and slowly let it stop moving. Then if she would wake up we would swing it slowly by hand until she goes back down. We did this gor awhile snd she started needing it less, now she sleeps in PnP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"