November 2013 Moms

Anything for the 1st child?

I have a soon to be 17 month old daughter. Her birthday will be 2 months away when the baby is born. So I was wondering, will any of you ladies will be doing anything for big brother/big sister? I know it's early, but I want to see all the other idea people have!

::Mobile Smiley::

For my daughter, I'm gonna tell her the baby brought her a present for being a new big sister, she will be getting a big sister shirt, and a stuffed animal from build a bear, that's all I got so far. I just want her to feel included with the baby. My husband will be deployed and I live 7 hours away from family, so I won't be having any family coming over. I don't want her to feel left out and alone. Know what I mean?

Re: Anything for the 1st child?

• I haven't thought this far yet. I did buy my 2 year old a book about becoming a big brother but he shuts it when I try to read it to him and wants a different book! I think a shirt and a Build A Bear are good ideas.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be buying DS a little something from the baby.  I'm not sure what it will be yet, I think it depends on what he is into at that time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's a great idea to get a little something for your daughter to keep her from feeling left out, especially since you won't have a ton of help at home for the first portion postpartum.  I like the t-shirt and teddy bear idea.  And maybe a book about what it means to be a big sister.  That way it's educational as well.  Although you might want to start the book before the new one comes along, so she knows what's happening.
    ~Elizabeth ~

Angel Baby # 1 : EDD 9/11/12,  Missed m/c at just over 13 weeks

Angel Baby # 2 : EDD 9/9/13, m/c at 6 weeks

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DD turns 2 a few months before the baby is due, so I won't be dealing with this, but I think you can go either way. A toddler really won't pay attention to who the gift was from. She'll just know that she is getting gifts and may even get bored opening then. My DH and I don't plan on doing a lot of gifts from us since she'll get plenty from other people and she is too young to remember anyway.

I think build a bear sounds great, she'll have a blast. Sounds like it will be a special day, so she won't feel left out or alone.

I do plan on getting a small gift for my DD to give her when she visits at the hospital. I am worried that the baby will be getting tons of attention and she will get jealous.

We already have a big sister shirt and a welcome baby book. We talk about my pregnancy and the baby with her. Not sure how much sinks in, but we want her to be included.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My DS's birthday is going to be about the same time as when this baby is born.  Make planning his bday party interesting!!  I love your idea on the shirt and stuffed animal!  We're going to have DS wear a Big Brother shirt the first time he comes to the hospital and probably have something small from the baby to give him.  Not sure what yet - like PP, it will depend on what he's into at that time. 

• My boys are 9 & 11, so I don't know what I can buy them that won't seem childish. But we have kept them very involved in the pregnancy, reading (age appropriate) weekly updates, letting them help with names, etc. I definitely think it helps gel the family to make sure no one feels left out.
  • We will be getting something for DD from the baby, not sure what yet though, and then we will take her to build a bear to help make a bear for her new brother.   DH and I made one for her before she was born, so it will be neat to have her participate in making the one for him.   

January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• We are making my son a busy board, a piece of wood with different switches, locks and knobs screwed on it to play with. I'll paint his name on it. It will be from the baby, he will love it, will practice fine motor skills and keep him busy for a long time...win! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageZippida:
    I think it's a great idea to get a little something for your daughter to keep her from feeling left out, especially since you won't have a ton of help at home for the first portion postpartum.nbsp; I like the tshirt and teddy bear idea.nbsp; And maybe a book about what it means to be a big sister.nbsp; That way it's educational as well.nbsp; Although you might want to start the book before the new one comes along, so she knows what's happening.

My husband is all up for the idea. She knows there's a baby in the tummy. She lays her head on my stomach when we cuddle, she ditched me for the baby lol. I like the book, I'm thinking just the shirt and the bear since Christmas will be around the corner. And I'm still trying to look for a good book.
  • Those are all great ideas. We're gonna get all this before my husband leaves. He will be leaving 2 months before the baby gets here. I want to keep him included as much as possible also.
  • I think I'm going to get a present for DS from little siblings too.  I really like that idea.  Makes him see them as friends.  :)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"