November 2013 Moms

Give me your Best

MIL is coming to visit tonight (FML).  I need your best "Keep your hands off my stomach" responses please.  The snarkier the better.  Thanks!

Re: Give me your Best

• Pervious pregnancies I've just put my hand on theirs. When I get the what are you doing (look) I just respond with " I thought we were playing who can make who more uncomfortable"
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DSMLoveDSMLove member
    imageSing2phins:
    She's your motherinlaw.nbsp; Is snark really necessary/appropriate?

For people that don't know how to respect personal space? It's absolutely necessary and appropriate.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSing2phins:
    She's your mother-in-law.  Is snark really necessary/appropriate?

YES.

• This is the one I give my friends which is probably inappropriate for MILs "you touch, you die..." Oh, and you have to give the stink eye with it. I haven't seen my MIL since I got knocked up so I haven't had the opportunity to set my boundaries with her yet... but I'd probably end up saying "please don't touch me, I'm not comfortable with that yet because it's mostly my internal organs you are groping."
    Me: 28 yo | DH: 28 yo
    Married 2012
    DD: 3 yo
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • imageSing2phins:

You don't know her situation so snark could DEFINITELY be appropriate! It's always good to have a little ammo when dealing with MILs. Not all MIL are p&r.

Married 2012
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • J+A+N+EJ+A+N+E member
    it's not a magic lamp...please stop rubbing it.
  • imageJ+A+N+E:
    it's not a magic lamp...please stop rubbing it.

HAHAHA! LOVE

• dnt27dnt27 member
    imageSing2phins:

Oh wah, it's just snark, shes not threatening her life.
    Teagan Grace born 12.07.13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

January siggy challenge
  • DSMLoveDSMLove member
    Careful, I ate the last person that touched me there...
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • imageSing2phins:

If she's like my MIL YES it is
    imageimage
  • imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

All I did was ask a question - I simply don't happen to think snark is the best idea in all cases.  If, in this case, the OP thinks so, that's fine.  That's why I asked.  For strangers?  Yes. Snark away.  With *my* MIL, I wouldn't dream of it.

OP obviously thought so since that is what the OP is about.

Married 2012
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

All I did was ask a question - I simply don't happen to think snark is the best idea in all cases.  If, in this case, the OP thinks so, that's fine.  That's why I asked.  For strangers?  Yes. Snark away.  With *my* MIL, I wouldn't dream of it.

I wouldn't have asked for snarky responses if it wasn't warranted.  

• ballre1ballre1 member
    imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

Well I don't think she'd ask for snarky responses if her mil was Glenda the good witch, but that's just my opinion.
  • imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

Obviously she does think it's needed or she wouldn't have asked for snarky responses.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageDSMLove:

I'm putting this one in my arsenal for later Wink 

Married 2012
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • dnt27dnt27 member
    imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

Well it's a good thing it isn't you MIL then.
    Teagan Grace born 12.07.13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

January siggy challenge
  • I posted about my snarky response to ny MIL last week and was told that I was rude. Here is how mine went:

MIL: "oh wow look how big your belly is getting" rubs belly.

Me: takes her hand off my belly, "you didn't put the baby in there so don't touch my stomach."

I don't get along with my MIL, to the points that I dont even hug her. Ever. Being pregnant does not give people to right to touch you if you dont want them to and it sure as sh!t is not her right as grandma to rubs your belly.

I dont mind showing off my belly, through pictures or in person... But that doesn't mean touch it without asking first.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • imageestreyas:
    imagemelisx33:

I don't get why women are so angry over family just touching their bump. You post and brag about it all over online for strangers to see but get upset when family members touch it. Strangers-totally different story, that's weird. I really don't see the point in getting snippy about it.  

My body. My personal space. Family or not, no one touches me without my permission: that's disrespecting my body and intruding on my personal space. My mother taught me that when I was little, and the idea is making a resurgence in articles like this: https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/living/give-grandma-hug-child (can't make it clicky on a Mac). 

If someone thinks that just because I'm pregnant they can touch my stomach, does that mean they think they can touch the rest of me any time they want?

