August 2012 Moms

Sippys only.

At what age are we supposed to start sippy cups only? Soon, right?

G's pediatrician told me to give him at least one feeding in a sippy cup. I haven't because he sucks at drinking from a sippy and I don't want him wasting hard earned breastmilk. But, I don't want him on a bottle longer than he should be. 

Is your LO drinking from a sippy, successfully? How many times a day? At what point are you going to just throw all the bottles out?

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
SCANDAL!

Re: Sippys only.

• Can you start with water?  That's what I've done.  I let her try it out at 7.5 months and just in the last 2 weeks, she's gotten it down and can drink from it correctly.  I just put 2 ounces of water in it.

• We never used sippies for forumla/breastmilk with the girls.  I started giving them water in a sippy around now (as I am doing with DS).  We stopped using bottles when we stopped using formula at one year, and I plan to do the same with DS.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Loading the player...
  • CRey13CRey13 member
    I usually give D a sippy with water after solids. Usually he looks at it and starts banging it on his high chair tray. When I hold it up to his mouth he's like wtf mom!

So no sippys for us right now.

However, he loves taking sips out of a regular cup and then spits out the water. I'm trying to discourage that but H thinks its hilarious.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Our pediatrician said he doesn't want her to have any bottles once she hits one year. I offer her a sippy at every meal with water in it. She's not spectacular with them, but she's starting to understand what they do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Outside of the 3 pump seasons he only gets sippies. By 12m they should be on sippies. Nene wasn't on all sippies till she was 15m. I couldn't find one she like, then she saw her cousin who is 4m older with one and she fell in love.
    Once I start the weaning process of half/half its going to be all sippies. I'm tired of washing bottles and pump parts.
  • We have been trying to introduce a sippy with water the last month or so but she usually just bangs it around. This weekend a friend recommended the Nuk learner cup and that was the trick. She takes water and breast milk from it and she can hold it better than her bottle.
    995468_10151780121619767_1204953917_n
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think we'll forgo the sippy cup, honestly. He's just not fond of them, which doesn't surprise me, considering his hatreds towards bottles. He'll drink from a regular cup without a problem [not BM though, that's strictly from the tap]!
  • lacloulaclou member

Our pediatrician said the same thing but she wasn't even holding her own bottle until about a week ago.  We tried and she was frustrated with it, so will try again soon.  Our ped also said to put formula in hers instead of water. 

• DS's pediatrician must be a little more relaxed.  She said that she wanted DS done with bottles by 14 months.  DS will drink from a sippy, but he doesn't like to hold it.  Silly boy.
                      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tula214Tula214 member
    My pedi told me at one year to ditch the bottle. He does get the sippy at meals with water, bit only drinks a tiny bit.

If I put formula in the sippy he drinks it faster than his bottle. He will only hold it when he's in his high chair.
  • ccamccam member

DS's pedi said no bottles by 12 months and to start slowly replacing bottles with his sippy cup.  We haven't started that yet though.  It's hard to do it since we're not home with him every day to get into that routine.

He is ok with a straw cup, but not so much with the sippy cup.  He doesn't get the whole tipping it back thing even though he's fine with his bottle.  His pedi said to just go with the straw.  He has only done water in it though and a few oz of his bottle that he didn't finish.  I'm hoping he'll be completely done with bottles around a year. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• He didn't mess with the sippy cup at all.  Seems a little better with a straw cup.  I've only offered water. DC offers some formula and then whatever he doesn't drink, which is most of it, they put in a bottle for him to finish.

I don't see this going smoothly.

• We're working on a straw cup now. SP wants us to replace one bottle a day with the cup by our appt next week (lol) so we'll see.... by her timeline he'll be well off bottles by his 1st bd.

We transitioned Jack right at one and he was super easy, never looked back. 

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Baby girl thinks bottles are evil fake boobies, so she's only using sippies, straws, and occasional swigs from my cup. 99 percent of the time it's just water because I'm a SAHM with no life and we BF. When I DO take a night to be a real life grown up, she takes her milk from a munchkin sippy much better than she ever took a bottle.

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageScout2005:

Also, I plan to build a pyre of bottles and dance the dance of the freed while they burn to the ground. I will likely cackle with joy and glee.

I will join you.  I look forward to the day when I don't have to scrub and wash bottles multiple times.  G*ddamn bottles.

• imagestephaniemthomas:
    imagepoppyseed1017:
    imageScout2005:

Also, I plan to build a pyre of bottles and dance the dance of the freed while they burn to the ground. I will likely cackle with joy and glee.

I will join you.  I look forward to the day when I don't have to scrub and wash bottles multiple times.  G*ddamn bottles.

Amen to that.  I'm joining you ladies as well.  We have the Dr, Brown's bottles and they are the bigges PITA to clean.  I'm so ready to be done with them.

omg I have the Dr Browns bottles too and I freaking HATE cleaning them.  After I weaned DS1 from bottles, I was ecstatic to put them away.  Then I got my BFP with DS2 lol.  At least I had a 9 month break from those stupid bottles. 

• I think with DS1 he just had the 1 bedtime bottle at 12 months.  After a few weeks, that one was gone too.

I think I introduced the sippy to DS1 with WCM and offered that every morning instead of a bottle of forumla.  Then eventually I offered sippys of water during the rest of the day.

With DS2 I just recently started offering him sippys with water.  Actually, thats a lie.  He just steals DS1s sippys and sucks on them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"