3rd Trimester
Options

Delayed Cord Clamping

In our birth prep class the instructor asked us to look in to delayed cord clamping. It seems to be a reasonable idea being that the baby reaps the benefits of having the cord blood returned to her body before clamping. Seems like a great idea.

However, as a FTM I don't know the logistics... They'll catch the baby, lay her on my stomach since she is still attached to the placenta, they wait a few minutes, clamp the cord, and then I deliver the placenta? 

Any moms that feel strongly over this practice either way? Any cons I am missing?

Re: Delayed Cord Clamping

• Options
    We did delayed cord clamping last time and will be doing it again this time. Baby is delivered and put on your stomach then you wait 5 minutes until they clamp and cut and you pull the baby up to your chest. Simple.
  • Options

I am extremely pro delayed cord clamping. I actually would like to wait until the placenta is delivered if possible...but definitely until the cord turns white (however long that takes). There is a facebook page and numerous articles detailing the benefits.  My understanding is some cords are actually somewhat long and the baby can be placed relatively high...but if he has to sit in my lap that is fine by me.  I want immediate skin to skin and delayed testing.  If they want to get apgars they can do it while he is on me and weigh him later on. As long of a process as labor is I think they can take whatever time is needed after delivery to allow my little guy to get all of his blood back.

There is a really great video available on YouTube that demonstrates the amount of blood that is returned if clamping is delayed.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my hospital it's just what they do now. I don't even think they ask you, unless maybe you ask to decline it. It's just a 'do' now at mine.
  • Options

I toured one hospital (not the one I will deliver at) and the nurse was extremely familiar with it. I plan to put it in my birth plan outline and give it to the nurses and OB when I deliver. I will also ask about it with the nurse who does the maternity ward tour at the hospital where I will deliver. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First I've heard of this so interesting I will read more on this but there's so much I don't know about being a FTM thanks for your post !!!
  • Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:
    We did delayed cord clamping last time and will be doing it again this time. Baby is delivered andnbsp;put on your stomach thennbsp;you wait 5 minutesnbsp;until theynbsp;clamp and cut and you pull the baby up to your chest. Simple.

This for us as well. The doc showed me the cord had stopped pulsing and I gave the ok for my hubby to cut the cord. No big deal!

• Options
    There are a few risks, although very small, to delayed cord clamping.  Depending on how long you delay cord clamping, the baby can have an increased risk of jaundice, polycythemia, and respiratory distress.  However, these risks are VERY small and IMO the benefits far outweigh them.  I'm planning on donating the cord blood but if I can't, we will definitely delay clamping at least a minute or 2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I specifically asked for this when I had DS but his cord was so short the doctor couldn't even place him on my belly...in order to pass him to me they clamped/cut the cord. I will again ask for it this time. I think it's pretty beneficial from everything I've read.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

This is standard practice at our hospital now, which I think is great! Someone asked a few days ago about it and I posted a few links, I'm posting them again here for you. The first two are journal articles, the third is a blog post that's written in a scholarly fashion that cites many more journal articles that you can look up if you choose.

The WHO (World Health Org)'s recommendation:

https://apps.who.int/rhl/pregnancy_childbirth/childbirth/3rd_stage/cd004074_abalose_com/en/

British Medical Journal:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3217058/

"Science of Mom" blog post:

https://scienceofmom.com/2012/10/11/why-consider-delayed-cord-clamping/ 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemerc5411:
    There are a few risks, although very small, to delayed cord clamping.  Depending on how long you delay cord clamping, the baby can have an increased risk of jaundice, polycythemia, and respiratory distress.  However, these risks are VERY small and IMO the benefits far outweigh them.  I'm planning on donating the cord blood but if I can't, we will definitely delay clamping at least a minute or 2.

Actually, that is not true at all.

• Options
    We have delayed the cutting of the cord with our three older children and will do it with this baby. It takes a bit longer then five minutes for the cord to stop pulsing. For me we wait till the placenta is delivered then we transfer to the bed all water births then wait for the cord to turn white which can take a bit more time. The cord will naturally clamp itself off by an hour after the placenta is delivered . Btw they haven't been able to prove any negatives from delaying the clamping in normal heathy deliveries . All the talk about jaundice and such were old beliefs doctors had that have turned out to be unfounded. Midwives have knows for many many years that this practice is amazing .
  • Options
    imageAnnaWhite89:

However, as a FTM I don't know the logistics... They'll catch the baby, lay her on my stomach since she is still attached to the placenta, they wait a few minutes, clamp the cord, and then I deliver the placenta? 

Any moms that feel strongly over this practice either way? Any cons I am missing?

I'm sure it's been said, but yep, that's pretty much how it'll go. You can wait a set number of minutes (min recommended is 3) or wait till it stops pulsing. I love having the time to just bond - I don't want my baby with anyone else but me those first few minutes anyway.   It's a great option to consider, and it's cool that it's becoming more the norm at some hospitals.

I HAVE heard that babies can have more jaundice, but it wasn't documented as being significant, and it makes sense that if baby has more blood (which is good), there are more blood cells that have to die off and cycle through.  My practice of nursing frequently the first several days has never resulted in worrisome levels of jaundice. 

• Options
    imageWashingtonQueen:

imagemerc5411:

I agree with wash. In all the research I've done I have not come across these claims. Merc, Do you have a source or a link for this information you could share?
  • Options
    I have read in a few places it can increase the risk of jaundice, let me see if I can find it....
    image image

• Options

Who clicky

." On the other hand, there is also evidence to suggest that delayed umbilical cord clamping and cutting may put newborns at a higher risk of polycythemia, hyperbilirubinemia, and other neonatal disorders (4)."

image image

• Options

And 

ACOG clicky

"In five trials, which involved a total of 1,762 infants, a significant increase was noted in the need for phototherapy for jaundice after birth among infants in the late umbilical cord clamping group (RR, 1.69; 95% CI, 1.08?2.63)"

image image

• Options
    imageStephw32:
    imageWashingtonQueen:

imagemerc5411:

I agree with wash. In all the research I've done I have not come across these claims. Merc, Do you have a source or a link for this information you could share?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been trying to install this stupid car seat.  Pregnancy brain is kicking my a$$!  Here is the link to the study I was looking at.  https://apps.who.int/rhl/reviews/CD004074sp.pdf  ( sorry, I don't know how to make it clicky)

I've looked more and most studies do say there is no significant difference in polycythemia and fluid overload.  I think delayed cord clamping is beneficial and was simply trying to point out that nothing is without risk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is not enough scientific evidence to convince me of the befits reported are true. We discussed with our doctors at the OB office and it is their policy to not do it.
    "A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemerc5411:
    imageStephw32:
    imageWashingtonQueen:

imagemerc5411:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been trying to install this stupid car seat.  Pregnancy brain is kicking my a$$!  Here is the link to the study I was looking at.  https://apps.who.int/rhl/reviews/CD004074sp.pdf  ( sorry, I don't know how to make it clicky)

I've looked more and most studies do say there is no significant difference in polycythemia and fluid overload.  I think delayed cord clamping is beneficial and was simply trying to point out that nothing is without risk. 

Thanks for the links, I was really curious not trying to challenge the statement necessarily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"