January 2014 Moms
Options

MOH dress after baby

So I'm lucky enough to be a maid of honor at a wedding about 3 months after baby comes!!  I have to order my dress within the next few months.  How am I suppose to know what size to order?  Order my current size and hope for the best?  Order a size up?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: MOH dress after baby

• Options
    kilbskilbs member

I know you don't want to hear this, but go a size or two up.  At three months PP with my DD1, I was no where near my pre-PG size, despite healthy eating and exercise.  Everyone is different, but at least if you get bigger, it can be altered down.

Avashark Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    good call! I was in a wedding the month before I got married. I ended up having to take in the dress by 3 sizes! So, better to have bigger and take it in, than smaller and be screwed!! 
    Married since 2008 Me:36 DH: 35 TTC since August 2011. SA - "good" ultrasound - "excellent" Blood work - "good" Diagnosis: unexplained infertility Starting cycle 1 of clomid 3/27
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, I would try to wait to order it until after the baby is born. Everybody's body reacts differently to pregnancy. I could fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans immediately following birth. I chose to wear loose fitting comfier pants but I could get into them. I ended up moving up a pants size but it was because of my hips, not because of additional weight. My breasts were huge. Like, I couldn't wear any of my shirts without falling out. I bought a swim suit at about 6 months post partum with small bottoms and an extra large top... If you HAVE to order it now I would go for a size up or so simply because you can make alterations to a larger size easier. If there is anyway way you can wait, do it. ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DishyloDishylo member

If you can wait to order until after the baby - do.  But if it takes too long to order/make etc, I would go 2 or 3 sizes up.  Remember.....you can always take a dress in but you can't just add fabric to make it bigger!

My sister was my MOH when she was 5.5 months pregnant and we had dresses made.  She ordered 3 sizes bigger and by that time just had to take it in a little :) 

• Options
    Size up and then tailor down. I had to do that 6 weeks post DD for my sister's wedding.
  • Options

I got pregnant and had my DD between the time I purchased my wedding gown and our actual wedding (when she was 3mos old) and there were a LOT of ups and downs with my sizing that last month, from hips widening after birth and larger chest from BFing, to losing a lot of weight from an unexpected illness, to shrinking chest and gaining a little from weaning... None of which I would have predicted during pregnancy. That being said, if you have a good tailor they should be able to make "a size up" work in under almost any circumstance, I think.

also, if the dress style is more A-line you may be able to get away with a little more as far as ordering early because there's more wiggle room. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have the exact same issue. I'm in a wedding in May so I really hope to be back to me pre-pregnancy size but who knows. I think I will order one size larger to be on the safe side. Hopefully I will be taking it in!!!
             *********************************************************************************

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married October 2009. Me 29 H 28.
    After 1 year of infertility, our little miracle was conceived via our 3rd IUI on May 5, 2013.
    Holland Sophia was born Jan 24, 2014.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was in a wedding a few months after DS1 was born and I ordered my dress 1 size up from my pre-preg weight.  I was glad I did! :) You can always get it taken in if you go right back to your normal size, but taking it out gets a bit tougher... 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options

Yup - at least one size up, if not two. Obviously easier to alter down than add to it.

I'm in a wedding in September and already ordered my dress in my natural size [and it's too late to order a new one and not pay again]. I'm almost positive I'm going to have to back out of her wedding, because I'm not paying to order another dress. Ah well.

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    It's a lot easier to alter a dress down than up. I would order at least a size or two up. Three months postpartum with DD, I had lost a decent amount of weight, but my boobs were huge, and I still was like 2-3 months away from being in my pre-pregnancy size.

• Options
    Thanks guys!  I think I will probably go 2 sizes up.  I mean who knows what will happen at the birth.  If I end up needing a c-section that is going to already cut in my time for trying to lose some weight -- better safe than sorry!

• Options
    I'm in the same situation--I am the maid of honor in my sisters wedding in March. My plan is to order a size up, and then alter if needed. 

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

• Options
    Just make sure you account for your boobs if you plan on nursing when ordering size.

• Options

imagesugarland726:
    Just make sure you account for your boobs if you plan on nursing when ordering size.

I do plan on nursing - but this is my first so I have NO idea on how that is going to affect me.  I have the smallest boobs in the world as of now.  

• Options
    I'm in the same situation, MOH at the end of May so it will be about four months after baby.  I'm hoping I will have lost some of that baby weight by then?
    BabyFruit Ticker EDD oct 22, 14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"