July 2013 Moms

Fleas! ?????

Good Morning Ladies,

My dogs have been scratching a lot lately so we checked them last night and they are covered in fleas! Me, DH & DD aren't being bite by them, but I'm sure they are in my house everywhere. Any tips for getting rid of them? I know most products we can't use because I'm pregnant. We gave them baths last night to kill some off. We also have this stuff to sprinkle in the yard that you wet and then let dry before you can go outside. It supposedly kills them in your yard so hopefully that works when DH does it this weekend.

I'm feeling gross about my house now because the baby will be here in a month and I saw some stuff on the interenet that says it takes a couple times of treating the dogs before they are all gone. I don't want to bring my baby home to fleas ;(

Thanks in advance...

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Fleas! ?????

• Oh no! I am so sorry! I haven't had to deal with fleas but we just found mice hiding in our fireplace and now I am in the same boat with trying to figure out a safe option to get rid of them before baby comes. Can you call PetsMart or a vet to ask them what woul work best?

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Baby powder near the walls and by the doors. It makes it slippery so the buggers can't climb the walls. You can also dust the base of your bed so they can't climb. Vaccuum every single day, multiple times a day and DUMP THE BAG. Flea eggs can hatch in there and you have more of a problem with fleas spreading as you vaccum. 

Wash your sheets, vaccum your couches etc.

Fleas are a PITA.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I might do. I heard there is a shot the Vet can give the dogs to kill the fleas and eggs that are on them right now and I was thinking I might just call a pest control place to come treat for the fleas and spiders and mice and all. We saw some mice running across our back fence so hopefully they aren't in the house but I might as well treat for everything if I'm getting it done anyway...
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • You need to go get Frontline or some other type of medicine for them.  The most important part is just preventing them in general.  I don't know what to do about the fleas that are actually in your house though.  Sorry.
  • We started using this stuff that you put in their water since its all natural when I got pregnant but it doesn't work aparantly since they have them now...DH will just have to do everything while I got off for the day or something
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Eeek, what a mess. "Flea bomb" your house.  Go to Home Depot or Lowes, and buy several cans. I would ask if it's safe for you (which I assume it is, just have your husband set it off) and of course you, your husband, and dogs will have to leave for a couple hours while the house sprayed, but it works.I know that it's safe to return to your house a couple hours later, and usually there isn't even a smell associated with it...you just have to vacuum immediately.

I had this happen before unfortunately, and it is just horrible. Make sure you wash EVERYTHING in hot hot water. And I know that Dawn detergent kills fleas instantly, so if your dogs are still covered, try using that. And definitely go buy some drops or head to the vet for pills for your dogs. You don't want your baby getting exposed to those fleas. I am so sorry. This is probably one of the most stressful things you can encounter right now.

Pregnancy Ticker

• image1NAM:
    That's what I might do. I heard there is a shot the Vet can give the dogs to kill the fleas and eggs that are on them right now and I was thinking I might just call a pest control place to come treat for the fleas and spiders and mice and all. We saw some mice running across our back fence so hopefully they aren't in the house but I might as well treat for everything if I'm getting it done anyway...

I definitely think you're right about calling pest control! Thx!!

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • atlvolatlvol member
    We had this happen last year, it is terrible.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with it! We chose not to "bomb" our house.  Instead, we put in a call to our pest control, they came and sprayed for us.  In addition, I washed EVERYTHING in hot water, bed linens, curtains, etc. and vacuumed all surfaces every day (emptied out the vacuum each time) for over a week.  We also sprayed some flea stuff in the yard and bathed our dog in flea shampoo.  Good luck!  
  • Fleas don't actually live on the animal. They just feed off them and then jump off. That's why it's important to vacuum religiously!
  • Liz4444Liz4444 member
    Maybe have an exterminator come in?  We just found out we have termites and carpenter ants.  They are spraying and putting traps on the outside of the house, it's safer.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• We had this issue last summer. I bathed him, did the salt in the carpet, all that junk. I finally read some reviews and purchased Comfortis. It's an oral medication. It's pricey, but totally worth it. I already have my new puppy on it, too. Have seen maybe one dead flea so far this year and the dogs never scratch themselves. 

• Brit448Brit448 member
    If you have carpet, vacuum vacuum vacuum. We had fleas so bad one time that they kept jumping on me and biting my calves and feet. I just vacuumed multiply times a day and sprinkled a flea powder on the carpet. Just make sure to empty the canister.
  • Not to stress you out more, but it can take 3-6 months to get rid of all fleas in your house because of their life cycle.  Definitely go to your vet and get help from them.  There is something they can give your pets that will kill all adult fleas with in 30 minutes.  It just takes longer to cycle through all the eggs, etc.  Good luck!!!

• Definitely call an exterminator.  It will be much less of a headache than trying to treat for months on your own.  Like others have said, make sure you vacuum and wash anything that can be washed.  Powders for your lawn will not work - there are companies that can treat your lawn, but they will not solve the problem 100%.

Also, make sure to only ever buy flea preventatives from your veternarian - the products sold at pet stores, Walmart, websites, etc, can be harmful to your pets.  Plus, the products from your vet will come with a manufacturer's guarantee.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"