Thankfully I live in India, where touching other people Is So Not A Thing, and I won't be around any family but my husband.  

YOU SAID IT!  My husband doesn't even grab at my stomach unless I put his hand there and he is the one person that I wouldn't mind rubbing it from time to time.

• imageequibabe611:
    I posted about my snarky response to ny MIL last week and was told that I was rude. Here is how mine went: MIL: "oh wow look how big your belly is getting" rubs belly. Me: takes her hand off my belly, "you didn't put the baby in there so don't touch my stomach." I don't get along with my MIL, to the points that I dont even hug her. Ever. Being pregnant does not give people to right to touch you if you dont want them to and it sure as sh!t is not her right as grandma to rubs your belly. I dont mind showing off my belly, through pictures or in person... But that doesn't mean touch it without asking first.

I thought it sounded deserved plus her response to you would have ticked me off! I would have probably freaked but you handled it pretty well imo. Some family deserve it and some don't. It is what it is and unfortunately we are stuck with them because they are family.

Married 2012
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • imageequibabe611:
    I posted about my snarky response to ny MIL last week and was told that I was rude. Here is how mine went: MIL: "oh wow look how big your belly is getting" rubs belly. Me: takes her hand off my belly, "you didn't put the baby in there so don't touch my stomach." I don't get along with my MIL, to the points that I dont even hug her. Ever. Being pregnant does not give people to right to touch you if you dont want them to and it sure as sh!t is not her right as grandma to rubs your belly. I dont mind showing off my belly, through pictures or in person... But that doesn't mean touch it without asking first.

I remember your post and I could not believe her response.  She told you that she was responsible because she gave birth to your DH right?

• imagejaymayhatton:

imageDSMLove:

I'm putting this one in my arsenal for later Wink 

This is awesome!!  Big Smile

• Zilly13Zilly13 member

"I'm feeling really gassy"

That should keep her a fair distance away.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• "You touchy, I bitey!"
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imagefiddlefern:

imageequibabe611:
    I posted about my snarky response to ny MIL last week and was told that I was rude. Here is how mine went:

MIL: "oh wow look how big your belly is getting" rubs belly.

Me: takes her hand off my belly, "you didn't put the baby in there so don't touch my stomach."

I don't get along with my MIL, to the points that I dont even hug her. Ever. Being pregnant does not give people to right to touch you if you dont want them to and it sure as sh!t is not her right as grandma to rubs your belly.

I dont mind showing off my belly, through pictures or in person... But that doesn't mean touch it without asking first.

&nbsp;I remember your post and I could not believe her response.&nbsp; She told you that she was responsible because she gave birth to your DH right?

Yup. She said that she gave me the man to put the baby in there, so it was her right to touch me. I had to stop myself from being a b!tch when she said that and just laughed at her.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • I'm going to modify my white maternity tank top with some markers.  I'll put a hand print and write "don't even think about it" arch'd over the top.  That should get the message across.  You could have the tank finished by the time your MIL gets there.  If you wear it all weekend she'll get it loud and clear!
    Me 39, DH 40. Married on 9/18/2010 and have been TTC since. IVF # 1-7/13/2012, 15 retreived, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred, 4 frozen. BFP Natural MC 9/10 IVF#2, FET - 12/3/201 2 - 3 transferred, BFP! Natural MC 12/25/2012 IFV #3, 2/27/2013 - 3 transferred, BFP! TWINS!!! Loss of one twin 3/20/13.One sticky hanging on!Pregnancy%20ticker
    imageimage

• imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

All I did was ask a question - I simply don't happen to think snark is the best idea in all cases.&nbsp; If, in this case, the OP thinks so, that's fine.&nbsp; That's why I asked.&nbsp; For strangers?&nbsp; Yes. Snark away.&nbsp; With *my* MIL, I wouldn't dream of it.

So you are scared of your MIL?
    My MIL has told me I'm a horrible parent and I've turned her son against her. If she ever touched my stomach it would end in WWIII.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with you. I was taught to be the bigger person and kill 'em with kindness. That and to respect my elders. In my mind, snark is hardly ever called for especially to family and in laws. It just makes you look childish. Simply tell her you prefer not to be touched. End of story.

