May 2013 Moms

PIP Elle's Birth Story - Unplanned, Unmedicated, 1.5 Hour Labor

For the Mobile users:  PIP Elle's Birth Story - Unplanned, Unmedicated, 1.5 Hour Labor

Short Version: Elle Victoria was born on 5/28 at 4:48AM after a 1.5 hour labor.  7lbs 2 oz, 19.5 inches.  Elle and Big Sister Brooke (and mom and dad) are settling in and enjoying our time together.

Long Version:  This is a crazy story.  Hold on to your seats....

I had been complaining for days that I just wanted to be done with my pregnancy.  I was tired and uncomfortable.  My due date was anywhere between 5/25 and 5/27 depending on O date or LMP.  And after being early with B, even my due date seemed like a long long wait.

At my 39 week appointment last Monday, I was 5cm and almost fully effaced.  So expected labor to be fairly swift.  I had some BH contractions on and off for a few days but not a single painful contraction.

5/27 comes and goes, we have a very normal day/night and get to bed by 10:30.  At 3:15, I wake up, roll over and think "OUCH!" Then "Man that hurts!"

I get up, walk to the bathroom and still feel tight and sore. While I'm in the bathroom, I get another contraction. So I wake up my husband since it was pretty intense and fast.  I started timing them and they were about 40-50 seconds each and about 2.5 minutes apart.

We called my MIL to have her come be with DD1 and tried to get our neighbor until MIL arrived.  No luck there.  The whole time, I'm super relaxed (aside from the intense contractions). I brush my teeth, call the Dr...  My husband is anxious.  I'm still able to move pretty easily and only have to stop and breathe through the peak of each contraction.  Still 2-2.5 min apart and 40-50 seconds. 

MIL shows at 4:00 AM, so I've been contracting at home for 45 min.  We head to the hospital by 4:05.

MH is driving fast and every bump, turn, whatever killed me.  I had to yell at him to slow down a few times.  I insisted that we would be fine if we just drove like normal.

We arrive at the hospital around 4:20 (I checked my phone app the next day and I had had 24 contractions in that hour.  All 2.5 min apart.)  I check in, contracting the whole time.  Get sent back to Triage, wait a min (no one else was there) and the nurse comes to get me.  As we were walking to a room, she starts asking me questions...  How frequent?  How long? Have I been checked recently?  What's my progress?  When I tell her I was 5cm last Monday, she kicks things into high gear.

I get in the triage room, put the gown on, on the table, internal exam, 8cm!  8cm?!?!?  WTF?  I get asked if I want an epidural but know that the option is no longer on the table.  Within minutes, I'm in a delivery room, strapped to monitors, another internal...  10cm....  Time to push.  They are still putting an IV in my arm when the On Call Resident shows.  I start pushing. 

4 push sequences, 3-4 pushes per, and Elle was born at 4:48AM.

The entire time I kept thinking and saying "I'm not prepared for this" and "I can't do this!"  I had a WONDERFUL nurse who seriously saved me. The OB arrives just as I'm delivering the placenta. Thanks Doc.  :)  He oversees the stitching.

So I had a completely unmedicated labor and delivery but totally not by choice. I busted blood vessels in my eyes and face.  I look like I was in a fight. Partial 3rd degree tear. 

My hospital made some changes since DD1 was born and they do immediate skin-to-skin for all babies for 1 full hour.  It was very nice to have that while being attended to down there.

Total labor time from first contraction to birth, 1.5 hours

Anyway...  She is perfect and calm and already different than her sister.  She will let you put her down to sleep.  :) 

And here she is:  

Sisters meeting for the first time:

Re: PIP Elle's Birth Story - Unplanned, Unmedicated, 1.5 Hour Labor

• Congrats!!! She is precious! An holy smokes what a story!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Congratulations. Your girls are adorable!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow. You lucky lady! I would have loved to have been done in an hour and a half! Congrats on the great story and cute baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Congratulations! What an amazing experience.

• motangmotang member
    Wow, what a crazy story! Congratulations! I love the pic of your two girls meeting. Precious. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats! And I can't believe your labor story!

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Wow! I'm jealous of your birth! Lol Congrats and Happy Birthday Elle. You have some gorgeous girls!

• pnutgpnutg member
    Wow thats crazy! Congratulations!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats! What a brave momma. 1.5 hours?? Yikes that is fast! It seems every second time mom I hear of has such a speedy labor. This scares me! I am waiting to go into labor with baby #2 any day now and do not want to go through with it unmedicated. 

How quick was labor with your first child?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagekelslynie:

How quick was labor with your first child?

DD1's labor started with my water breaking - VERY slow leak.  From the time I left my Dr's and was sent to hospital, I was induced, had an epidural and delivered over 12 hours.

I pushed DD1 longer than my entire labor for DD2.

And if you have to do it unmedicated, fast is best IMO.  :)

• Wow and I thought my 6 hour labor was fast. I'm really worried about that kind of labor for my next one....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • congrats she is beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"