May 2013 Moms

Birth Story with PIP (Finally!)

So, I usually lurk on this board, but have been off since the birth of my first child, Miranda Lily, on May 17!  

Her birth story is pretty straightforward.  We had a scheduled c-section on the morning of Friday 5/17, due to a large uterine fibroid blocking my cervix.  We hoped that she would stay put 'til then, and she did!  

We had a 7:30 a.m. surgery time, and Miranda (Mina) was born at exactly at 8:00 a.m.  Despite my expectations, there was no screen obscuring the birth itself, so I saw them lift her out of me.  Apparently, I had a such a totally perplexed look on my face that both of the doctors kind of laughed at me (goodnaturedly).  In any event, she came out screaming.  

We stayed in the hospital through Tuesday, during which time she lost more than 10% of her weight.  Since her birth, we've struggled with latching issues and underproduction.  We've had to supplement with formula and her initial latching issues (which were originally solved with a nipple shield) have gotten worse and she seems to be seriously nipple confused.  We were planning to go to a breastfeeding class today, but I ended up spending 6 hours in the ER last night due to concerns about pulmonary edema, pulmonary hypertension, and/or postpartum preeclampsia, and am currently radioactive (but am otherwise clear of major issues).  We've been doing exclusively formula for the past 24 hours and I've been pumping and dumping.  Double yay. 

In any event, at our first pediatrician appointment, Mina had lost another ounce, and we were pretty disheartened.  But, at her two week appointment today, she's up 3 ounces from her birth weight!  So real Yay!  Now

I tried to post an image of her below...

Wedding Countdown Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birth Story with PIP (Finally!)

• She's beautiful, congratulations. Hope you feel better soon.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congratulations!  Sorry to hear about the issues you've faced after her birth, hope things get better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like a rough time! Congrats on your beautiful LO! Hope things continue to improve!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• imagecromie713:
    Congrats ! Can you pump and freeze instead of pumping and dumping ? Or are you not planning on going back to BF ? At least then it wouldn't feel like a waste !

I think she is pumping and dumping due to the health issues and tests.  She said she is radioactive right now...I read it as she's p&d until she can safely feed the baby her milk again.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCRLSMC2011:

imagecromie713:
    Congrats ! Can you pump and freeze instead of pumping and dumping ? Or are you not planning on going back to BF ? At least then it wouldn't feel like a waste !

I think she is pumping and dumping due to the health issues and tests.  She said she is radioactive right now...I read it as she's p&d until she can safely feed the baby her milk again.

That's it exactly.  I had to have a CT scan of my lungs, which required an iodine spread solution (itself mildly radioactive) to be administered via IV,.  I had to wait 24 hours for my kidneys to process the fluid and for my body to get rid of it before I could get back to breastfeeding the baby.  Unfortunately, my already-inadequate supply has further suffered, but we're working on it, and I'm starting to feel a bit better!  

Wedding Countdown Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"