Breastfeeding
Options

Let's talk about volume baby.

How much do you get per pumping session? A dear friend of mine would get 10-12oz per pump session when she was breastfeeding. I'm lucky to get 3-4oz. And that's a good session for me. Am I producing a freakishly small amount or was she pumping a freakishly large amount?
I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1Samuel 1:27 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Team Peeta Tag Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Let's talk about volume baby.

• Options
    evertzevertz member

I'm not at work yet but I had to pump after a missed feeding session yesterday and I got 8 oz total. I think I would have gotten more but it turned out I had a plugged milk duct so I only got 1.5 oz from that side.

However, there have been other times that I've pumped and only been able to get 4 oz total. So I'm not really sure what's normal for me at this point. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    gidgegidge member
    I pump 3_4 times between 7:30am (which is after the1st nursing of the morning/before work) and 2:30pm. I get about 7 oz total for the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    10-12 sounds like a lot to me for each session. I get 12 oz in the morning only because LO sttn. Otherwise at work I get 7oz, then 5, then 2. I pump about 3 hours apart at work. You can always up your water intake and eat oatmeal with brewers yeast. This has the most boost for me.
  • Options
    I will usually get 4 ounces if I pump an hour after I nurse him. If I miss a feeding I might get more. Sometimes I only get 2 or 3 ounces.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    I've been EPing the whole 4 weeks and pumping every 2 to 4 hours. I generally get between 2 and 3 ounces, sometimes less, total from both sides. I feel like that is super crappy and we are having to supplement with formula.
  • Options

Your friend likely had an oversupply. That level of output is way above the normal amount.

If you're pumping after nursing (rather than pumping at work during a missed feeding), even 3 to 4 oz. is a lot.

FWIW: After going back to work until about 6 mos postpartum, my first pump of the day yielded between 7 and 9 oz. I'd often get a total of 15 to 18 oz. from three pumping sessions at work, which was a bit above what DS was eating each day. My supply dropped a bit at the six month mark, and I had to start drinking Mother's Milk Tea and added a fourth pump session at home to match DS's intake, which was then about 16 oz. At 9 months he was eating about 12 oz a day and that's what I was pumping each day over four sessions. Now I'm down to two sessions a day at work which yield appx. 7 oz. total, and I get another 2 to 3 oz from a third session at home. DS is taking between 10 to 12 oz. and I'm dipping into my freezer stash. Sooooo ready to be done pumping.

• Options
    3 to 4 oz is my normal, if I'm engorged I'll get more. In the beginning with my youngest I had an oversupply and would get 10oz once in awhile but that was when I was block feeding to decrease supply.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I pump 3 times a day (right before work and twice at work) and get about 4-5 oz. per session. 
  • Options

I feed my LO at 4am and 7am.  I pump at 10a and get 10-12oz.  I pump again at 1p & 4p and get 6oz each session.  I nurse LO at 6p and 8p and then pump again at 10p.  I get 4-7oz that session. 

So I pump 24-32oz every 24 hours. 

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options
    SkyBeeSkyBee member
    I have twins, so my pumps are very high volume. The first 3 pumps I usually get 14-16 oz. The rest of the day I can get 10-12. I am now nursing FT, but when I was EPing that was at 7 pumps for every 24 hours.
  • Options
    I am lucky to get 3 ounces total every time I pump. I am consistently 7 or 8 ounces short from what my dd eats when I work. I try to pump 5 times while I'm gone, but I've yet to best her.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"