ETA: that was supposed to quote the first response
  • I grab people hands and say "don't" when they're going in for the rub. I haven't had anyone try again.
  • I usually go with touch me and pull back a nub. Or go off in Spanish.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJules122907:
    I agree with you. I was taught to be the bigger person and kill 'em with kindness. That and to respect my elders. In my mind, snark is hardly ever called for especially to family and in laws. It just makes you look childish. Simply tell her you prefer not to be touched. End of story. ETA: that was supposed to quote the first response

I was taught to respect my elders and I do, if they deserve it or if I just met them and they haven't broken my trust or shown me a reason for me not to respect them. It depends on the person's situation. I don't respect most of my family from my mother's side because they are all a mess of drug addicts, liars, and thieves. I was fortunate enough to be raised by my mom who escaped that life and raised me pretty traditionally. Just because they are my family, doesn't mean I have to grin and bare it or respect them. You don't know her situation so don't judge. All she asked was for a good response for a MIL that deserves it but this post has turned into a flame fest and she's gotten like 3 good responses. Come on ladies, let's hear them!

Married 2012
    TTC #2 August 2017
  • imageSing2phins:

Sometimes it's absolutely necessary.

• I never have anything clever to say, though. I just move their hand and give them a look.

• imageestreyas:
    imagemelisx33:

I don't get why women are so angry over family just touching their bump. You post and brag about it all over online for strangers to see but get upset when family members touch it. Strangers-totally different story, that's weird. I really don't see the point in getting snippy about it.  

My body. My personal space. Family or not, no one touches me without my permission: that's disrespecting my body and intruding on my personal space. My mother taught me that when I was little, and the idea is making a resurgence in articles like this: https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/living/give-grandma-hug-child (can't make it clicky on a Mac). 

If someone thinks that just because I'm pregnant they can touch my stomach, does that mean they think they can touch the rest of me any time they want?

Thankfully I live in India, where touching other people Is So Not A Thing, and I won't be around any family but my husband.  

Unrelated to the original topic, but I have to say - Thank you so much for posting that CNN article. Seriously.  I honestly never looked at hugs/kisses for family members that way.  I've been seriously guilty of allowing grandmas/grandpas to force hugs and bother my daughter until she gives them a kiss.  After reading this article I'm looking at that with a completely different light.  Honestly... thank you so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • DSMLoveDSMLove member
    Or how about,

I wouldn't do that, it's probably contagious!

ETA I really like this one for men that don't have the sense to keep their hands to themselves.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Ever been slapped by a pregnant chick? Touch my belly and live the experience!

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• The only person who touched my belly so far has been my lil brother and he gave me the "can I ?" Look so it was ok. Normally I keep my arms crossed over it or my purse in front of it. If people go in for the touch I move away or turn to the side. Plus I have made it known that touching me is not ok. People who do will get the look of death and I will tell them that I don't like being groped. Believe me, my look will let them know not to do it again. I don't get why people feel like they don't have to at least ask before touching you. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo 11E5F5F6-4D0F-49E1-B9B6-320CF42213BE_zpspw0gd9zw.jpg photo 4dcf6524-f3e2-4099-82e2-545cd6740157_zpsb9a1d5a3.jpg
  • "I'll forgive you for asking if you'll forgive me for not letting you!" My fav advice columnist, Carolyn Hax, makes this suggestion anytime someone asks for something that's stepping way over your boundaries. 

• imagemelisx33:

Because its my body. I don't like being touched and I would probably cause bodily harm to my MIL if she even dreamed of laying a finger on me. She knows that too. I even side eyed my mom when she did it and my mom is my favorite person in the world. 

OP: my general response is to reach out and rub their belly and just stare. 

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • imageLoveOfMikesLife:
    Pervious pregnancies I've just put my hand on theirs. When I get the what are you doing (look) I just respond with " I thought we were playing who can make who more uncomfortable"

OMG, this is awesome!!!! 

• imagemelisx33:
    imageSing2phins:

imagednt27:
    imageSing2phins:

Thanks for posting this melsix I totally agree! This was going to be my UO this week but I forgot to post.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"