1st Trimester

First ultrasound

I'm just curious as to when all of you had your first ultrasound.  Did you get an internal at your first appointment or did you have to wait till 20 weeks?

Do you only get one at the first appointment if they think something is wrong or do they do that to date the pregnancy?

My doctor's office didn't say what the first appointment would entail other than blood work.  I just feel like I need the reassurance to make sure everything is okay.

Met DH: 2.5.2008
Engaged: 4.9.11
Married: 9.22.12
Baby Girl J Born: 1.23.2014 via c section - Due with Baby #2: 5.27.2016

Re: First ultrasound

• A dating u/s is something that varies wildly from practice to practice, and also depends on insurance coverage. Not all policies cover them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageapostle85:

I'm just curious as to when all of you had your first ultrasound.  Did you get an internal at your first appointment or did you have to wait till 20 weeks? 

I had a transvaginal ultrasound at 9 weeks 5 days. Our first appointment. It all depends on the doctor's office policy. If you are unsure, then call your doctor and ask them what their routine is. 

Do you only get one at the first appointment if they think something is wrong or do they do that to date the pregnancy?

To date the pregnancy and to assess viability. 

My doctor's office didn't say what the first appointment would entail other than blood work.  I just feel like I need the reassurance to make sure everything is okay.

Call them back and ask. They should be able to tell you. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • KFiori1KFiori1 member
    Every practice is different. My Drs do one around 8 weeks, then the 20 week one.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks and then one once to twice a week due to growth issues for one of the twins I'm 10 weeks and 1 day so far we have had 9 ultrasounds and now we get one at 12 weeks for NT scan and then We will get one every so often to check growth and then the 20 week scan for anatomy and gender. But with my singleton we had a total of 8 it was just the way my OB did things.

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • This is my first pregnancy and I had my first ultrasound today at 6 weeks 2 days.  It was a trans vaginal ultrasound, which may be intimidating if you're not expecting it.  My doctor wants to see me back at 8 weeks to make sure the baby is growing properly and then I will have appointments once a month after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"